Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Automated Cabinet  (Read 46799 times)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Automated Cabinet
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2014, 06:49:13 pm »
This is great! You are the automation king!!  :burgerking:

I like the side emblem too.
Great job!!

nordemoniac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #161 on: September 29, 2014, 04:28:47 am »
Awesome project!  :notworthy:
So are you going to do a lot of software control on it? Automatically switching to the correct equipment based on game selection? F.eks. a driving game will automatically pull out the pedals, and remove anything unnecessary for that game, and display "Please mount steering wheel"  :dunno

Keep us updated! I want more videos  :cheers:

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2014, 01:37:50 pm »
I also had to do something with the sides, I really didn't want to get into artwork because of the cost and the whole process of designing it. I decided to keep it simple.
Ehm, I don't think you are ever again entitled too use that phrase after starting this project.  :lol
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:56:52 pm by nordemoniac »

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2022, 07:34:53 pm
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2014, 12:17:46 pm »
Awesome project!  :notworthy:
So are you going to do a lot of software control on it? Automatically switching to the correct equipment based on game selection? F.eks. a driving game will automatically pull out the pedals, and remove anything unnecessary for that game, and display "Please mount steering wheel"  :dunno

Keep us updated! I want more videos  :cheers:
To answer you question about automatically switching to the correct equipment, yes I am. I am using DaOldMan's Controlchoose plugin http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,117692.0.html. The pedals, shifter and steering column come out automatically when a game that uses them is chosen and retract when a different type of game is selected.
Because the Player has to push the wires for the Light Gun back down into the cabinet, I decided it made more sense for the Player to control the guns retracting back down by pushing a button. I like the "mount the steering wheel" idea, I have to think about that one.

"You don't know the power of the Dark Side"
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2014, 02:46:13 pm »
Awesome!
How about spring retracts for the pistol cables? Maybe like the air hose you find on garages and gas stations? Puls out, and it locks in place, then another pull unlocks it... I don't know, maybe a stupid idea.
Although I don't have any links at the moment, I know that there are wireless USB (WUSB) alternatives. Could that be a possibility?

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2014, 02:44:58 am »
I like the wireless idea.
You may still want a button to retract the guns, just so no one has a hand in the way when they retract. Of course you could also use a slip clutch on the closing mechanism that would not apply enough pressure to hurt someone, (Think CD drive door closer), but that is very iffy and could be a maintenance pain in the butt.

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2014, 08:20:58 am »
How about a microswitch/sensor which checks if the gun is in place before retracting? Waits 5 seconds after placing back gun, then retracts.
Would Arduino + Xbee maybe be able to give you wireless USB ports? I couldn't find any (cheap) solutions for wireless USB.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:36:43 am by nordemoniac »

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2014, 11:02:03 am »
If the driving controls will retract automatically, you might want to consider a microswitch to check that the wheel is disconnected first (or at least a safety switch that triggers if the retraction starts and the wheel is still on.  Either that or replace the threaded bolt on wheel with a keyed shaft so if it does retract with the wheel on, the wheel will just slide out of the shaft and fall off.

Awesome work, a lot of sweet stuff here.  Would love to see some glossy vinyl art to compliment the awesome mechanics.

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »
I did think of that, what I did was connect a bracket with a slot to the steering column, this will prevent it from retracting when the wheel is still attached. The panels won't close until the column is fully retracted.
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:15:23 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2014, 05:58:37 am »
I'm curious what you do with the dust washers on the joysticks (if anything) to hold them in place when the CP unit is rotating.  Do they fall along the joystick shafts when the joystick is pointing towards the ground? Or do you have some method of holding them in place?

darthpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Join, It's your duty
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2022, 07:01:39 pm »
I know it has been a long time since I posted but I have thrown in the towel on this crazy cabinet. It became way too complicated, I just could never get those rotating control panels to work the way I wanted them to. I started dismantling it this past weekend to make room for the Mandalorian Pinball Machine I should be getting next month. I don't know what I'm going to do with all the servos and actuators and so many screws.  I'm planning on bulding a Pedestal Cabinet using the current 50" TV in the Basement. I'm going to try and keep it simple but I may add a little automation in it.     
Automated Cabinet
Nintendo Pi
PiCubed