Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Killer Instinct CRT has no green - repair or replace with LCD?  (Read 1109 times)

rydin4life

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2022, 11:04:29 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Killer Instinct CRT has no green - repair or replace with LCD?
« on: February 12, 2020, 03:17:01 pm »
Hi all, my first post here and happy to be here!  I bought a Killer Instinct machine and the monitor has a blue tint to it and when testing the red, green, and blue color screens, I have no green.  I've done my adjustments and gotten it as good as I can, but no green so it needs caps and/or a rejuvenate if it's able to be redone.  I'm considering just going to a 26" LCD.  I've been looking at the Makvision 26" with the mounting kit and bezel from classicgamerooms.com

My questions are....

Would you spend the time/money to repair/rebuild the CRT that's currently in the machine or just switch to the LCD?

If I do go the LCD route, do I need anything other than the Makvision 26", the mounting brackets, and the bezel?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Killer Instinct CRT has no green - repair or replace with LCD?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 04:23:20 pm »
if it's just one color you have 1 of 2 things wrong.

something electronic is wrong... likely just a gun drive transistor, but possibly a video amp gone bad...maybe even a wiring issue or a broken trace on the neck board.

something is wrong with the tube itself.... unlikely, but it's not uncommon to have a gun short out internally and act "dead". sometimes these shorts can be cleared out with a tube rejuvenator... which basically dumps a huge current into the gun to blow the short out like a fuse. but the act can be super hard on the gun and it could last a day...a week... a month... or even forever. it's a crap shoot. kind of a last ditch effort.

i think most likely it's just a failed transistor on the neck board driving the gun has died.