Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finished Converting New Cabinet to Wonder Boy!  (Read 3525 times)

melarky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2020, 12:49:22 pm
  • If I could be any animal, I would be a llama
Finished Converting New Cabinet to Wonder Boy!
« on: December 14, 2007, 10:42:51 am »
Check out my new hot cabinet I converted to the best game in the world, WONDER BOY!

It was really tough to decide whether to make it a mame cabinet, but I couldn't figure out how to fit 5 joy sticks AND a trackball on the small control panel, so I decided to go with just a dedicated Wonder Boy instead.

waveryder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am
  • I Troop, therefore I am
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Re: Finished Converting New Cabinet to Wonder Boy!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:55:23 am »
That wasnt a STAR WARS cabinet originally was it? :o
When pixelated clipart just wont do, just call for Betty

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:14:19 am »
LEVEL42 is going to love it  :P

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 10:22:24 am »
 :laugh2: Oh boy. You're in for it now......
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Akuma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2011, 07:51:30 am
  • lp, lp → lk, sp
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 11:16:40 am »
hoax?

melarky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:37:25 am »
yeah, sorry, I should have written back and explained more on this, I just bought this arcade (already converted).  I was hoping the cabinet would be in better shape, but it's pretty much unsalvagable for a restore (tons of water damage, cracks, broken off pieces and panels, etc...).  I will use the dimensions of the cabinet though and make a new star wars from scratch (I have a CNC machine, and I have been looking for the star wars dimensions for ages, but could never find them and no one ever wanted to post them online, so it will be really nice to have them at my fingertips).

I actually finally plugged it in last night (didn't want to plug it in right when we got back just in case any moisture got into the cab on the drive home, thought it would be better to let it air out a bit).  It actually works (the monitor/PCB/controls etc...).  That's nice I guess (should be easier to sell the wonderboy stuff now).

I have many pieces already collected over the years to build my own Star Wars (the dimensions was the biggest missing piece).  I probably can't start on this project right away though, but when I do, I'm sure I'll post about it here.  Makes you wonder what kind of person would take a star wars machine and convert it to a wonderboy (the guy I bought it from had it handed down to him like this, he wasn't the one that converted it).  It's really really sad.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 04:42:35 pm »
LEVEL42 is going to love it  :P

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=68094.msg770541#msg770541

:) This one was posted on KLOV forum (or should I say KLOV fight-pit ?) first

arcadefever

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 10:43:18 pm »

Barry Barcrest

• I'm only in it for the lack of money
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2021, 09:54:17 am
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 02:09:33 am »
yeah, sorry, I should have written back and explained more on this, I just bought this arcade (already converted).  I was hoping the cabinet would be in better shape, but it's pretty much unsalvagable for a restore (tons of water damage, cracks, broken off pieces and panels, etc...).  I will use the dimensions of the cabinet though and make a new star wars from scratch (I have a CNC machine, and I have been looking for the star wars dimensions for ages, but could never find them and no one ever wanted to post them online, so it will be really nice to have them at my fingertips).

I actually finally plugged it in last night (didn't want to plug it in right when we got back just in case any moisture got into the cab on the drive home, thought it would be better to let it air out a bit).  It actually works (the monitor/PCB/controls etc...).  That's nice I guess (should be easier to sell the wonderboy stuff now).

I have many pieces already collected over the years to build my own Star Wars (the dimensions was the biggest missing piece).  I probably can't start on this project right away though, but when I do, I'm sure I'll post about it here.  Makes you wonder what kind of person would take a star wars machine and convert it to a wonderboy (the guy I bought it from had it handed down to him like this, he wasn't the one that converted it).  It's really really sad.

So do you have some updated pics for us then?

melarky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 01:03:47 pm »
I don't, I didn't think anyone would want any pics until I started actually working on it.  Once you see it in person, you can actually start to see some of the damage more clearly from his classifieds pics.  Like the side panels, there is only a small section (probably about 1' wide by 2' high) that isn't bloated and bubbly from water damage.  It shows up in the calssified pic as a shinier spot on the side.

I plan on documenting my work on this better than my last few projects (I always forget to take pics etc... while I'm doing the work, and only grab my camera once it's all finished).

I'm just finishing collecting a few more parts for this before I start really working on it (will probably have to hold off until after Christmas as I just spent over $200 on some parts last night and my wife did not look too happy and kept reminding me that she still had some christmas items she needed to buy...).

I'm really excited to get going on this project.  I do wish this cabinet was in better shape so I didn't have to recreate the whole thing from scratch, but I'm also excited that when I get done I'll have a pretty much brand new machine.