Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Too Big and Spinny  (Read 5243 times)

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:12:43 am
Re: Project Too Big and Spinny
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2024, 06:17:55 pm »
Maybe some auto "trim" for sealing windows will do the job. It comes in a bunch of varieties, and often comes with adhesive already. It is relatively cheap. Available through most popular online shopping platforms. Suggested starting search terms: "car window rubber sealing strip auto glass".

I used some in my Aussie lowboy, between the hinged metal control panel and the front glass. On one side It has a cup shape which slips over the metal edge of the control panel, and the other side is a flexible curve that rests gently against the glass when the control panel is clamped down. It looks neat and tidy, has flexibility, easy to trim and apply, and being black (usually) you will barely notice it around the bezel area.

If anybody has an idea for a material to fill the gap I'd love to hear it. The weather stripping sweeps tend to be a lot stiffer than I'd want, I need something very soft and flexible enough to allow the screen to rotate in and out without being scratched.
Check out my completed projects!

TheRetroCarrot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:12:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2024, 06:26:16 pm »
The only thing that's kept me hesitant against rubber moldings like that is that if a tiny chunk of dirt gets in there it would probably be instant scratched bezel. It's cabinet paint which is supposed to be fairly durable, but I don't entirely trust any water cleanup product for durability.

TheRetroCarrot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:12:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2024, 06:28:12 pm »
Aha, I didn't think the bezel was supposed to be fitted when you rotate the screen. I figured you would just rest it on the screen area and gravity would hold it in place after a rotation of the screen. If you remove it between rotations it should be less complicated to fill the gaps, right?

Originally I thought about just having it on dowels and you pop it off every time, but I know if I had it like that I'd never bother rotating it. It's such a large unwieldy panel every time I moved it during the build I was liable to smash it on things and ding up the edges. The goal with this was to have it rotate with 1 finger and back up and running in less than 30 seconds.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:30:25 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2024, 03:05:34 am »
The only thing that's kept me hesitant against rubber moldings like that is that if a tiny chunk of dirt gets in there it would probably be instant scratched bezel. It's cabinet paint which is supposed to be fairly durable, but I don't entirely trust any water cleanup product for durability.

You could use clear spar varnish (don't know if that's the correct term, google translate says so), the scratch resistant stuff that is used on boats.

or

try to find some adhesive stuff that closes most of the gap without touching the bezel

or

try to find a metal strip that has a rounded t-profile like this:

Paint it in the bezel color and just plonk it loosely at an angle into the gap. When rotating the bezel, pull it out, rotate the bezel, put it back in.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:12:43 am
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2024, 08:39:01 am »
try to find a metal strip that has a rounded t-profile like this:

Paint it in the bezel color and just plonk it loosely at an angle into the gap. When rotating the bezel, pull it out, rotate the bezel, put it back in.

There are also black rubber car trim strips like this, no painting required, no scratching (like metal) as they are soft and flexible, and they come in different sizes. Some come with adhesive strips attached, if you want to make it permanent. If still worried about scratching, just elevate the strip so it sits very slightly above the bezel.
Check out my completed projects!