Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New j-pac alike jamma to pc conector in USA  (Read 18672 times)

ode1979

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2004, 03:44:09 pm
  • I'm a llama!
New j-pac alike jamma to pc conector in USA
« on: June 14, 2004, 01:06:49 pm »
I have develop a new jamma to pc conector so easy to hoock'up that will blow your mind...the product its so nice and easy that anyone can conect a jamma harnes to it. For pics go to http://www.mercadolibre.com.mx/jm/item?site=MLM&id=5699720 If you got any questions you can email me at ode1979@yahoo.com Im in denver coloradoshiping in the us its about five dollars and the product price its 45 dollars...faster delivery,easy handling and connections and cheaper priceAll products come whit a year waranty anf free help by email or phone.... Thanks for watching  (order of 10 or more get discount)

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
Re:New j-pac alike jamma to pc conector in USA
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 01:51:52 pm »
do you have any more info on your product? I mean, what does it exactly do and what is it capable of?  Why should we buy it as opposed to the Jpac knowing the exact capabilities of the Jpac.  More info will get you a lot more sales :)
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 02:41:19 pm »
Specs and info will help you sell this. If you can tell us more, I might be interested in buying it. Any links in English?

-Goz

AlexSledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2004, 08:54:55 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 04:51:34 pm »
For starters, what does "$230 c/u" convert to in US Dollars?

android

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2006, 09:44:47 am
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 06:48:50 pm »
OK. I went through all the Q/A's in the listing for this device and, from what I could gather, this board connects to the VGA, Parallel and audio ports on the PC, and the edge connector plugs into the JAMA harness in the cabinet. In other words, If you have a Jamma cabinet, this allows you to replace the original PCB with a PC. Looks like it is equivalent to a JPAC + ArcadeVGA (I'm assuming that it includes a scan converter to allow VGA video to be used in the original arcade monitor). The obvious disadvantage seems to be that, unless your PC game understands whatever this puts on the parallel port, you would need a custom parallel-port driver in order to convert PPT signals into keypresses for things like MAME and other games. The 230c/u seems to be Mexican pesos, or approx 23 USD.

-- Android

P.S.- I have a shipping address in Mexico, if somebody wants to try it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 06:51:06 pm by android »

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 09:39:20 pm »
OK. I went through all the Q/A's in the listing for this device and, from what I could gather, this board connects to the VGA, Parallel and audio ports on the PC, and the edge connector plugs into the JAMA harness in the cabinet. In other words, If you have a Jamma cabinet, this allows you to replace the original PCB with a PC. Looks like it is equivalent to a JPAC + ArcadeVGA (I'm assuming that it includes a scan converter to allow VGA video to be used in the original arcade monitor). The obvious disadvantage seems to be that, unless your PC game understands whatever this puts on the parallel port, you would need a custom parallel-port driver in order to convert PPT signals into keypresses for things like MAME and other games. The 230c/u seems to be Mexican pesos, or approx 23 USD.

-- Android

P.S.- I have a shipping address in Mexico, if somebody wants to try it.
Hi....everything you say about my product its right....i can see you speak spanish very well the price in mexico its right to ...but keep in mind that in mexico they cant aford that kind of money very easy and that im trying to make some money here so i can develop some more hardware and for less price...the advantage here its that you dont have to wait a week o maybe for your product to get to you and 1 year warranty i think its fair....i hope everyone likes this new product and hope to sell a couple of them...chears. :) and one last thing ...there are no drivers needed for this ...

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 10:02:18 pm »
Cool.  Send one to Kevin Steele, let him review it.

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 04:18:59 pm »
Sent PM inquiring on payment methods, etc..

I'm open to buying it to try and ship to Kevin if he wants to review it. Nobody does review like him.

-Goz

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 04:26:10 pm »
Sent PM inquiring on payment methods, etc..

I'm open to buying it to try and ship to Kevin if he wants to review it. Nobody does review like him.

-Goz
Hello....i dont know whos that kevin, maybe you guys can give me a link to know him and have his opinions about,it and if  someone wants to buy one to send'it to kevin i will be gald to sell the very first one here in USA...thanks guys. ;D

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 04:39:50 pm »
I'm watching this as well... sounds promising.

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 04:45:41 pm »
I got a pretty quick reply. He can only take MO or Western Union until banking is set up.

I will be purchasing one and let you all know how it goes and if Kevin consents to review it, I'll ship it.

-Goz

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 04:47:46 pm »
Hey guys this product its pretty nice and im a put a name on it right now its gonna be called "the shag mame interface"  thats how its gonna be called from now ...thanks and  i think you  guys should try this...no more keyboard encoders or  hacks or amplifiers or nothing just plug this in your cabinet jamma conector plug 'it in your computer to  and its ready to go no hard configurations and works whit almost every computer game.......comes whit a instruction manual and free help by phone or email (even though no one its goin to need that help) email me for more details  ode1979@yahoo.com   ;D

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 04:56:58 pm »
ill do the most posible to get a bank acount before friday if that makes you guys feel better....im goin offline till tomorrow so if someone whants to order  you know my email ode1979@yahoo.com  order "the shag mame interface" right now.... ;D

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 06:17:33 pm »
Kevin Steele is a guy on this board that does independent reviews of arcade parts and accessories.  His website, RetroBlast, has many reviews and video reviews.

If he gives your product a thumbs up, others will buy it.

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004, 09:51:15 pm »
i think i just sold the first shag mame interface today and hope ill get a good review on it in the future....good luck to everyone including me... 8)

MrArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 03:45:28 pm
  • I wish I had time to play these games !!!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 12:43:48 am »
Here is my question.  If I am not mistaken, a jamma connector generally supports only 2 joysticks and 6 buttons.  Is this all this interface will support?
Oh, the memories of living on pizza subs and Dr Pepper...

JackTucky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2004, 07:59:06 am »
Only accept western union or money orders?  I'd be careful....

Art
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

Lance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2008, 10:20:09 am
  • banned
    • arcade.spamrevenge.com
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2004, 09:44:27 am »
and one last thing ...there are no drivers needed for this ...

How can something that uses the parallel port not require drivers?

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2004, 12:34:04 pm »
Here is my question.  If I am not mistaken, a jamma connector generally supports only 2 joysticks and 6 buttons.  Is this all this interface will support?
Hi, iyou are right this product its been desing for games that have 2 players and up to six butoms but you can always conect more players and butoms....just buy my product and ill be glad to explain you how....chears. :)

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2004, 12:37:22 pm »
Only accept western union or money orders?  I'd be careful....

Art
Ill be careful to but im not a scum or something like that ...you can always call me at my house number that its 720-904-6812 i live in denver co. adress its 3245 wth 6th ave denver co. 80204 and my name its avel chavez anything ealse you whant to know to make you fell better ....and also im getting a bank acount pretty soon....thanks ::)

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 12:40:45 pm »
and one last thing ...there are no drivers needed for this ...

How can something that uses the parallel port not require drivers?
well...all i can tell you now its just that buy my product and i waranted that you wont be desapointed whit'it ,i provide a instruction manual  and help by phone or e-mail. like i say before the product its pretty easy to use and even i ofer full money back waranted.....chears :)

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 12:49:16 pm »
Well i see everybody its xcited about this product....so why dont we wait till "gozur" gives he's opinion on the product and in that way ill have more credibility and ill also probably have a bank acount so i can work in other methods of payment like pay pal or something ealse. im happy and i think this product will help others to make their mame proyects a little easyer.......my product its like havin a j-pac and arcade vga card and a sound amplifier plus the jamma finger board....think about'it its pretty need....also if someone its interested in buying the patent for this e-mail me at ode1979@yahoo.com  ;D

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
I see people its getting excited about my new product so i decide to post this mesagge to start taking pre-orders of my shag mame interface...its a pc to jamma conector that has the avility to conect  your pc to a jamma harnes without the need of a arcade vga card or a keyboar emulator plus you can also connect your speakers directly to your pc and much more.....orders will start shiping ha son has i get i review in my product ...see http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=20544 to keep traking in my next review...i will provide especification of my product only whit those that will buy'it , thats just to start making some busines ?what do you guys think? .thanks ;)

GameDork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2011, 07:56:45 pm
  • I installed a DDR Pad on Tom Cruise!!
I will definitely buy one if it gets reviewed by someone here or whats his name at RetroBlast and works like you say it does. Has anyone here ordered one yet?

Or you could GIVE one to be reviewed. Isn't that the way it usually works?
Donkey Kong Hi Scores:

1) 169,600
2) 164,300
3) 134,000
4)116,800
5) LOL!

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
I ordered one yesterday.

Once it arrives, I will pop it into a cab that is working fine with a JPAC and also try it in another JAMMA cab. Hopefully the two machines will provide an idea of consistency and ease of use.

If the manufacturer wont send a unit for Kevin at Retro Blast to review, I would be willing to send my unit to Kevin if he is up to doing the review.

-Goz

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
Where did you order it? Here?

I wish I could understand any of it...  :'(

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
  Actually I just sent him email and priority mailed him a money order we have communicated a few times via PM here. Sending MO to a stranger with no referrences on a product that nobody has tried takes a leap of faith. Hopefully I wont get burned.

I figure some times it takes that leap, but hey if it doesn't deliver, then he will get a bad review and then I will get my money back... if that some how fails to pan out, well lets just say I collect other things than arcade cabs (muhahahaha <-- evil laugh) Just Kidding... I hope it all pans out. A Jamma edge connector that does all that it claims would be awesome.

Time will tell.

-Goz

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
i will provide especification of my product only whit those that will buy'it , thats just to start making some busines ?what do you guys think?  thanks ;)

This is the only part I didn't get.  You'll only give specs out to people that will buy?

jcoleman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:05:19 pm
  • RTFM
Doing my best not to sound like a jerk here, but you have a few things working against you...

1) You don't speak/write English very well.  That much I can get over, but...
2) You won't provide specifications for the product.
3) You won't send a review unit out (you can specify that you'd like it returned)
4) You are new to the forum and seem to be only trying to make a buck, not contribute.

All these things raise red flags that (on the internet at least) say SCAM.  Solve numbers 2 and 3 and you will have much better luck.  In particular it would help to have a website in English.

Coleman

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
I'm curious as to how the parallel cable works.
Do you plug it in and the PC thinks that it's a PS/2 keyboard?
Or does it need drivers? If it does need drivers to work, will it only work with Windows?

GameDork

• Offline Offline
I'm curious as to how the parallel cable works.
Do you plug it in and the PC thinks that it's a PS/2 keyboard?
Or does it need drivers? If it does need drivers to work, will it only work with Windows?

He said in an earlier post that it wouldn't need drivers.  ???
Donkey Kong Hi Scores:

1) 169,600
2) 164,300
3) 134,000
4)116,800
5) LOL!

lokki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2017, 12:57:48 pm
Hi,
I have one like  this... I haven't used (yet).

It does need a driver it uses SNESKEY under DOS to do the Keyboard to Parallel.  Not sure how it handles on other OS
The design is pretty nice.  

Not sure how many keys it can handle.

BTW: In Mexico they cost about $20.00

Not sure He actually designed them. They have been available in Mexico for a few years.

Also I read the other thread and I don't think it replaces the ArcadeVGA you still need a OS Video card that supports 15 Hz.
They are normally used under DOS

The one I have seems to be modified (for more inputs)
version of what is found here.

http://snespad.emulationworld.com/welcome.html

all the IC you see on the picture are 4021s

« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 03:17:52 pm by lokki »

ani

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2004, 05:29:21 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2004, 09:02:54 pm »
This reeks of a scam to me untill it's up on retroblast and has some regulars who can vouch for it. Anyone in Denver that can check this out?

btw ode, if this isn't a scam, which I doubt, and you go through the channels to make your item legit, you're in for a bunch of cash.

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
this whole thing confuses me so much.  I can't wait till someone (Gozur I suppose) gets one and can give us some straight answers.  If this can take the place of a Jpac, arcadeVGA or both with similar features, I'm all for it.  But as it stands, this smells like a scam.
first off your and idiot

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2004, 09:11:33 pm »
ok ode, here's a lesson from someone who just finished 2 semesters of business courses based around technology products:

To sell your product, you have to let people know what it does!  So far you say "buy it and I promise it will be great"  That's all well and good, but to be honest, I dont trust you at all... why should I? I don't know you.  I'd be leary even if you were trying to sell me this through personal selling, but that fact is that you are doing this on the Internet, which is highly susceptible to scams and very hard to show "honesty."

If you hope to sell ANY of these, you have to give us information.  How can a parallel port device NOT need drivers?  Shouldn't it have to use some driver, as per the parallel port specs.  How many buttons can it use exactly, not "yeah, you are kind of right."  How exactly can I add more buttons?  Why can't you tell us, its not as if we are going to grab a breadboard and start soldering up some competition.

I really don't mean this to come off mean, but seriously, you need to give us some more info.  No one will buy a product based on your "guarantee" that it will work, especially seeing as you have zero credibility on these boards.

With that said, I am sincerely interested in your product.  I'd like to know if it works, and what it can do.  I will NOT, however, be buying one without more information, and I'd venture to say that many ppl on this board feel the same way.  I hope you take this to heart, and don't think I am just bashing you, because that isn't the intent.
first off your and idiot

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
Until I know more hard facts about the thing, I can't really comment. Other than I really like the name; I wonder which sense of the word 'Shag' is it supposed to reflect  on?  ;D

lokki

• Offline Offline
this whole thing confuses me so much.  I can't wait till someone (Gozur I suppose) gets one and can give us some straight answers.  If this can take the place of a Jpac, arcadeVGA or both with similar features, I'm all for it.  But as it stands, this smells like a scam.

Hi,
I'm not sure it is a scam. I have seen these things working. And like I said I do think it is clever design. (I'm in no way related with ode1979 and I do not believe it is his product)

A Few months ago I went to Mexico. I went into a store and saw an Arcade cabinet that was obviously running arcadeOS and MAME. A friend of mine knew the owner of the store and he let me have a peek under the hood.  I saw an interface card like the one they he is selling.  I asked my friend to get me one an a few weeks later he sent me one. I did ask if this card converted to 15hz and was told that you still had to do all that via the OS and drivers.

I did not receive any instructions with the interface card, but my friend later told me that they use sneskey on the cabinet.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 09:53:53 pm by lokki »

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
Here's the interface you have along side of the one that ode1979 is selling.
They look very similar, but there are noticeable differences. Perhaps some kind of 15hz conversion has been incorperated into it?? God only knows...

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2004, 10:15:20 pm »
Ode's last name doesn't fit the reverse lookup on 411.com, though the phone number matches the address.  Meh, my address matches my name and phone number.

How does one purchase boards and manufacture them without a bank account?  How is this different then the chump who offered notebook PC's with western union payments only?  

I guess a $20 risk isn't a $1200 risk.

Art
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

GameDork

• Offline Offline
I ordered one yesterday.

Once it arrives, I will pop it into a cab that is working fine with a JPAC and also try it in another JAMMA cab. Hopefully the two machines will provide an idea of consistency and ease of use.

If the manufacturer wont send a unit for Kevin at Retro Blast to review, I would be willing to send my unit to Kevin if he is up to doing the review.

-Goz

I'll say, if it doesn't pan out, then I could Paypal you a few dollars for trying for the rest of us.
Donkey Kong Hi Scores:

1) 169,600
2) 164,300
3) 134,000
4)116,800
5) LOL!

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2004, 06:43:16 am »
and why is it that it all seems to be coming from Mexico, but he claims to be in Denver? wtf?

hmmmm....
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2004, 09:39:02 am »
Denver....Mexico.. what's the diff?

Been to both places, wouldn't want to live in either. Just kidding.

I think one of the guys first post says something about him being a new import from Mexico. I'm just hoping that he doesn't suffer from cranial rectitus and that the product does what he insinuates it is capable of.

I have an address and a phone numer. I'm not too worried. I know a few people in the area.

Time will tell.

-Goz

lokki

• Offline Offline
Here's the interface you have along side of the one that ode1979 is selling.
They look very similar, but there are noticeable differences. Perhaps some kind of 15hz conversion has been incorperated into it?? God only knows...

Hi,
I don't mean to knock this. I think it is a good replacement for the j-pac under DOS. (I have no experience under other OSs). I'm not entirely convinced that it replaces the arcade VGA. But even if it doesn't It is still a nice interface.

MrArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 03:45:28 pm
  • I wish I had time to play these games !!!
Something else that I don't understand.....the 7th finger on a jamma connector is missing as a key slot.  The female jamma connector has a "bar" there.  This prevents it from being plugged in backwards.  If this is jamma, where is the keyway?

http://www.arcadetreasure.com/techinfo/techinfo.htm
Oh, the memories of living on pizza subs and Dr Pepper...

android

• Offline Offline
After looking at the pictures above, doing some research on scan converters and scratching my head, here's my best guess on what this is. Please note that I may be wrong, but given Ode's reluctance to provide additional information, I'll have to trust my instincts.

As I mentioned in the other thread, this thing will allow you to connect your PC through Parallel, Serial and Audio ports to your JAMMA rig. However, here are the caveats:

1. Since it connects to the parallel port, you will need to use a TSR/driver (SNESKEY/PSXPAD) to convert parallel input to keypresses. Configuring the drivers may require some extra work. Conclusion: no advantages over the plug-and-play functionality of JPAC.

2. I originally assumed that this device would include a scan converter, but given the complexity of converting a 31khz VGA signal into 15khz (and that ShagMame only has 6 chips, none of which is VLSI) I have strong doubts that this thing will include scan converting circuitry. Therefore, I have to assume that this connects your VGA directly to the RGB monitor, which spells disaster if you don't change the scan frequency from 31khz to 15khz *through the video card*. Therefore, you will have to reprogram your card to output 15khz using MONARC, ArcadeOS, AdvanceMame, etc. and the ATI / Blade 3D cards.
Conclusion: not even close to the functionality provided by ArcadeVGA nor a good scan converter (i.e. Extron Emotia).

Based on the assumptions above, here's a comparison table between the two devices. (Please note that I'm not including the ArcadeVGA into the comparison, as I believe the ShagMame is closer to the JPAC than to the JPAC+ArcadeVGA combo).

Feature .........................................JPAC................ShagMame
Jama fingerboard............................yes.....................yes
Input to PC through................keyboard port........paralel port
Requires port drivers.......................no......................yes
Requires video drivers....................yes......................yes
Protects Arcade Monitor..................yes.......................no
Requires software config(1).............no.......................yes
PC audio port connection.................no.......................yes
Can use in Windows.......................yes.......................yes(2)

Notes:
(1) Besides the configuration required to drive an arcade monitor.
(2) With appropriate parallel port driver: SNESKEY for DOS/Win9X, PSXPAD for XP/2000

Final conclusion: A Jpac provides better functionality, more flexibility and true plug and play requiring no drivers for the controls. Regarding video, they are equivalent, just acting as a VGA passthrough. However, the JPAC provides safety so that you won't burn your arcade monitor if you accidentally send 31khz through the VGA port. Unless you absolutely have to use the parallel port, JPAC is the way to go.

Final disclaimer: these are just my assumptions and opinions based on them. If ode wants to challenge them, I'll be glad to hear from him; I'd love to be wrong, as this would be a killer product. However, there's a reason why nobody has done it yet.

-- Android

P.S. - Edited 6/18 to include lokki's corrections regarding video drivers
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 11:13:18 am by android »

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline

Feature ..............................JPAC................ShagMame
Jama fingerboard.................yes.....................yes
Input to PC through......keyboard port........paralel port
Requires port drivers.............no......................yes
Requires video drivers..........yes......................yes
Protects Arcade Monitor........yes.......................no
Requires software config.......no.......................yes
Connects audio to Jamma......no.......................yes
Can use in Windows..............yes.......................??

Final conclusion: don't even bother. A Jpac provides better functionality, more flexibility and true plug and play requiring no drivers. And it provides safety so that you won't burn your monitor.

Final disclaimer: these are just my assumptions and opinions based on them. If ode wants to challenge them, I'll be glad to hear from him.

-- Android

I suspect you are correct and we have to assume this is accurate until we actually see the device in use and or the documentation that will only be provided with the product.  I volunteered to be the "Guinee Pig" (more balls than brains) because while I like Andy's products, I wished for a cheaper solution than ArcadeVGA + JPAC and then to potentially still have to add in an IPAC and wiring speakers when a cab is already has them.  I am not knocking the ArcadeVGA + JPAC combo... hey how else can you connect a PC to an ARCADE montiro in less than 5 minutes? Maybe there is another solution... maybe there isn't. It'll be fun to find out.

With any luck we are a few days away from finding out.

-Goz

ps if it only works in DOS then ODE has shot himself in the foot as far as starting a business. Not due to only supporting the one OS, but in failing to communiicate this critical bit of info.

lokki

• Offline Offline
1. Since it connects to the parallel port, you will need to use a TSR (SNESKEY) to convert parallel input to keypresses. Therefore you can only use it on DOS. Conclusion: no advantages over the versatile JPAC.
There are some drivers for parallel encoders..

http://www.psxpad.com/index_e.php

http://www.geocities.com/deonvdw/Docs/PPJoyMain.htm

I haven't test them or know if they work with this card

android

• Offline Offline
There are some drivers for parallel encoders..

http://www.psxpad.com/index_e.php
http://www.geocities.com/deonvdw/Docs/PPJoyMain.htm

I haven't test them or know if they work with this card

Thanks lokki. I stand corrected. Also, SNESKEY can be used with Windows 9X.

-- Android

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2004, 03:00:56 pm »
Hi folks sorry for the delay but i was out of town and having some problems...i see a lot of people dont like my idea of not given so much information about my product and thats ok, i know that when i getmy review some people will thinks the product its nice and others will think it suck's but thats the way life goes and has far has i can tell about my  self .....this its not a scum and if my name its not under my phone number its cus its under my dad's name and if you dont mind why dont you try to call me and ask me all the questions you got in mind...ill be glad to answer them....i got more then one year studing english so i dont speak very well but i do can comunicate nicely....just dont make any more negative coments on this and wait untill "gozur" gives hes opinion about'it....thanks guys  ;D

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
Hi guyz...why dont you guys talk all you want in this place http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=20544  here you can make your opinion and see what the advace its in my product and let this space for future orders...like it its..otherwise i may have to ask the moderator to close this space....thanks ;D

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2004, 03:15:37 pm »
I merged both topics together, since they're interelated.

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2004, 03:23:25 pm »
Thank you sir..... ;D

android

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2004, 06:05:37 pm »
...i see a lot of people dont like my idea of not given so much information about my product and thats ok
Ode,

El problema que todos tenemos es que, por la poca informacion que has dado, nadie entiende a ciencia cierta como funciona tu tarjeta y lo unico que hacemos es especular. Te propongo algo: porque no me explicas exacta y detalladamente como configuras la PC para que funcione con tu tarjeta y el JAMMA cab? You podria traducir la informacion y publicarla para beneficio de todos.

Puedes responder a spaceduel(at)yahoo(dot)com

-- Android

P.S.- Oops... should've used PM. Oh well....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 06:06:28 pm by android »

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2004, 07:46:03 pm »

Hoagie_one

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 12:36:28 pm
  • Um....whats a cabinet
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2004, 09:59:10 am »
...i see a lot of people dont like my idea of not given so much information about my product and thats ok
Ode,

El problema que todos tenemos es que, por la poca informacion que has dado, nadie entiende a ciencia cierta como funciona tu tarjeta y lo unico que hacemos es especular. Te propongo algo: porque no me explicas exacta y detalladamente como configuras la PC para que funcione con tu tarjeta y el JAMMA cab? You podria traducir la informacion y publicarla para beneficio de todos.

Puedes responder a spaceduel(at)yahoo(dot)com

-- Android

P.S.- Oops... should've used PM. Oh well....

Translated for all
The problem that all we have is that, by the little information that you have given, nobody understands for sure as works your card and the unico that we do is to speculate. I propose something to you: because you do not explain to me exactly and in detail as you form the PC so that the JAMMA works with your card and cab? You podria to translate the information and to publish it for benefit of all. You can respond spaceduel(at)yahoo(dot)com

GameDork

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2004, 01:01:22 pm »
Gozur:

Have you recieved it yet?
Donkey Kong Hi Scores:

1) 169,600
2) 164,300
3) 134,000
4)116,800
5) LOL!

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2004, 03:13:20 pm »
Sorry for the lack of update.

I ordered it last week and ODE recv'd payment on Friday and shipped it yesterday (haven't confirmed). Colorado is 2 days shipping to California so I should see the package tomorrow.

-Goz

GameDork

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2004, 08:53:46 pm »
Anything Yet?
Donkey Kong Hi Scores:

1) 169,600
2) 164,300
3) 134,000
4)116,800
5) LOL!

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2004, 08:56:39 pm »
Anything Yet?

Dude, calm down!  When he's ready he'll post.

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2004, 09:37:04 pm »
It didn't arrive today.

I'm going to request a tracking number etc..

I'm eager to check this thing out and have fresh batteries in the digital camera and will make available pics of everything from the board, software, documentation, packaging, and of course experience with setting it up, etc.

Oh crap that means i have to clean the game room.... damn!

-Goz

GameDork

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2004, 03:56:14 am »
Anything Yet?

Dude, calm down!  When he's ready he'll post.

I just want to know if thing is real! Before I pay  $150  to Ultimarc!!

I WON'T CALM DOWN!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D
Donkey Kong Hi Scores:

1) 169,600
2) 164,300
3) 134,000
4)116,800
5) LOL!

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2004, 08:26:02 pm »
I just want to know if thing is real! Before I pay  $150  to Ultimarc!!

This thread died.  IT may be time to get that $150 to Ultimarc.   ???

Art

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2004, 12:36:37 am »
It slowed down, but did not die.

I recv'd it today. Unfortunately I haven't had much free time tonight until now.

I need some info from ODE before I can proceed in reviewing the product. With any luck I will get a response some time soon.

The product arrived with zero documentation. There are a few wires that are not painfully obvious where they need to be connected. Since i don't have a full feature list, I am hesitant to simply guess and possibly hose the system or the JAMMA cab.

I'll keep you apprised how things go and will try to have some sort of review available by end of the weekend.

-Goz

Hoagie_one

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 12:36:28 pm
  • Um....whats a cabinet
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2004, 03:58:25 pm »
im shivering with anticipation

lokki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2004, 06:25:35 pm »
It slowed down, but did not die.

I recv'd it today. Unfortunately I haven't had much free time tonight until now.

I need some info from ODE before I can proceed in reviewing the product. With any luck I will get a response some time soon.

The product arrived with zero documentation. There are a few wires that are not painfully obvious where they need to be connected. Since i don't have a full feature list, I am hesitant to simply guess and possibly hose the system or the JAMMA cab.

I'll keep you apprised how things go and will try to have some sort of review available by end of the weekend.

-Goz

Hi,
As far as I can tell the cables are

1) Parellel
2) video
3) sound
4) 5v power???

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2004, 07:33:22 pm »

Hi,

1) Parellel
2) video
3) sound
4) 5v power???

Its the guessing on the mystery twisted pair that has me wondering. Would you want to guess that it's for 5v power and just connect it?

-Goz

lokki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2004, 08:26:39 pm »

Hi,

1) Parellel
2) video
3) sound
4) 5v power???

Its the guessing on the mystery twisted pair that has me wondering. Would you want to guess that it's for 5v power and just connect it?

-Goz

My guess is (I have a similar card but haven't used it) that it is power for the sound Amp.

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2004, 02:25:17 am »
Still awaiting info from ODE.

As soon as I get the reply wiith the features it has so i can accurately evaluate each feature and get the documentation for the jamma orientation and the undefined twisted pair. i will drop everything to review it.

-Goz

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2004, 10:24:08 am »
I plugged it in last night and while I am still awaiting info from ODE and some help troubleshooting a display problem. I figured I'd drop you a line and at least confirms that sound does work via the Shag MAME and the JAMMA harness.

I'd like to give ODE the chance to help me get the video set right before posting pics, but I'll say that the initial video seen on the monitor was not pretty. Once the video is sorted I'll move on to the controls aspect.

-Goz

menace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2004, 10:43:47 am »
I would think Ode would be a little quicker since you are now basically his marketing department--keep that in mind--if it wasn't for you, he would sell 0 units....  if I was ode I would be calling you every 10 minutes to see how you are getting along and to see if you had questions.  

My opinion at this point is that even if it would save a few bucks compared to ultimarc's stuff, i would much rather deal with someone who stands behind their product, offers technical support, has a legitimate business,  doesn't threaten to ask to close threads if there are negative discussions..etc, etc.

Ode has a lot to learn about selling new prodcust and I for one don't like being a guinea pig (no offence gozur, you are a braver man than I)
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2004, 10:56:16 am »
I'm betting it's just a keys interface to controls.  You'll likely have to set the modes for video yourself.

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2004, 11:37:14 am »
ODE had mentioned right from the beginning an option for someone to purchase the patent. I was really interested in finding out if this could be product that a reputable company would pick up. For instance if it delivers everything that is halfway articulated / implied it could be something that Ultimarc, Happ, GroovyGame Gear might be interested in acquiring.

I am disapointed so far in the communication in regards to the product and as ODE stated he is new to this. I would think though that if someone wanted this to be their lively hood that there would be better response, documentation provided, and upfront feature list.

I will continue to eval the product and write up a review for it, but so far it's not looking too good.

If Kevin or another wants to take a crack at a review for it, I will ship it to them as stated before.

-Goz

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2004, 01:38:03 pm »
The lack of info from ODE leaves a bad taste in my mouth, thats for sure.  This is definitely not the way to sell a product.
first off your and idiot

android

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2004, 03:30:55 pm »
Do the IC chips in your board have any numbers? can you post them? from those I could figure out once for all if it has scan conversion circuitry.

-- Android

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2004, 03:41:58 pm »
I'll be at work for the next few hrs.

Here's a pretty decent pic that you should be able to make out the chips.

Hope this helps

-Goz

android

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2004, 06:45:04 pm »
Unfortunately couldn't read the numbers printed on the chips... ???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 06:46:04 pm by android »

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2004, 06:55:26 pm »
Here are the #'s on the chips

44F7N5K
CD4021BE

All 6 chips appear to have the same numbering.

-Goz

android

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2004, 07:57:42 pm »
The chips are all CD4021's. They are all 8-bit shift registers. A shift register takes parallel input (i.e. buttons) and converts it to serial.  Sorry. No scan conversion circuitry at all. After scratching my head for a while on why they would convert from parallel to serial and then parallel again for the PC port,  I found an interesting piece of information on the net: can you guess what chip is used inside the SNES controllers? yep. CD4021.  So basically, what ODE is selling is a glorified NES controller.  It shouldn't be too difficult to clone the ShagMame with  a few modifications to this: http://mind.riot.org/elektronik/NES%20Controller%20Schematic.html  

-- Android
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 08:14:53 pm by android »

GameDork

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2004, 09:04:33 pm »
Where i s Ode? He seemed to reply often until he got the $45 and now he has been nowhere to be seen. If he held the "patent" for this, would he not know what its specs were?

I think he had nothing to do with the building of this and has no idea what it can/can't do.

Donkey Kong Hi Scores:

1) 169,600
2) 164,300
3) 134,000
4)116,800
5) LOL!

lokki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2004, 09:11:55 pm »
The chips are all CD4021's. They are all 8-bit shift registers. A shift register takes parallel input (i.e. buttons) and converts it to serial.  Sorry. No scan conversion circuitry at all. After scratching my head for a while on why they would convert from parallel to serial and then parallel again for the PC port,  I found an interesting piece of information on the net: can you guess what chip is used inside the SNES controllers? yep. CD4021.  So basically, what ODE is selling is a glorified NES controller.  It shouldn't be too difficult to clone the ShagMame with  a few modifications to this: http://mind.riot.org/elektronik/NES%20Controller%20Schematic.html  

-- Android

Hi,
I had posted previously on the thread..
Includes diagram for use with sneskey

android

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2004, 09:31:41 pm »
Hi,
I had posted previously on the thread..
Includes diagram for use with sneskey

Yep. That's all there is to it. Two NES controllers, this circuit and you're done. As it tuned out,  you had it right all along.  Your card and Gozur's are pretty much the same.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 09:43:45 pm by android »

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2004, 11:03:37 pm »
So this is basically two hacked NES pads?   Very disappointing.
first off your and idiot

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2004, 11:21:53 pm »
Ill be careful to but im not a scum or something like that ...you can always call me at my house number that its 720-904-6812

yeah, right.   Answer the questions then.  Gozur went out on a limb for you.

Gozur:  I'm in for a $1 to recover your costs.  Even though you shouldn't have sent the cash  in the first place  :P

Art

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2004, 11:29:10 pm »
Ill be careful to but im not a scum or something like that ...you can always call me at my house number that its 720-904-6812

yeah, right.   Answer the questions then.  Gozur went out on a limb for you.

Gozur:  I'm in for a $1 to recover your costs.  Even though you shouldn't have sent the cash  in the first place  :P

Art
hello.  i dont have nothing good to say but i know i didnt have the time to reply to gozur cuz i was in to personal problems i know i dont deserve a good review either but i want you people to understand that my intentions where good i all i want'it to do it was to help people reduce their coast to build a mame cabinet...i couldnt and i persoonaly will give the money back to gozur and hope he acept my apologies and if someone whants to help to develop this product into something beter i will be glad to sell or donate the patent for that porpuse....mi apologies to everyone in this forum and it was not my intention to hurt anyone....im just a regular guy that try to make some money...i couldnt...maybe ill have better luck next time. :(

Goz

• KOTA
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2004, 11:36:00 pm »
  Art,

While appreciated, it certainly isnt necessary. I am responsible for my own actions and understood the risk in doing so.

Hopefully ODE (AVEL) will honor his promise to me to refund the $.

I tried hooking up my arcadeVGA to the unit a little while ago and here's what the output looked like. At this point I'd have to say it isn't even a viable replacement option for the JPAC. Although the sound option would be cool

As you can see above, there is some sort of interference or sync issue with using the Shag MAME with arcadeVGA and WG monitor.

-Goz

ode1979

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2004, 11:41:00 pm »
 Art,

While appreciated, it certainly isnt necessary. I am responsible for my own actions and understood the risk in doing so.

Hopefully ODE (AVEL) will honor his promise to me to refund the $.

I tried hooking up my arcadeVGA to the unit a little while ago and here's what the output looked like. At this point I'd have to say it isn't even a viable replacement option for the JPAC. Although the sound option would be cool

As you can see above, there is some sort of interference or sync issue with using the Shag MAME with arcadeVGA and WG monitor.

-Goz
I am using mine without the arcade vga i got'it plugin in the jamma conection directly and i use arcadeos whit mame for windows not mame 32 i use a regular arcade monitor (phillips) and i dont have your problems....i dont use a striped vga cable i use a regular one...