Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What's your favorite upright arcade cabinet shape?  (Read 12930 times)

Brax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
Re:What's your favorite upright arcade cabinet shape?
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2004, 10:16:08 am »
#1 Defender
#2 Centipede
#3 Tempest
#4 Crystal Castles

Defender is THE classic shape. So many other cabinets seem to be take-offs of it. The shape really works. (Defender seems to even be a take off from Asteroids but they refined it and really got it right with Defender)
Centipede is is beautiful. The cabinet and artwork really work together. I always liked the detail of the cabinet shape at the top of the marquee.
Tempest has an absolute unique shape and classic 80's artwork. What's not to love?
Crystal Castles is another one where the artwork makes the cabinet but the unique shape of the cabinet really makes it stand out. I love that there isn't a square inch that isn't covered by artwork.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

erikthecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2008, 06:53:57 am
  • I 've Built My Own Arcade Cabinet & Controls!!
    • BYO Williams Defender Trubute
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2004, 01:36:33 pm »
it's got to be Defender style and home built.
go on build one!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 04:02:38 pm by erikthecat »
Regards,

GaRy:o)

----
please visit...
www.SplatThatCat.com/arcade/
www.SplatThatCat.com/artwork/
Classic arcade game playing,
in style, in your own home:o)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2004, 02:43:39 pm »
Just to let you all know, I sat down last night to revise the lines on my cab model, and ended up with a much more defender-esque shape!  Since my cab is about as finished as it will ever be, a lot of questions have been answered as far as how much room is required for a monitor and such.  Since I know that the production model will be using a WG D9200, I have changed the angle of the back-top  to more closely follow the shape of that monitor.  The result looks much more classic.  Also, the marquee area has been shortened, as it caused me a lot of headaches being right up front...BONK.

Pics later!   ;)

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...