Main > Lightguns

IR-GUN4ALL - Enhanced Arduino-powered DIY 4-Point IR Lightgun System

<< < (6/10) > >>

ThatOneSeong:
v4.0 - The GUI update

Kind of speaks for itself, really, as most of the changes were made to facilitate this companion app that I developed in C++ w/ QT for Windows & Linux.
Some other niceties, like custom pins mapping (which you can now do without a master's degree in serial terminal use) taking effect in real-time, and fixes to the first-run UX, should truly make open source lightguns much more accessible than ever before; as one can simply grab the UF2, flash it onto their Pico/RP2040 board, dock it to the GUI app, set it up, and get to shooting in a matter of one minute -- all without needing admin privileges or a dev environment of any kind.

Might be a small thing to some people, but I'm pretty proud of this tbh. It only took a whole month of learning desktop app development and QT to do it. That said, it should work just as well for Windows 7-and-up and Linux, as I've tested this on both platforms.
The only caveat here is that I've received comments about compatibility with Arduino Nano RP2040 Connect boards specifically, which I haven't been able to figure out why that board specifically isn't handling inputs like the Pico or Adafruit board is. If anyone else with the Arduino RP2040 board could comment about their experiences using this firmware with it, I'd love to hear about it! Those things are costly for a broke ---smurfette--- like me, lol.

Oh, and one more thing! I've been working on a smaller side-project, also in QT, as a Lightgun-focused minified alternative to MAMEHOOKER that uses the MAME network output format - this should allow Linux users to enjoy the force feedback integration for native versions of MAME, Flycast, and their RetroArch ports, using the same configuration files. Since that's more of a general Lightguns thing though (as it should work across both this and GUN4IR) and not specific to this project, I'll be making a separate post about it.
But safe to say, I've been cooking for all of February, and I'm beyond stoked to see it come to fruition like this.

ThatOneSeong:
Enjoy the version bump.

v4.0-rev1 on the firmware side, and v1.1 on the GUI side, brings a reimplementation of the SAMCO Processing sketch into the app. Should be very useful for those who need to test their camera unit's alignment (and should mitigate any need for tertiary programs, aside from the GUI itself)!

The only reason the firmware was updated is to throttle the Test Mode output, because the damn thing updated every cycle possible - and with a Pico, that meant too many updates on the GUI's vector window that it had comically delayed updates; this resolves that. (^^;

I also updated the OP to better reflect the current state of the project (since there's no more need for IDEs at all post-v4.0 and GUI release).

ThatOneSeong:
Guess who got their Cabela's modded after all this time?

v4.1 is out to resolve long-standing issues with the initial analog stick implementation: it should work great now, at least for Cabela's Top Shot Elites.

UPDATE: Hotfix was just pushed out for a potential issue with hold-to-pause mode and serial handoff, but I also now have added Adafruit KB2040 board support! Because this version of the board is Pro Micro spec, it should be compatible with GUN4IR adapters or builds (assuming you swap the microcontroller out, anyways). Associated GUI update to accommodate this.

Daniel B.:
I may have missed it, as I've been out of the forum for a few years. Is there a BOM list for this project?

I've already bought a "license" for gun4IR and just want to figure out whats going to the best and easiest for me.

I have CRT arcade cabs but Would still love line of sight accuracy on flat panels and the like.

Appreciate all your hard work as I've skimmed this you guys are absolute Mad lads!

ThatOneSeong:

--- Quote from: Daniel B. on March 18, 2024, 05:19:20 pm ---I may have missed it, as I've been out of the forum for a few years. Is there a BOM list for this project?

I've already bought a "license" for gun4IR and just want to figure out whats going to the best and easiest for me.

I have CRT arcade cabs but Would still love line of sight accuracy on flat panels and the like.

Appreciate all your hard work as I've skimmed this you guys are absolute Mad lads!

--- End quote ---
*guy, it's just me working on this atm.  :)

Aside from having a Raspberry Pi Pico or board based on the RP2040 (the repo has currently supported/recommended boards listed and their upsides), there is no set BOM aside from if you want to add solenoid recoil, rumble feedback, or RGB output, since it's made to fit in just about any gun imaginable. Any additional materials needed, again, are listed in the repo's front page readme.

Though if you happen to get an Adafruit Kee Boar KB2040 and the firmware build for that, it can be fitted in GUN4IR adapter boards with (AFAIK) no problems.  ;)

That said, you will have to decide whether to use this or GUN4IR, as the 4IR sensor layouts are inherently incompatible (as in you can still use the same LEDs, just has to be arranged differently). I also can't really say whether one or the other is easier or best - this has 95% of the functionality of Jaybee's system with its own upsides (open-source, cross-platform compatible, faster microcontroller, analog stick and gamepad output support, more flexible and customizable in some ways) but I'm also the one making the thing so I'm obviously biased towards the thing I own--so, take that what you will.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version