Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Commercial Driving Cabinet Dimensions  (Read 1301 times)

Drakkorcia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 02:37:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Commercial Driving Cabinet Dimensions
« on: December 18, 2023, 07:55:44 pm »
Hi, I am looking to build a platform for a racing cockpit to raise the height for easier access and am trying to find some reference dimensions of an actual commercial sitdown cabinet; a Cruisin USA/World, FnF, Crazy Taxi (really doesn't matter) which all seem to have the standard build type. What I am looking for specifically is the height of the pedal floor from the ground (that you step on when entering), and then from the pedal floor to the seat rails. Sim rigs are just too darn low, lol. Can anyone with a cabinet measure this for me? I was going to go to the arcade, but, well, unless I'm replicating a redemption game there isn't one...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 07:57:56 pm by Drakkorcia »

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Commercial Driving Cabinet Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 01:25:37 am »
I have both Cruis'n and Rush 2049 cabinets.
Although the Rush cabinets are a bit wider overall in the main body and the pedal assembly/coin vault positions are reversed the height dimensions are nearly identical.
And so details of Rush cabinet seating ergonomics are...
With the casters and levellers the bottom edge of the main cabinet body and seat assembly (which is a separate unit and bolted on with some boxed rails) is already 3" off the floor.

The pedal assembly deck portion is 6" tall and so the actual height from floor level is 9" of course.

The top surface of the seat assembly box is slanted toward the pedal assembly and is 17" off the floor at the front and 19" off the floor at the back.
On the Rush cabinets the shifter assembly is bolted to the seat assembly box.
For the Cruis'n it is on the dash on the right side of the wheel (where the Rush has a keypad.)

The lowest portion of the seat (where your butt actually winds up) is about 21" off the floor when you account for all the slide assembly and seat rail portions.
Since the lowest point of the steering wheel is around 31" off the floor it allows a good amount of room for your legs and for getting in and out.

If you have any other quesrions or want pictures just ask.
I know these pretty intimately as I have completely rebuilt one of the 2049 cabinets and also the seat assembly for the Cruis'n.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Drakkorcia

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 02:50:33 am »
I cannot thank you enough for this, and pictures are always awesome to make sure I am interpreting your measurements correctly. The way my rig is now, sitting directly on the carpet is 8" to the rails, 11" to the seat front and 15" at the highest point of the side bolster. My plan is to make a platform using 2x's as a frame and putting a 3/4" floor on top of it. Cheap, easy, and will raise the entire cockpit up several inches. But I couldn't decide whether to go with 2x6, or 2x8 because I didn't know how high real cabinets were off the ground. But one consideration was how high to make the "step" onto the platform which is why I needed the pedal deck dimensions. Do your dimensions of 17" and 19" for the seat box include the 3" caster height?

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 04:07:07 am »
I'll try to get some helpful pictures tomorrow.
Those seat assembly height measurements are from the floor and so do include the caster height.

The Rush cabinets really are a comfortable height for the whole machine but it could be probably an inch or two taller or shorter collectively and still be fine.

The most important element where you are at with things would probably be seat and deck height relative to wheel and shifter placement/height.

This might either be helpful or an irritating rabbit hole!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=165153.0
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:58:08 am
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 08:52:58 am »
If you know how to use SketchUp, there are some models out there...

Rush 2049 Single Cab:
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/u42734a05-a80e-4b02-b176-710f772c08d9/San-Francisco-Rush-2049-Special-Edition-arcade-game-39-Inch

Rush 2049 Twin Cab:
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ucf87e352-fb51-4385-a753-8ced74201569/San-Francisco-Rush-2049-Special-Edition-arcade-game-39-Inch-Dual-Twin

There are a lot more models in the Sketchup Warehouse, just search around for various game names and you'll find more.  This is where I got the base plans to build my Daytona Twin.

The tricky part is you need to separate the wire mesh frame from the graphic mock up (layers), then you can start breaking the wire model down into sub-assemblies and dimensioning them out to create printed plans.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 07:37:21 pm »
The *stickied* Driving Cab Info/Beginners Start Here Thread has dimensions taken from my Virtual On conversion which is the same as the original Daytona, but the seat base (5.25" part) is a couple inches higher.
It also has links to the sketchup cabs.  It hasn't be revised since 2016, but most of it still applies. 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,105961.msg1122648.html#msg1122648

3.5" castors + 8.5" base = 12" to top of platform  (that is total height of castors which is taller than just the wheel)
The seat base for Daytona and Indy 500 were a couple inches shorter, but I found the Virtual On height more comfortable.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 07:49:00 pm by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 08:27:44 pm »
I tried using that diagram to sketch out my Daytona build, and it honestly created more questions than answers.  If I can remember where I put then, I can post the diagrams I drafted out for my build (based on the sketchup models).  And even that left a few things unanswered.

Drakkorcia

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 12:05:17 am »
All great answers. I have been leaning towards a 2x8 (+ 3/4 floor) which should give me an 8" step onto the wheel deck and 19" to the front of the seat from the floor which should be a lot closer to the height of an actual cabinet. I could also put casters or feet on it for a few extra inches; would just need 3 more cross beams to attach the casters too (the 1 1/2 inches of a 2x is probably too narrow for a caster/feet). At some point I would like to have a CNC shop cut out an actual cabinet where I can ditch the cockpit and have a plywood constructed cabinet with marquee and seat box, but that is quite a ways away, especially if the skeleton sim rig setup does the job.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 12:07:09 am by Drakkorcia »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 04:23:37 pm »
Absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, put castors on it.  Its going to get very heavy, and you're going to want to be able to move it.

Also, thinking about building sub-assembles so it can be taken apart to fit through regular household doorways.  Unless you have a double-door setup and that's the only place this thing is ever going to be of course.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2023, 07:22:25 pm »
Here is a zip of the plans I made for mine.  Let me know if you have any questions.   I made the 'head' a little wider than stock to accommodate a bigger LCD.