Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: eclipse button part question  (Read 3087 times)

vertexguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
eclipse button part question
« on: November 23, 2021, 06:24:36 pm »
The eclipse style buttons I got from Arcade Renovations forever ago come with a little black plastic ring that sits just above the black plastic nut.  You can see it in their photo here:

Anyone know the purpose of it?  Is it just to make the button optionally really tall above the CP surface?  Doesn't seem like it does much below the surface.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:18:34 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: eclipse button part question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 06:55:33 pm »
The eclipse style buttons I got from Arcade Renovations forever ago come with a little black plastic ring that sits just above the black plastic nut.  You can see it in their photo here:

Anyone know the purpose of it?  Is it just to make the button optionally really tall above the CP surface?  Doesn't seem like it does much below the surface.

The official reason:
The black rings sometimes supplied with Asian import buttons are not at all intended for installation above a panel.  I've seen them used this way and it looks ridiculous.  The only reason they exist is so they can be mounted to thin metal control panels, while using the shoulder to set them into place.  I.e. the rings are nothing more than spacers which allow the nut to clamp them onto the underside of the metal panel.  Without them, the nut cannot be tightened enough to make contact.  Also, using them to adapt to a larger hole is usually a non-starter, as their OD is often too close to the OD of the bezel to offer a secure mount.

A non-standard edge-case application:
If you install the ring above the control panel, the button body will fit into a smalller hole. (24mm IIRC)

Scott

vertexguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
Re: eclipse button part question
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 07:27:16 pm »
Thanks Scott!  I had a feeling you would know all the details. :)