Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gun4IR - 4 IR points must be detected - tried 2x Camera Moudles so far  (Read 341 times)

m1n10n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2024, 06:01:04 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello,

First Gun4IR build - I am currently hitting an issue after attaching the Camera.
When I go through calibration I'm unable to make it through due to error:

The 4 IR points must be detected in the camera preview:

In the image we can see that there are 3 points detected ... but if I back up further I can see all 4 ... but I still can't do calibration.

I thought at first, this was due to the IR LEDs not being bright enough - but all LEDs were emitting light fine - I then went as far as to bridge one of them in each cluster to make the other two brighter, as I thought maybe the IR LEDs perhaps were not bright enough ... I'm not thinking this is it though (please let me know of your thoughts though).

I've gone through testing here and made a video to share, please take a look - the one strange thing: It's hard to see but: near the end you can see that the tracking of the mouse picked up in the OS, despite jumping around quite a bit, seems to be tracking backwards when moving the gun left to right .... I thought I must have a wire backwards but checked the wiring diagram (pdf and videos) and I seem to have it correct.  I've even taken out my 2nd camera (for my second gun) and wired that one up and my issue is identical.

Thoughts on what I'm likely doing wrong?

m1n10n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2024, 06:01:04 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
OK ... so far I figured out:

-The gun tracking backwards was due to the "TOP" logo not being set or the camera being rotated in the wrong orientation - got that all sorted.
-The tracking is still pretty jumpy - going to work on getting more IR light out of these LEDs ... or maybe I guess I need diff LEDs/diff resistor ... setup ... (using 37 ohm 0.5w)
-Looks like I had to have the trigger wired up to make it through this menu (for some reason I though I could use CTRL on keyb or something ...)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 06:01:23 pm by m1n10n »

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:33:29 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
OK ... so far I figured out:

-The gun tracking backwards was due to the "TOP" logo not being set or the camera being rotated in the wrong orientation - got that all sorted.
-The tracking is still pretty jumpy - going to work on getting more IR light out of these LEDs ... or maybe I guess I need diff LEDs/diff resistor ... setup ... (using 37 ohm 0.5w)
-Looks like I had to have the trigger wired up to make it through this menu (for some reason I though I could use CTRL on keyb or something ...)
It looks like your LEDs are awfully weak and low quality, you won't get very far with this model I think.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:16:08 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
I'll second that.  Unless there is an IR blocking filter on the camera being used, those LEDs should be bright and nearly white.

OP: Bridging LEDs is typically a bad idea, depending on the circuit.  But given the low output (unless they are already destroyed) they might still be ok.

What voltage are these running at and how are they wired?  At the typical 1.7 to 1.8v, three of them in series on 5v would need 1ohm or less (really 0, as there is barely enough to light them up). 2 in series is ~75ohm, or twice what you have.  Keep in mind that once you step over the ratings, output will decrease and the LED is immediately damaged irreparably.  Changing things without understanding the circuit and the specs of the parts in it, is a recipe for disaster.