Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: It's coming...! 1UP Arcade sneak peek :)  (Read 7227 times)

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re:It's coming...! 1UP Arcade sneak peek :)
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2004, 12:45:48 am »
"Finished cabinets would include printed marquee and sideart, CP overlays, monitor, PC, controls, interface, and an attractive, pre-configured frontend."

What FE?

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2004, 12:50:50 am »
With respect to soapboy... 1up will be luck to survive at this price point. I work in the manufacturing industry, in a much larger scale. I sold over 14 mil last year, in a midwest environment (=lower cost compared to California), and luckily netted a bit over 100 grand in the end. This is for a business that is 47 years established, and is a niche market as well. Bottom line = it's hard to stay liquid in a world full of tightwads :P

Before you judge 1up further consider this. I watched a used jamma cabinet, 2 player with a computer trackball still on the cord, Mamewah on a nice pc with no special layout, loaded with games, sell for $2400 at the St Louis auction. If folks will pay that much for that, a new state of the art cab, with all the whistles, should easily sell for 1up's price point.

My $0.02... FWIW

MrArcade built that cabinet and other than the trackball it was super nice and had a cool brand new computer in it and arcadeVGA and a very good setup and all.

Did you see my cab at the auction? It was the red Mame cabinet labled MGS that was next to the Dragon's Lair. I got $800 for mine. Sure MrArcade got 3x as much for his, but his also cost probably 4x as much to build.

I'm on msn messenger now for the person who asked.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2004, 01:04:47 am »
I do agree, it's a bit expensive for this crowd.  It would be better marketted elsewhere.  Since this is a build your own arcade controls site people here, in general, build their own stuff.  There will be a few that will buy something like this.  But for the most part I wouldn't think it wouldn't be too marketable here.

Gunstar Hero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2004, 01:11:43 am »
I don't think the full on system for $5500 is out of the question pricewise at all... it's the $3000 "wood and connectors" kit that's the killer.

I think we ALL want cabs like that, but hell, it's not worth that much money just to avoid a little cutting and planning.

There are others...

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2004, 01:16:02 am »
Someone is going to come along and build a cab with their own version of retating controls and sell the kit or blueprints for a fraction of the cost. Just be careful that you dont' price yourself too high or it will happen exactly as I'm saying it.

There are half a dozen little garage shops that sell cabinets at a fraction of Hanaho's prices, yet Hanaho continues to do business as it has for years, and shows no signs of dropping prices or going bankrupt.

Why is that?  The difference is quality.  Hanaho has a different customer base than the nameless guys who sell cheap Mamecabs, and those people actually are willing to pay more because they know they are not getting cheap crap that is all out of square and wobbly.  I know the people who buy Hanaho, and they are highly paid film editors, CEOs, producers, directors, etc.  These are the people I'm going for.  The kits were just a way to give the BYOAC crowd a product that they could still customize.

This is an entirely different kind of product than anything that's out there right now.  It beats every other commercial cabinet in looks, function, and expandability.  It's at least 10 cabinets in one, without the cluttered layout.  It has 3 times as many controls as any other upright.

At this moment, I have dozens of people waiting to order.  Every time I even post on this forum, about any topic, I get about half a dozen more.  That doesn't sound like I'm heading for a dead end.  ;)

Oh, and if anyone else tries to market a cab with the same exact rotating design, they will be sued.  They will have to come up with something different to skirt the patent law, and it will either be more expensive, or of lower quality.  I'm not afraid.

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2004, 01:20:52 am »
"Finished cabinets would include printed marquee and sideart, CP overlays, monitor, PC, controls, interface, and an attractive, pre-configured frontend."

What FE?

I'm working on a deal with )p( to get Emulaxian shipped standard with a custom animated skin and some other bonus features...

My other job...

Gunstar Hero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2004, 01:29:27 am »
1UP, I have nothing but respect for your skills and your operation. I hope you have great success saleswise and take the world by storm.

And heck, sue anyone you want! We are a litigious people after all.

But it doesn't stop me, the enthusiast, from building my own rotating CP cab for the cost of materials.  ;)

And if I someday by chance have $6000 laying around, maybe I'll order the real thing.  ;D

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2004, 01:31:55 am »
Now, if you could only work out a deal with someone who owns the rights to some games (perhaps the LLC that owns Gottlieb's IP now?) That way you could sell your machines with games loaded, and legal to put on location!
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2004, 01:37:49 am »
1UP, I have nothing but respect for your skills and your operation. I hope you have great success saleswise and take the world by storm.

And heck, sue anyone you want! We are a litigious people after all.

But it doesn't stop me, the enthusiast, from building my own rotating CP cab for the cost of materials.  ;)

And if I someday by chance have $6000 laying around, maybe I'll order the real thing.  ;D

Absolutely!  I have no problem with anyone building something similar for their own use.  If you're one of the few with a copy of the original *secret plans*, or if you can figure out how to do it yourself, go for it!  Just don't give them out, lest they fall into the hands of the darkside...

My other job...

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2004, 01:47:05 am »

What FE?

I'm working on a deal with )p( to get Emulaxian shipped standard with a custom animated skin and some other bonus features...

HowardC called it in chat....

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2004, 01:49:27 am »

What FE?

HowardC called it in chat....

Yep, it's been my favorite for years!  ;D

My other job...

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2004, 03:14:11 am »

i dont know what it is... but somehow..  snobish, arogent, egotistical,  rich people piss me off...  >:(

all i can say,  is that if i had the resources,  id be making and selling cabs affordibly for the genral masses.   i also wouldnt be bragging like i was a god.   You think your the only one who ever thought about using the lower section for pedals/storage?   ::)    Maybe I should be suing..  I have proof of first rotating panel design.  Ohh... but hey, Im not a spineless buttplugger..

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Offline Offline
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2004, 03:46:37 am »
i dont know what it is... but somehow..  snobish, arogent, egotistical,  rich people piss me off...  >:(

...are you referring to me?  If so, I am by no means rich at this point...I've been out of work for a month now.  In the industry I'm in, I'm out of work an average of 2-3 months every year!  Shoot me for wanting to dig myself out of the hole I've been in for my whole adult life.  :P

all i can say,  is that if i had the resources,  id be making and selling cabs affordibly for the genral masses.

That's what everyone your age says.  Why don't you take a vow of poverty and do it anyway if you're so idealistic?  ;)

i also wouldnt be bragging like i was a god.   You think your the only one who ever thought about using the lower section for pedals/storage?   ::)    Maybe I should be suing..  I have proof of first rotating panel design.  Ohh... but hey, Im not a spineless buttplugger..

WOW.  You never cease to amaze me with your hatred, and always for no apparent reason.  I think its just that you never really liked me much.  ::)

So pushing my product in a confident tone (as any advertiser would, whining doesn't sell much) is 'bragging like I'm a god'?  And I never said no one else could make a rotating control panel, but if they copy my design verbatim (or at least close enough to it), it's a violation of intellectual property laws.  There is not enough similarity between our two designs for you to claim that mine is infringing on yours, and I doubt you ever took out a patent on it.

Mods, I recommend you lock this thread, it is about to get very, VERY ugly...

My other job...

JustMichael

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2004, 03:58:51 am »
Thread locked by request of thread originator.