Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Power Options  (Read 866 times)

namedos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2023, 06:18:13 pm
Power Options
« on: February 21, 2020, 01:29:22 pm »
I've got a Mame cabinet that I built over ten years ago.  I'm going to move the PC to a virtual pin but want to keep the cabinet exclusively for about 100 favorite Mame games.  I've got some LED's (trackball, buttons and coin door) that have been powered by molex connectors from my PC.  Since my PC is coming out I'm going to go with a Pi setup for a while.  I don't want to switch out the molex connectors.  Can I put an old PC power supply and get the power that way?  Any problems with the fact that the power supply is not connected to a motherboard?  I saw that another option would be to buy a power converter that has a molex connector coming from it.  Other options?

Thanks!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Power Options
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 02:07:51 pm »
throw old computer power supply in cabinet

plug in all your molexes (moli?)

jump green and black wires on the ATX24 pin connector...this will turn on the supply.

????????

Profit.

namedos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 05:22:11 pm »
Any problem leaving the jumper connected for hours at a time?  Wouldn't think so but any time I did that it was just to check the motherboard.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 07:56:29 pm »
That's how the computer turns itself on. It puts the green wire (PSON) low to power on. The power supply has a purple wire (5VSB) that is powered all the time regardless if the green wire is low or not. This is the power the computer uses while it's off.

namedos

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 08:12:34 pm »
Appreciate the info.  Thanks.