Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Has anyone gotten a local Nintendo WFC server working?  (Read 3598 times)

nugarp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:42:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Has anyone gotten a local Nintendo WFC server working?
« on: July 20, 2020, 05:00:19 pm »
Hi, as the topic asks - have any of you gotten a local Wii WFC server working? I.e. playing Mario Kart Wii over LAN (although the game would see it as over Nintendo WFC).

There are public ones that you should just be able to connect to, e.g. Wiimmfi

There are a few servers available that let you host your own, private nintendo WFC server as well https://github.com/barronwaffles/dwc_network_server_emulator & https://github.com/EnergyCube/CoWFC

I'm having a hard time getting something to work with Dolphin and a local WFC server. I tried installing DWC_Network_Server_Emulator on my raspberry pi (can't install CoWFC on it), which is hardwired to my LAN-only network on which my cabs reside.

If this can be done, in theory, we would have at least one variant of Mario Kart that isn't rubber banded all-to-hell (GP DX is awful for this), we'd have a version of Sega All-Stars Racing we could play over LAN, and we could also try Excite Truck. I haven't found a solid tutorial for Dolphin + DWC Network Server Emulator.
Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

Yuri Bacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2021, 05:49:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Has anyone gotten a local Nintendo WFC server working?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 06:28:24 am »
I just set this up myself. The second repo you linked is the repository you want. Personally, I set it up in VirtualBox running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Desktop (tho Server would be more performant), and just followed the repo's readme. Once it was installed, everything auto booted on its own. The only extra things I needed to do were:

1) Run
Code: [Select]
sudo service dnsmasq restart on boot (you get error 20100 when connecting otherwise, IDK why).

2) Change your Wii's DNS settings to use the IP running the CoWFC server as the primary DNS, and then probably 9.9.9.9 or your DNS of preference as a secondary (doesn't really matter anyways).

3) Set up a No SSL patch. You can do this either in USB Loader GX, or with a GCT cheat. Homebrew channel needed either way.

4) Load up the game, and enjoy.

Just don't use a license that already has an friend code on it, 'cause that'll give you an error (60000). Personally, I'd use GCT for the No SSL patch so while you're at it, you can use the Ultimate License Unlocker Cheat to unlock all characters, vehicles, and tracks on all 4 licenses, and the High Data Rate cheat, which makes the game send a packet every frame (instead of every other frame) to all clients (instead of only one client at a time). Just note that the high data rate cheat makes your console crash when trying to join Worldwide or Regional races, so you'll have to spend the time needed to enter friend codes and make a friend room with that code. Feel free to use whatever other codes you feel like while you're at it.

Using Dolphin is no different than a Wii, but it takes your IP and network settings from your OS, so you'll want to change your network settings for your network connection to use your CoWFC's IP as DNS accordingly, and Dolphin will match. You can enter cheats into Dolphin by right clicking your game, and clicking Properties, then going to Gecko Codes. The cool thing about this, is that you can run multiple instances of Dolphin on the same computer and have them all connect properly, and use any mix of Wiis, Wii Us, and PCs running Dolphin instance(s) and have it all work out great.

If you wanted to play a custom track distribution, then all you should need to do is patch the custom tracks into your ISO. CTGP doesn't support this AFAIK, but most others should. I don't have much experience using CTs tho so I couldn't help you much :P

Hope this helps! Enjoy~