Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Just bought cab!! isolation transformer question  (Read 2085 times)

roboto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2003, 01:04:44 am
Just bought cab!! isolation transformer question
« on: August 20, 2002, 10:34:32 pm »
I just bought my first cabinet and I can't wait to start working on it.  But I think before I even begin to mess around with the mame project, I should get the thing working as is.  Do you think that's a good idea?  
Now-the guy told me the monitor doesn't work because it is designed to be used with an isolation transformer, and somebody put it in the cab and didn't hook up an isolation transformer, hence the monitor is 'blown'.  He says if I take it to a TV repair shop or something they can fix it, but I'm pretty good with a soldering iron so I want to do it myself.  I also want to put a cap kit in, so I have to take it out anyway.  SO now my problem is pinpointing this problem--which part would blow if the iso.transformer wasn't hooked up?  Is it hard to fix?  
I'm pretty sure it's a wells gardner, but I left it at my buddy's house so I'll be sure when I really start tinkering with it.  Any ideas?  Should I try to fix it myself?  Thanks!!!

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
Re:Just bought cab!! isolation transformer question
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 12:04:14 pm »
With any luck just the fuses are blown on the monitor board.  Possibly the Horizontol Transistor is blown also.  Bob Roberts sells a cap kit with the Hor Transistor and fuses.  

http://www.therealbobroberts.com/

I had the exact same problem with a Spy Hunter Monitor (that was pluged in without an isolation transformer) and this kit fixed the problem.

-Dave

roboto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2003, 01:04:44 am
Re:Just bought cab!! isolation transformer question
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 01:44:32 pm »
Hey Dave-thanks a lot for your help.  Now I have a pretty good idea of which parts I need to replace, although I haven't looked at the board yet.  But I'm sure if I get a cap kit-like I was going to do anyway to improve my monitor, then I'll be able to compare the parts in the kit with the ones on the board.  Then replace them. Hopefully this will solve my problem.  Thanks again.
LIAM