Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MS-2933 Monitor Shiver issue  (Read 303 times)

grendelrt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:20:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MS-2933 Monitor Shiver issue
« on: May 14, 2024, 03:04:51 pm »
Looking for a starting point before I pull the monitor in my blast city (it sucks and takes 2 people haha). I have this ripple\shiver that vertically works its way down the monitor. I have had this show up in the past and go away on its own before. I also have noticed if I unplug the cabinet and let it discharge over a couple days it goes away. Took a video, you can see it if you look on the right edge. Its worse when running in 640x480 and has some lines that appear like tearing. Also doubt this is settings thing, but that would be nice if its something tweakable to fix. https://youtube.com/shorts/kZX9LtKxdCI?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:02:37 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: MS-2933 Monitor Shiver issue
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 01:38:07 pm »
I'm not one to normally just suggest throwing parts at a monitor... but, this is one of those issues you see where throwing in a capkit IS the thing to do here.. This monitor is getting on 30 years old now... change the capacitors on the chassis.

capacitor lifetimes are measured in HOURS not years, with some of the best electrolytic caps having 10,000 hour lifetimes (just over a year of continuous use) before they drift beyond their specified % amount.

capacitors (especially tantalum capacitors) are used in monitors to filter power primarily... but they are also used to time when to start and stop the deflection circuits to properly start the beam scans and whatnot... if the caps are getting old and are out of their designed spec... their charge up times and discharge times aren't accurate enough and the picture starts wandering all over the place and doing odd things.

find yourself a ready to install "capkit" for your monitor from a reputable company... theres a few arcade oriented companies that have put kits with instructions together for purchase.

grendelrt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:20:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 03:13:13 pm »
I'm not one to normally just suggest throwing parts at a monitor... but, this is one of those issues you see where throwing in a capkit IS the thing to do here.. This monitor is getting on 30 years old now... change the capacitors on the chassis.

capacitor lifetimes are measured in HOURS not years, with some of the best electrolytic caps having 10,000 hour lifetimes (just over a year of continuous use) before they drift beyond their specified % amount.

capacitors (especially tantalum capacitors) are used in monitors to filter power primarily... but they are also used to time when to start and stop the deflection circuits to properly start the beam scans and whatnot... if the caps are getting old and are out of their designed spec... their charge up times and discharge times aren't accurate enough and the picture starts wandering all over the place and doing odd things.

find yourself a ready to install "capkit" for your monitor from a reputable company... theres a few arcade oriented companies that have put kits with instructions together for purchase.
Yup Yup that's my first line of defense, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something specific when I pull i out other than a cap. I have already recapped my spares, I cant remember if I did this one at the time. I do have a kit for it I think sitting around, its my fav chassis to use since it trisync and autosync. Guess I need to set some time aside for a full recap :/

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:02:37 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:00:24 pm »
if you decide to go a cap kit, most of the cap kits are pretty decent with regards to quality... just keep an eye out for kits that has a suspiciously good price. they are often made with really inferior caps.... and while they will work just fine, their longevity can be quite short. a good quality $60 kit will contain every capacitor on the chassis and will be by good manufacturers, and will last you another 30 years. a cheap $12 kit will have the bare minimum of the most commonly replaced caps on that chassis, (sometimes only a half dozen caps) and last you till next year before having to replace them again.

if you decide to roll your own kit just ordering online... be sure you purchase high quality, high temperature, (and if applicable, for your SMPS filter caps...) low ESR caps... and order from a reputable company. (panasonic, nichicon, nippon chemicon  etc. basically anything japanese or if you can find them, american companies... Kemet, Vishay, and so on.) from an equally reputable distributor (mouser, digikey etc.) you are gonna want to avoid ebay, amazon...and sometimes... local electronic suppliers. (mainly you have no idea where they sourced them from.) as they often have quality name brand caps...but have been re-sleeved china caps. (i have a post somewhere on this site with a photo example of a re-sleeve)

avoid like the plague brands like G-Luxon, suscon, capxon... and anything that looks like a smattering of letters of a china sounding manufacturer... Fuhjyyu, Ltec, Omiyo, Wangcho.