Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ZapCon 9 - March 2024  (Read 9407 times)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
ZapCon 9 - March 2024
« on: April 08, 2023, 06:57:09 pm »

Hey friends, I’m just giving y’all a heads up - ZapCon will be next year, March 2024. Due to some changes in leadership, combined with some tight timelines, we decided to hold off putting on a show this year because, quite honestly, we just didn’t have everything in place to ensure that the show would be the same quality that you’re used to.

But I’m happy to say that papers have been signed, T’s have been crossed and I’s have been dotted and we are committed to having the next show on March 9 and 10th 2024.

I’d like to use this opportunity to extend an invitation out to those of you who have always wanted to come, but have not had a chance. I know putting out this news that many of the regulars (some who come in from out of state) will be there, but this show gives us the opportunity to come together as a message board and meet each other in person. I’ve made some lifelong friends from this group. I would really love to give everybody the opportunity to meet each other and see that, although many of us know each other from our online interactions of personas, we’re all just really good people. To that end, I’d like to personally invite people like Scott (PL1), Howard, and Leapinlew (but only if he follows through on his promise to face punch Mike A - I got money on it). I know putting faces to name is really humanizes things, and I’d love to meet you guys and have you meet everyone else. Plus Arizona in March means you get to wear shorts.

This past month, I had the opportunity to travel to London on vacation and had a chance to just really see the world out there. A week after I got back, my closest cousin growing up, who was my age, had a stroke and died. This past month. I’ve reflected on life in general and just how short it really is. I really value the real life friendships I’ve made with the people here on this board, I and would love everybody who has spent time here to have the opportunity to come out and meet each other and see how we really are the same. If I can get DeLuSioNal29 and Malenko in the same room, sharing a drink, we can all get along.

So you have a year - save your pennies, and let me know if you’re coming. As always, if you come from out of state, I will do my best to get you a pass for the show, and if you’re local, your continued hospitality in showing our out-of-town guests is always appreciated. If you are a regular, I look forward to seeing you again and participating in all the hijinks with you. And if it’s your first time, I promise we’ll be gentle.

See you soon!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 07:06:54 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: ZapCon 9 - March 2024
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 07:46:18 pm »
Yes!
Can't think of many things that would keep me from being there- and dragging my genetic legacy with me.

Couldn't ask for a better bunch of folks to be hosts to such an event either.
The local crew there is comprised of some top notch humans.

This time though I'm getting a room on site for us.
 :o
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Laythe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 02:00:38 am »
Thanks for the update, Yotsuya.

I think the odds are good for me to be at Zapcon 2024.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
ZapCon 9 - March 2024
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 07:46:52 pm »
Yes!
Can't think of many things that would keep me from being there- and dragging my genetic legacy with me.

Couldn't ask for a better bunch of folks to be hosts to such an event either.
The local crew there is comprised of some top notch humans.

This time though I'm getting a room on site for us.
 :o
Looking forward to seeing you and bobbyb13Jr again! Whooooo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 07:48:32 pm by yotsuya »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 07:48:03 pm »

AW HELL YEAH!!!!!

I’ll make sure we have a Hard Drivin’ on site!! If you haven’t seen Laythe play the game, it’s a thing of beauty!

melvinbates

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 11:39:02 am
  • Another day in paradise
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 01:32:06 pm »
I wasn't able to make it to the last one, here's looking forward to 2024.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 01:28:31 am »
I wasn't able to make it to the last one, here's looking forward to 2024.
Awesome, man! Always love seeing you there! Always appreciated the rides you would give out to the Monastery as well.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 01:27:58 am »
I was irritated to learn I couldn't book a flight today yet (I suppose that IS a lot to ask of airport schedules) bit I DID succeed in reserving a room on site.
I will arrive Thursday with my genetic legacy and an assortment of local (here) rum.
 >:D
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 03:58:38 pm »
I was irritated to learn I couldn't book a flight today yet (I suppose that IS a lot to ask of airport schedules) bit I DID succeed in reserving a room on site.
I will arrive Thursday with my genetic legacy and an assortment of local (here) rum.
 >:D
We may have to revive the outing to the Monastery just so you can experience it!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:36:37 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 11:19:53 am »
BYOAC Hall of Famer TacoTownCharlie came through Houston for a pre-game Zapcon 2024 warm up.

One of our first stops was legendary record store Cactus Music.  I was shocked to find this and even more shocked anyone other than me would consider listening to it in Current Year:

Then off to the 365 days a year "why do we even have a Houston show anymore" Cidercade which has $10 entry, over 200 games, and unlimited freeplay.  The Cider isn't unlimited, tho.   :(

---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- spinner rather than a roller but where the hell else do you see Major Havoc on location?

Took this picture to impress weeabos on Discord, Tony's son is in the background playing Hyper Sports

Tony just haaaaad to do better than me on Crazy Kong

But I got him back on Godfather.  Interesting game from Jersey Jack Pinball.  They had a repair guy in there that spent over 2 hours on it getting it working.  Not that I was hovering behind him the entire time.

And one final selfie back home with BYOAC legend TacoTownCharlie and product liability legend Lawn Dart.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:54 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 11:36:17 am »
Very nice.

Wish I had been there.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 12:42:23 pm »
Tony is a top shelf human.
His whole family in fact.
Miss that crew.

Can't believe I had missed the Virgin Prunes and I tried to buy a lawn dart set years ago and finally gave up.

I bet that was a fun time.

TacoTownCharlie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 11:26:15 pm
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2023, 11:21:22 pm »
Oh my brothers and only friends,

The idea was that if ZapCon would not come to me then maybe I should find ZapCon and go to it.  Or something like that, this was after a few margaritas on the back porch.  So I will go to where my friends are, drink and play all manner of video and pinball game.  Time for a roadtrip!

First, make sure I pack properly, this baby has yet to let me down (or let me get up off the floor).

The plan is to take my newly-minted High School graduate son driving across Texas to visit family and friends and find some ZapCon fun along the way.  First stop is to check out the world's largest roadrunner in the great state of New Mexico.  No sign of the world's largest coyote.

Next stop, check out the world's largest Andy Warhol soup can in the state where everything's bigger, Texas.  Human shown actual size (and a little wide, strange photo effect).

But then disaster strikes, the Trans Am develops engine problems just east of Dallas on I-20.  Eventually the decision is made to ship the Trans Am back home and continue on in a different car.  Nothing will stop my ZapCon quest once we have started.  I let PBJ know we might be a little late to his home arcade room. No problem though, that just gives him time to finish the pork cooking in the backyard.

Get in around 9 or 10 pm to PBJ home, eat and then we stayed up till 3am drinking.  Way to go PBJ.  Next day we drag ourselves out to get lunch and check out the Cactus Music store.  My son asked for a turntable for his birthday this year so he was happy to find the second half of the store was all vinyl. Now he gets to enjoy getting up after 4 or 5 songs to turn the record over, as God intended.

Now for some ZapCon fun, PBJ takes us to the CiderCade.  Finally get in on the Godfather pin only to go down in teeth-gnashing defeat.

A PBJ noted, we found the Major Havoc game.  It just doesn't work with a spinner, you really need the roller.  The game need both a fine touch at times and a lot of spin at other times.  In honor of our last ZapCon special t-shirt, I also played their Super Dodge Ball.  I'll need more time in MAME with that game before I can figure out what the hell was going on  :).

The had a 4-way Killer Queen setup and a real skee-ball set.  We were all able to get our Arcade and Pinball fix in for the afternoon.  Then it was time to fight traffic back to PBJ's home for pizza and beer.  A most excellent day.

Next it was time to visit my oldest son in Corpus Christi, Texas.  We were able to park our car on the beach at Padre Island, pretty neat.  PBJ let us in on the secret to parking without a pass; I guess it's mostly a secret since there are no signs on the beach telling where the no-pass areas are, just signs telling you there is a $500 fine for not having a pass.

A little sunburned, we made our way to Quasars that evening.  PBJ says that a forum member owns the place.

Pretty impressive, nice run of classic and new machines.

I must say I was really impressed with the new Stern Foo Fighters pin.  Great theme, great sound and play and it looks like it had a good collaborative development with the band.

PBJ texts the owner before we get there, it's good to have friends:

Looks like I need to break this post up, to be continued...
TTC

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 11:23:09 am »
Keep it coming.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2023, 01:16:01 am »

Sweet ride! That's a '79, right? I used to have one in college; Smokey & the Bandit version. Had the Olds 403 with the Rochester Q-Jet. Sounded so good when the secondary barrels opened up...

TacoTownCharlie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2023, 11:20:11 pm »
Hay Havok, good eye.  It's hard to tell without seeing the front end by my car is a '78.  Pretty much all they changed from 77-78 to 79-81 was the front end.  And yes, based on the look my son gives me when I open up the Quadrajet, it sounds so good.

Continuing on, PBJ was able to talk me into ordering and IPA at Quasars (trying to get that 10% kick-back).

All the marketing in the world can't save an IPA from a bad taste in my mouth.  But a few grudge match games will put a smile back on my face.  First up, Retro Racoons.  Last time I saw this game was at our last ZapCon.  Really had a fun time in 4-player mode.  Half the battle is just figuring out what the mini games want.  My oldest son beat all of us, giving credit all all the Wario games he has played.

Next up, Guitar Hero.  I think in another 5-10 years this will be the game that everybody wants in their retro arcade setup, even more than Golden Tee.  Now this was an interesting match up.  My oldest, on the left is now a Band Director with the Corpus Christi school system after graduating last year with a Music degree.  His younger brother just played a 2+ hour session with his High School Jazz Band (on bass mostly); he told us later that he left all his music at home so he just had to wing it.  All hail to Ms. TacoTownCharlie for giving my progeny such great musical talent  :cheers:

Finally back to my oldest's bachelor pad to get that IPA out of my mouth and check some Tears of the Kingdom.  Well the car is back in Phoenix and so am I so I guess this ends my first adventure to make ZapCon this year.  I'd like to do some more traveling this year so we'll see what happens next - MikeA and BobbyB13 are on notice!

What really made this trip special was the overwhelming hospitality of PBJ.  Staying up till 3am drinking and eating some great cooked pork ranks up there as one of my best ZapCon memories.  I hope everyone will make an effort to meet other BYOAC members IRL.  ZapCon is a great way to do that but don't let that be the only way.  Post back here with your meetups and let us know what is out there.

Thanks for reading this and I hope to see everybody at the next ZapCon in 2024.
TacoTownCharlie

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2023, 02:49:41 am »
Would be awesome to see you and any of the family out here TTC!
Stoked to block off the guest house for you guys when we can find a time window that works.
 :cheers:

I'm trying to sort out being able to pull off a legit lu'au dinner over there for ZapCon 9.
Have to figure out where we could do it and how many would want to attend.
Could be fun.

TacoTownCharlie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2023, 08:14:46 pm »

I'm trying to sort out being able to pull off a legit lu'au dinner over there for ZapCon 9.
Could be fun.

I will dig a pit in the backyard and work with PBJ to circumvent the Bacardi import blockade. We will have the finest rum as we roast the tastiest pig that I will now purchase and raise to maturity.  ZapCon deserves nothing less.
TTC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2023, 08:43:46 pm »
My plan was a bit more subdued really, aiming to try for some laulau, lomi salmon, and chicken long rice.
That was going to be tricky as it was I think.
Although I bet digging an imu in the backyard could work as long as we could find enough rocks!

We'll need to up the ante on rum if we hope for help from jawhn though.
 :D

Could be fun.

I will dig a pit in the backyard and work with PBJ to circumvent the Bacardi import blockade. We will have the finest rum as we roast the tastiest pig that I will now purchase and raise to maturity.  ZapCon deserves nothing less.
TTC

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2023, 10:32:48 pm »
So, I can’t speak for the dunes of Phoenix, but I can get an entire halal goat here from CostCo for ~$150 and I think about it every day.  I doubt I’m gonna leave this earth with a married man of good moral standing pointing me towards England and telling me it’s all gonna be irie.  I suppose we can arrange to ship a pig to Phoenix if necessary…

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2023, 05:53:05 pm »
damn his mullet is fire... Mine pales in comparison.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2023, 04:55:34 pm »
Been doing a lot of thinking lately about travel plans for early March next year...
%Bartop

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2023, 05:08:08 pm »
Do it.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2023, 06:43:24 pm »
My plan was a bit more subdued really, aiming to try for some laulau, lomi salmon, and chicken long rice.
Although I bet digging an imu in the backyard could work as long as we could find enough rocks!

Could be fun.

TTC

what kind of rum?
lite, golden, dark, dark spiced?
i prefer dark & spiced.
But golden isn't bad for sippin' either.
lite though, just buy it if i'm mixing.
I might know of someone who can get some ready by then.  ;)
TSA says 5 liters in checked luggage max.
wtf is a liter?

wonder how i'd transport it?
mini keg?

Now that my kids are old enough i've started taking RV trips to kentucky with friends for the bourbon trail in october and should recover $$$ wise by March
could def. see myself heading to AZ for Zapcon.

Plus i have family around Phoenix i haven't seen in yrs.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2023, 10:00:04 pm »
wtf is a liter?

Roughly the equivalent of a large Farva.
%Bartop

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2023, 05:24:39 pm »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2023, 11:00:19 pm »
It has been ten weeks of absolute hell here since Tony left. My backyard is ash and I pay stronger men to rake some of it up every week. 

I did sneak off to Cidercade in the interim to play Foo Fighters.  I mean, it’s creative.   :dunno

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2023, 02:25:45 am »
Been doing a lot of thinking lately about travel plans for early March next year...

Yes, do it! You missed me wearing my Ocho jersey last year.

7 months away! Can’t wait to see the lot of you!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2023, 07:52:15 pm »

Be there!!!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
ZapCon 9 - March 2024
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2023, 08:01:01 pm »
Paging [mention]Titchgamer [/mention] , are you coming this year bro? After all, I made the trek out to merry olde England in March. The least you can do is reciprocate. Bring your Henry VIII gear!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2023, 04:09:01 am »
Paging [mention]Titchgamer [/mention] , are you coming this year bro? After all, I made the trek out to merry olde England in March. The least you can do is reciprocate. Bring your Henry VIII gear!

But you didn't meet up with him. :P

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2024, 11:42:40 am »
Vendors have been contacted, game lists are coming in - who’s in??? Let me know, I have to start planning out the goodies!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2024, 12:10:25 pm »
Possible maybe.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2024, 03:03:38 pm »
Rest in Peace, Quasars.  :(

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2024, 08:32:01 pm »
Waiting to see the room rate before pulling the trigger.
%Bartop

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2024, 09:17:14 pm »
Room rate is gonna suck, they’re gouging the spring training visitors. Best bet is to get find a close AirBNB or something like that.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2024, 10:05:03 pm »
Room rate is gonna suck, they’re gouging the spring training visitors. Best bet is to get find a close AirBNB or something like that.

Oh god.  Been there, done that.  Anyone within 100 yards of that place got contact drunk.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2024, 10:05:34 pm »
Yeah, but I heard good times were had by all.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2024, 10:49:57 pm »
$322 a night... Good god...
%Bartop

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2024, 07:23:13 pm »
OK, its that time! Lists are being made, hijinx are being planned - who's in? Let me know your status, and I will update it, or add you to the list if you're not on there.

YES
Yotsuya
JulesWallet
Aceldamor
Toxicwes
Jawhn
Arcadenut
HaRuMaN
BYOAC First Ballot Hall-of-Famer TacoTownCharlie
DeLuSioNal29 +
bobbyb13 & Lil' Bobby +
Harveybirdman and fam +

PROBABLY, JUST WAITING ACTUAL CONFIRMATION
Melvinbates
Laythe +
Bperkins01 +
Nexusmtz +
Rablack97 (my man!) *+
Gamepimp *+
Vigo and Gozer +

ONE DAY, MAN, ONE DAY... I KEEP HOPING
Leapinglew
HowardCasto
DaOldMan
PL1
Xiaou2

TIREKICKING
Ark-ader +
BYOAC Soul Brother #2 SFII Arcade1Up

WTF EVER HAPPENED TO
RetroGreg
Jdbailey1206
Slippyblade
Gilrock
Titchgamer

NOPE
Malenkno +
Mike A +
BYOAC Soul Brother #1 Neph +
PBJ +
Arroyo +

* Denote rookie
+ Denotes Out-Of-Towner
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 05:45:02 pm by yotsuya »

jawhn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 04:08:51 pm
  • "The things you own end up owning you" -TD
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2024, 02:37:59 pm »
Happy to see I'm already on the list. It's time for my semi-annual BYOAC visit!

Tire kickers need to just Nike it. My very good friend Larry just passed away in December, he was ex military and in great shape and the same age as me - 53. Heart attack at home. There's always the chance that there is no "next year", folks...    :-\

Ready for Bobby's luau. Ready for moving heavy games. Ready for drinking. Ready for Yot's amazing BadgeBadge fun. Ready for drinking. Ready for shenanigans. Ready for our stumbling-distance AirBnB Bobby found for an amazing price, only 0.4miles / 8 minute walk away. Ready for drinking. Ready for Level 1's newest location that's CRAZY close to the venue, and finally checking out their recently opened basement secret speakeasy. Excited about this, you have to enter from the alley side of the building that looks nothing like an entrance... READY FOR EVERYTHING

Also, MikeA, getcher ass out here.

jawhn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2024, 11:14:28 am »
Oh, damn. I somehow killed this poor thread.    ???

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2024, 11:45:47 am »
Oh, damn. I somehow killed this poor thread.    ???
Naw, that was a great speech.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2024, 05:42:28 pm »
Found out that THE JROK (yes, that Jrok) will be at ZapCon this year, and I think he's donating one of the Willams and Mystar boards as prizes as well. He's a really cool guy. Come on out and meet him!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2024, 05:44:25 pm »

Any update? If yes, I'll find you a Hard Drivin'!!!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2024, 02:43:44 am »

Could be fun.

TTC

what kind of rum?
lite, golden, dark, dark spiced?
i prefer dark & spiced.
But golden isn't bad for sippin' either.
lite though, just buy it if i'm mixing.
I might know of someone who can get some ready by then.  ;)
TSA says 5 liters in checked luggage max.
wtf is a liter?

wonder how i'd transport it?
mini keg?

Now that my kids are old enough i've started taking RV trips to kentucky with friends for the bourbon trail in october and should recover $$$ wise by March
could def. see myself heading to AZ for Zapcon.

Plus i have family around Phoenix i haven't seen in yrs.

Holy crap, has it been THAT long since I really read this thread?!
I prefer dark rum and I think Jawhn prefers...
rum.
Getting stoked for this journey!

jawhn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2024, 11:11:25 am »
Hmmmm... Reply is not quoting your comment for some reason.

>Holy crap, has it been THAT long since I really read this thread?!
>I prefer dark rum and I think Jawhn prefers...
>rum.
>Getting stoked for this journey!

It's been so long that these folks aren't even aware of my newfound sobriety.

On weekdays, anyway. Since May 18 of last year, I've had less than 20 drinks total. (Not counting the ones I had in Hawaii, that's vacation booze and doesn't count. I'm not vegan.)

However, have no fear, the booze will be in my bloodstream that weekend. Gotta uphold tradition and all.

Spiced rum is my favorite, Kilo Kai is the top notch, Captain is my go-to, Kraken is also a favorite, Caliber is my cheap choice, and Bacardi isn't even worth lighting on fire. I don't know how anyone can drink that keroseney garbage...

I'm excited as well, but am beginning to sweat as it draws closer. Imma try and get 28 of my games there this year...

jawhn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2024, 11:26:54 am »
Bumping because Zapcon knows if you've been naughty or nice.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:35:02 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2024, 07:45:01 pm »

jawhn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2024, 01:06:05 pm »
Monday bump. Have we started a tally yet of all BYOAC attendees?

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2024, 01:19:19 pm »
Seeing as I have been both naughty AND nice does that mean I still get to go?!
I recall Gilrock mentioning that his workplace considers this particular forum "video gaming" and has thus put it on the no-no list so he doesn't chime in but he said he is coming.

Notable absences would be... Mike A and Arroyo?!

Who else should we be pestering?

And you appear to have missed this one Jawhn-

OK, its that time! Lists are being made, hijinx are being planned - who's in? Let me know your status, and I will update it, or add you to the list if you're not on there.

YES
Yotsuya
JulesWallet
Aceldamor
Toxicwes
Jawhn
Arcadenut
HaRuMaN
BYOAC First Ballot Hall-of-Famer TacoTownCharlie
DeLuSioNal29 +
bobbyb13 & Lil' Bobby +
Harveybirdman and fam +

PROBABLY, JUST WAITING ACTUAL CONFIRMATION
Melvinbates
Laythe +
Bperkins01 +
Nexusmtz +
Rablack97 (my man!) *+
Gamepimp *+
Vigo and Gozer +

ONE DAY, MAN, ONE DAY... I KEEP HOPING
Leapinglew
HowardCasto
DaOldMan
PL1
Xiaou2

TIREKICKING
Ark-ader +
BYOAC Soul Brother #2 SFII Arcade1Up

WTF EVER HAPPENED TO
RetroGreg
Jdbailey1206
Slippyblade
Gilrock
Titchgamer

NOPE
Malenkno +
Mike A +
BYOAC Soul Brother #1 Neph +
PBJ +
Arroyo +

* Denote rookie
+ Denotes Out-Of-Towner

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2024, 01:36:08 pm »

Notable absences would be... Mike A and Arroyo?!

Who else should we be pestering?

Yeah, they told me they’re not coming. They got other places to be.

jawhn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2024, 12:44:01 pm »
Maybes:

Melvinbates
Laythe +
Bperkins01 +
Nexusmtz +
Rablack97 (my man!) *+
Gamepimp *+
Vigo and Gozer +

Any updates from these fine folk? Only about a month away, better get to plannin if you don't want to experience the ol' FOMO.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2024, 09:10:28 pm »

Update:

I'm in.   8)

Any word on the actual passes or the hotel room block?  We're getting close and I haven't seen those come up yet.  I would like to put my money where my mouth is.   :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2024, 09:33:32 pm »

Update:

I'm in.   8)

Any word on the actual passes or the hotel room block?  We're getting close and I haven't seen those come up yet.  I would like to put my money where my mouth is.   :)
OH HELL YEAH!!!! This makes my show!!!

There won’t be any blocks. The hotel is notoriously stingy with them to begin with, but since ZC is taking place during Spring Training, they’re not offering anything.

The Azure Hotel is nearby and at last check was $60 a night cheaper, if that helps.

RE: passes, is it for you and NTJ?

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2024, 03:19:20 am »
OH HELL YEAH!!!! This makes my show!!!

There won’t be any blocks. The hotel is notoriously stingy with them to begin with, but since ZC is taking place during Spring Training, they’re not offering anything.

The Azure Hotel is nearby and at last check was $60 a night cheaper, if that helps.

RE: passes, is it for you and NTJ?

Good to know.  No prob on the hotel allocations, glad to know I should quit waiting.

Re: passes - yes sir!

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2024, 04:06:13 pm »
I plan on going to George's Wildberries and T.C Eggingtons for brunch. 

Not to mention I gots to get me some Republica Empanadas and of course some Cheba Hut...

My favorite thing to do at Zapcon is eat.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2024, 04:46:05 pm »
I plan on going to George's Wildberries and T.C Eggingtons for brunch. 

Not to mention I gots to get me some Republica Empanadas and of course some Cheba Hut...

My favorite thing to do at Zapcon is eat.
Good to hear, got confirmation there’s gonna be some food trucks again this year too

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2024, 08:12:02 pm »
Only thing that poor soul has in Oklahoma is Braum’s, admittedly damned good, and Cattleman’s, also admittedly damned good.  Other than that, it’s fried bull testicles at a Toby Keith restaurant.  Show him something besides canned green beans and mashed taters and his mind will be blown.

Wish I could make it but it’s out of the cards this year.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2024, 02:57:50 am »
I’m also not sure why this keeps happening, but Zapcon bros keep showing up on my doorstep.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2024, 03:42:32 pm »
Worth the trip! Thanks again PBJ!  :cheers:
%Bartop

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:42 am
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2024, 02:30:07 pm »

Oh god.  Been there, done that.  Anyone within 100 yards of that place got contact drunk.

Someone brings Vodka, I'm gonna drink it.  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2024, 10:57:17 am »

Someone brings Vodka, I'm gonna drink it.  :cheers:
TacoTownCharlie is probably going to have to drink himself to near death to make up for all the out-of-towners lost booze sales.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2024, 12:39:26 pm »
Dan Ond is coming?  Nice.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2024, 04:09:52 pm »
Not that I’m aware of!!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2024, 09:20:07 pm »
Not that I’m aware of!!

Umm, no not this time, harveybirdman, I was just mentioning fun times had by all at the Airbnb - BBQ and Booze night at a previous Zapcon.  I remember the next morning ... TacoTownCharlie carefully guiding me to a Taco and Dr Pepper hangover treatment. Jeebers I was totally MUNTED that night!   :laugh2:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 09:50:05 pm by Ond »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2024, 09:47:36 pm »
Literally ran out of all mixers in the house and it was straight McCormick vodka out of the freezer.  And Elvis karaoke.  Some dude started talking about selling monkeys.

:dizzy:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2024, 01:57:17 am »
Geez, I'm sorry I missed that one.
I can say that there should be whiskey made from Hawaiian honey and a fair amoint of rum at this coming one!
And nice to see you up for air Ond.
Sad to hear you won't be attending #9

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2024, 08:38:44 pm »
That Arzach pin looks badass!
%Bartop

jawhn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2024, 11:51:59 am »
Umm, no not this time, harveybirdman,

Dammit. I have some interesting vodkas I was prepared to bring.

Bobby landed a sweeeeeeeet AirBnB right next to the convention center, an 8 minute walk. But the people that run it claim that they have surveillance cameras and will call the 5-0 if they see more than 4 people there / any partying.

Soooooo... Unless someone with a room at the $$$Marriott$$$ wants to host, we're stuck drinking at The Diamond bar or Jawhn's CarBar.  :cheers:    It'll be interesting to see how cold booze can stay in the back end of my xB inside an ice filled cooler... At least the weather will be a lot more hospitable than previous Zapcon dates.

Alpha-tron

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 10:01:45 pm
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2024, 09:30:15 pm »
Got my volunteer schedule. I will streaking through zapcon in a red shirt. I missed socializing last time due to other people's behaviors. So I am flying solo so to speak.

I was informed that someone ran out of thier diabetes medication and hasn't been taking it for the past 2 weeks. This has put a wrench in my plans.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 01:24:01 am by Alpha-tron »
Ms pacman, Tron, Lunar lander and Battle zone

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #71 on: February 29, 2024, 01:26:58 am »
When I went to Zapcon, I went up to that upper balcony level.  Some random woman stopped me and I said, “nah, Steve said it was okay” and she backed off.  I’ve met a lot of 55 year olds named Steve.  Apparently she has, too.

Which one of you is Steve?

:laugh2:

jawhn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2024, 01:55:29 pm »
Collecting huge pieces of cardboard from work. In exactly one week I'll be sandwiching them between my games and strapping them inside a volunteer's 20' enclosed trailer. Gonna take at least 2 trips. Hoping it doesn't rain that weekend.

Can't wait to hang with y'all!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2024, 01:22:57 am »
The ---fudgesicle--- you stealing boxes for? What you trying to build, a clubhouse?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2024, 11:11:37 am »
Got my volunteer schedule. I will streaking through zapcon in a red shirt. I missed socializing last time due to other people's behaviors. So I am flying solo so to speak.

I was informed that someone ran out of thier diabetes medication and hasn't been taking it for the past 2 weeks. This has put a wrench in my plans.
Can’t wait to see you there, my brother!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2024, 11:13:06 am »
When I went to Zapcon, I went up to that upper balcony level.  Some random woman stopped me and I said, “nah, Steve said it was okay” and she backed off.  I’ve met a lot of 55 year olds named Steve.  Apparently she has, too.

Which one of you is Steve?

:laugh2:

TacoTownCharlie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2024, 02:09:00 pm »

Soooooo... Unless someone with a room at the $$$Marriott$$$ wants to host, we're stuck drinking at The Diamond bar or Jawhn's CarBar.  :cheers:    It'll be interesting to see how cold booze can stay in the back end of my xB inside an ice filled cooler... At least the weather will be a lot more hospitable than previous Zapcon dates.

We’ve used the red TacoTown cooler in past years, just parked it outside. It also makes a good seat for Ms. TTC.

jawhn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2024, 04:24:24 pm »
Man oh man I wish that parking right behind that photo wasn't so risky... It's right by the front doors!

It's owned by the church (or something like that) right behind it, and even though they're not known for towing people out of there, they easily could.

I will likely park my toaster just north of there, hopefully not too far away... And I need to remember to bring a small table and some folding chairs.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2024, 07:00:07 pm »
Yep I’ve bought my ticket to ZapCon and plan to stay with Bobby and Jawhn.  Yeah my work blocked this website and I always forget to look at it when I’m at home.   I’ve mainly been looking at posts on KLOV since they haven’t found that one yet…lol

jawhn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2024, 04:08:51 pm »
So much excite.

Just a hair more than 24 hours from now I will be loading about 14 games outta my house into my carport...

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2024, 10:15:26 pm »
So I haven't heard anything about plans for Friday night dinner... and since it's somewhat of a tradition...  the wife and I will be having dinner at The Monastery Friday at 6PM.  Hopefully you all will come and join us.  Let me know!   :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2024, 08:17:58 am »
Yots on KLOV asking me where I been….lol.   This forum is so dead he hasn’t even read me reply here 4 days ago.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2024, 10:54:33 am »
Yots on KLOV asking me where I been….lol.   This forum is so dead he hasn’t even read me reply here 4 days ago.
Heh.

Yeah, there is not going to be much of a BYOAC presence this year. Will do it up for next year!

My games got loaded up and taken yesterday. I will be there all day tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. Looking forward to it, it should be fun.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2024, 03:54:03 pm »
Preparations underway, just in case...

SOON.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2024, 07:42:26 pm »
Soo... anyone gonna make it to the Monastery?   :cheers:

TacoTownCharlie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2024, 09:18:40 pm »

Due to the very decentralized nature of our ZapCon social planning I don't have a definite answer to that.  :)

Based on my conversations with BobbyB13 I think there is a plan to hit Starfighters Friday night for their regular Friday 7-11 session.  So hitting the Monastry before that around 6:00 sounds like a good idea.  I'll tell everybody I talk to that we should go to the Monastry and Starfighters Friday evening (and maybe hit the convention space to help out if we can).  I'm packing up the coolers now so we can have refreshments wherever we are.

If @Jawhn see this, let us know when we can come out to your place to help you load/move.  I'd be happy to help anyway I can.

Looking ahead I think we're trying to plan a group buffet on the convention grounds (just outside on the covered patio) Saturday evening.  Everybody can be on their own for lunch Saturday to support any food trucks :)  BobbyB13 can share more details if he wants to spoil the surprise :)

I like to bring some pizzas Sunday for lunch.  I think that worked out really well the last time we were together.

Everrybody chime in with any plans you've heard about or would like have happen.  Like I said, we don't have a central planner so we will need to just talk it up with everybody as we go.

TacoTownCharlie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2024, 09:28:26 pm »
Also, if anybody needs a ride to/from the airport I'll have the official car of Arcade Gaming pick you up and put a cold beer in your hand for the trip into Mesa.  Just PM me for my cell #.
TTC

<edit> OK, I think the picture got a little stretched :)

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2024, 11:43:33 am »
Well I would be in for a trip to Starfighters and the Monastery on Friday of course.

Was hoping to see as many people as possible for the luau style buffet I've been hoping to pull off which we will do somewhere (current plan is the CC patio or parking lot) on Sat evening.

I succeeded in smuggling some Hawaiian food that you can't get here through the airport and then have plans to make a few other dishes too but it would be great to get a feel for a head count so I know how much to prepare here at the house.

I'm aware of about a dozen so far that I hope to see but please chime in if you'll be around and can make it!

Due to the very decentralized nature of our ZapCon social planning I don't have a definite answer to that.  :)

Based on my conversations with BobbyB13 I think there is a plan to hit Starfighters Friday night for their regular Friday 7-11 session.  So hitting the Monastry before that around 6:00 sounds like a good idea.  I'll tell everybody I talk to that we should go to the Monastry and Starfighters Friday evening (and maybe hit the convention space to help out if we can).  I'm packing up the coolers now so we can have refreshments wherever we are.

If @Jawhn see this, let us know when we can come out to your place to help you load/move.  I'd be happy to help anyway I can.

Looking ahead I think we're trying to plan a group buffet on the convention grounds (just outside on the covered patio) Saturday evening.  Everybody can be on their own for lunch Saturday to support any food trucks :)  BobbyB13 can share more details if he wants to spoil the surprise :)

I like to bring some pizzas Sunday for lunch.  I think that worked out really well the last time we were together.

Everrybody chime in with any plans you've heard about or would like have happen.  Like I said, we don't have a central planner so we will need to just talk it up with everybody as we go.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2024, 08:06:17 pm »
I'm outside at the Monastery in a bright red Atari hoodie

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2024, 08:23:53 pm »
Now moved inside because of the thunderstorm

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2024, 08:57:42 pm »
Update:  I am in town with Not That Jennifer.  We'll be hitting Starfighters in a bit, hope to see you there!

I'll be the bald guy in black with a BYOAC shirt on.  Some of you I recognize, some of you I surely will not, feel free to say hi.

Re: decentralized planning, we are head count 1 for luau - Not That Jennifer is on board.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2024, 09:27:23 pm »
Update:  I am in town with Not That Jennifer.  We'll be hitting Starfighters in a bit, hope to see you there!

I'll be the bald guy in black with a BYOAC shirt on.  Some of you I recognize, some of you I surely will not, feel free to say hi.

Re: decentralized planning, we are head count 1 for luau - Not That Jennifer is on board.
I tried calling you, but I don’t know if I have your most recent phone number. I’ve got your passes on me, just hit me up. Are you planning to come tonight for contributor night?

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2024, 11:47:15 pm »
I tried calling you, but I don’t know if I have your most recent phone number. I’ve got your passes on me, just hit me up. Are you planning to come tonight for contributor night?
That is my current number, and, oh hey, I have a missed call.  Did you know, Starfighters is pretty loud inside?...  Sorry about that!

I think we're in for the night, but we'll there tomorrow, 9am! 

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:42:39 pm
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2024, 10:44:17 am »
Hope you all have a blast, wish I could have made it!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2024, 02:01:29 pm »
Hope you all have a blast, wish I could have made it!
Plan for next year. It’s ZapCon 10 and it’s going to be a big one

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2024, 07:09:58 pm »
I did indeed have a blast.  I'm at the airport headed out now, but I'm thinking I'll likely be back next year.

Thanks Yotsuya for making sure everybody out there has a good time - always good to see you, man.  Enjoyed hanging out with you, Jawhn, Gilrock, TacoTownCharlie and the crew.

I think the highlight of my trip was having some time to meet bobbyb13 in person and geek out about our respective experiences of the hobby.  Mad respect for what you've been doing, keep up the good work. 

Hope to see you again one day.   8)

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2024, 10:41:59 pm »
I'm thinking of getting to ZapCon 10... hmmm. Did Neph go this year?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 06:53:33 am by Ond »

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2024, 10:14:12 am »
No Neph this year...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2024, 06:20:53 pm »
Thanks for everyone that came out. ZapCon 9 will always be remembered as the one with the night where Jawhn almost died and the cops had to come out to bust up Bobbyb13’s luau. Good times!

Once I get confirmation to ZapCon X, I’m going to start the hype train. For X, we’re going to do it up old school style - BYOAC t-shirts, badges, stickers, hijinx, and meetups. It’ll be !

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2024, 07:38:01 pm »
I really wanted to go this year, but it wasn't in the cards. I'd like to see X pushed back to April/May, but that's not for me to decide. Hotel prices were nutrageous this year. Also just closed on a house a week ago, again timing this year wasn't right for a trip for me. There were a lot of games I wanted to check out this year! And I hope those who did attend had a ton of fun! Perhaps next year... my vacation bank doubles in May, so it's probable.
%Bartop

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2024, 07:39:53 pm »
Some pix from this show…

Post whatever pics you got, fellas!