Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help with de-casing CRT computer monitor  (Read 2129 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:39:33 am
Need help with de-casing CRT computer monitor
« on: July 30, 2020, 12:37:40 pm »
I just took off the back of the case to my Dell monitor, which was pretty easy, and I can see how to remove the front bezel but all of the electronics seem to be attached to the bezel itself (see the pics).  Any ideas on how to get the bezel off and still support everything?

If I slide the metal casing out of the plastic I don’t think there will be any support.  I'm hoping there is an easy way to do this. I just need to take some measurements and then use the corner mounting brackets to attach it to a piece of MDF, which I will then slide into the cabinet on some rails.  I thought this was going to be simple!

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Need help with de-casing CRT computer monitor
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 07:42:25 pm »
I would guess you have to unplug everything from the tube, unclip the chassis and slide it out of the plastic rails, then figure out how to get the tube out, figure out how you're going to mount it all and connect everything back up again :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 08:33:15 pm »
I would guess you have to unplug everything from the tube, unclip the chassis and slide it out of the plastic rails, then figure out how to get the tube out, figure out how you're going to mount it all and connect everything back up again :)

Thanks.  I was hoping to not have to do that.  I am not comfortable touching the suction cup thing and detaching it from the back of the tube.  The other wires might be doable - mostly looks like grounded wires and molex connectors to the PCB.  But I have a healthy fear of these things and I'm not brave (dumb?) enough to push my luck.

I should probably see if I can just mount it with the case on but honestly, I wasn't planning on it and I'm not sure how since it is such an irregular shape.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:33:53 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 12:08:49 am »
Plenty of YT videos on how to discharge the CRT with a flathead screwdriver, alligator clips and some wire. Take lots of photos before you disconnect anything. Tell your significant other, or someone else at home, what you are doing.
Check out my completed projects!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 08:59:26 am »
Plenty of YT videos on how to discharge the CRT with a flathead screwdriver, alligator clips and some wire. Take lots of photos before you disconnect anything. Tell your significant other, or someone else at home, what you are doing.

Is it really as easy as it looks?  I've watched a bunch of videos and all they do is stick a grounded screwdriver up and under the suction cup to touch the metal underneath.  Most of the videos say you will hear a popping sound but they almost never do so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 09:10:51 am »
It really is as easy as it looks.

Sometimes you get a loud pop, sometimes a crickle, sometimes nothing (many more modern CRTs have discharging circuits to drain charge). Hold screwdriver there for a few seconds

Fwiw I’ve been zapped a few time by the anode despite discharging, because CRT can still have some charge even after discharging (is why I say keep screwdriver there a few seconds). It definitely tickles when it zaps your inside forearm where the skin is more sensitive :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:18:54 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 09:13:46 am »
Yes it is that easy.

Stick one hand in your back pocket to keep it out of the way.

I do it once. Wait a minute and then do it again.

I haven't been zapped ...yet.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 09:25:48 am »
You have likely been zapped with static electricity louder than the pop you will hear..  and with as many volts..
It's only nerve wracking the very first time..  after that its old news..   
The real trick is making sure you get the prongs squeezed and re-inserted properly..  You flip the sides of the suction cup UP - then squeeze the prongs and you want them both INSIDE the hole and grabbing the inside..  then let the cup wings down and give it a little tug/twist.  It should be pretty firmly in place.
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:18:54 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 09:40:41 am »
The real trick is making sure you get the prongs squeezed and re-inserted properly..  You flip the sides of the suction cup UP - then squeeze the prongs and you want them both INSIDE the hole and grabbing the inside..  then let the cup wings down and give it a little tug/twist.  It should be pretty firmly in place.

That sounds like dating advice.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 09:44:27 am »

That sounds like dating advice.

yea..  a little bit..
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 09:48:37 am »
Except in this case you should definitely not use a condom while inserting your tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 10:07:58 am »
I've gone back and forth 50 times from discharging the monitor and removing the circuit board and installing it using the corner brackets to just making a big shelf to hold the monitor in place.  I can't decide... maybe if I take the case off for the 10th time I'll make up my mind.

Ideally, I'd be able to remove the bezel and somehow just hold the circuit board close to the tube when I fit it for the MDF and then attach it to a perpendicular piece of MDF like this (mine will be mounted horizontally):

The trick is going to be making sure it doesn't fall apart/get damaged when I take it apart.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 12:15:50 pm »
You should try to avoid screwing it in from the bottom, like in that pic. The problem with screwing it in from the bottom is that the only thing holding that somewhat heavy tube in place is the screws thread, which is pretty thin. The thought of that makes me nervous.

Preferably, your tube would instead sit on top of the wood, secured by T-nuts at the corner pegs. That way your tube is supported at each corner by all the wood and CRT corner pegs. This will be much more secure and sturdy.

You should be able to slide the chassis out from that bracket attached to the bezel/front. Looks like clips on the side, near where that ground lead is attached (like buttersoft mentioned earlier)

Once you have the CRT secured, you can just screw the chassis to a bit of scrap wood, then screw that onto the side of your cab. Your cables/wires are pretty short, which may limit your options, but should be do-able.