Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: looking for 1:1 control panel template  (Read 1436 times)

DcMaN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2020, 06:08:08 pm
looking for 1:1 control panel template
« on: February 10, 2020, 12:34:26 pm »
Hey guys , does any one have a 1:1 control pane template they can upload for me? My control panel is 36”x18”ish(i don’t have the exact measurements off the top of my head) My requirements are 2 players, 7 buttons for each player plusn1 player start and coin button and a track ball in the middle and probably a few buttons at the top middle of the panel for functions and options of mame. I’m open to all suggestions and everything is greatly appreciated. attached is a setup that i think would work well on my control panel.

thanks

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
Re: looking for 1:1 control panel template
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 03:00:00 pm »
Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by 1:! template?  Your example IS a template, all be it low resolution.  If you're looking for high quality art work and layout in one that's ready to print, you might find some links in the forums with a search, or just look to vendors who can provide services to match your exact needs (ie gameongrafix.com)  Otherwise you need to make it yourself with an art program like photoshop. illustrator. etc and a lot of careful measuring.  slagcoin.com has a ton of basic templates for controller layout that I'd start from.

In terms of a CP design, the aesthetic of your example looks nice, but there's a lot I would consider with the layout.  Even with a non aggressive touch, a trackball of that size wedged in the middle is too close to the P2 joystick for comfort.  You'll end up hitting it frequently depending on the game.  You could consider a mini trackball perhaps?

I'd also think about the controls you want for the front end.  This design is doubling up controls you probably don't need which adds expense and clutter.  For instance,, why have a dedicated page up / page down for a specific front end when you have perfectly good joysticks at hand?  The player is already interacting with the P1 joystick.  Just seems like a lot of extra control buttons that aren't really needed.  Same with the mouse left / right buttons.  What will you use that for?  Ideally you shouldn't need a mouse with a good front end.  If a button is really needed, map P1 btn 1,2,3 for your mouse. 

Now I get that you want the user experience to be clear, so there's a benefit to the grouping of controls in this example, but with some alterations to labeling you can achieve the same with fewer controls.  I would also consider light up buttons with a controller and utility software like ledblinky to automatically light up the buttons used for a particular game (or front end menu).  That helps make it even more clear what to press for the end user.  In my research I haven't found a need for more than a "home / exit" , load & save state (optional if you don't care for it), and pause (again optional).  You can also consider using a function button to get more control out of a small set of buttons (ie volume up / down).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:02:18 pm by vertexguy »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:39:09 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 03:08:38 pm »
I use a tiny 15 dollar wireless keyboard with a track pad built into it for any administrative functions. It is about the size of an xbox controller. It sits on top of the cab until I need it, which is almost never.

Vertexguy is right. Less buttons is better.

DcMaN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2020, 06:08:08 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 08:51:56 pm »
Thank you guys for all the input. By 1:1 template i just mean the layout of buttons, joysticks, and trackball so that i can print it out on one large piece of paper, tape it to the panel i just cut out and then start drilling the holes and such for the buttons, joysticks, and trackball. Basically, i just need a very simple configuration. Looking for 2 players, trackball in the middle and 7 buttons plus the 1&2p start buttons and coin buttons. Something like this would be ideal but im not sure what i have to do to have it printed out and ready to be attached to my blank panel? I wouldn't bother using the spinner that this layout has
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:53:33 pm by DcMaN »

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 03:18:11 pm »
Ok, in the case of the panel template you just showed I would do the following.

1. Open image editing software (ie paint.net is free)
2. Set new canvas / document size to desired physical dimensions and set the dpi to at least 150.
3. Insert that template image into the document.  Rotate and scale up appropriately to fit the document area, maintaining the template images aspect ratio.
4. Save it and take the file to a place that does big prints.  (Kinkos ?)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 09:10:54 am by vertexguy »