Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Where are you guys getting your laminate from?  (Read 2737 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:38:31 pm
Where are you guys getting your laminate from?
« on: January 19, 2020, 02:47:00 pm »
I'm looking for a couple of 2' x 4' sheets of Wilsonart laminate in black.  All I can find at Home Depot is 4' x 8' sheets for $44.00.  I guess that's not too bad but I don't think I need that much (plus I don't think I can fit a full sheet in my car).  Is there some online place that everyone uses?

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Where are you guys getting your laminate from?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 03:09:31 pm »
Do you have a Menards near you?  A buddy of mine was just telling me he was able to order smaller than 4x8 sheets of laminate from them.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 03:22:10 pm »
Do you have a Menards near you?  A buddy of mine was just telling me he was able to order smaller than 4x8 sheets of laminate from them.

Unfortunately not.  Cleveland is the closest one!  I'm outside NYC...  We've got Lowe's and Home Depot and not much else...

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:39:09 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 03:29:02 pm »
https://www.cabinetmakerwarehouse.com/

I don't know how small they go.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 03:30:46 pm »
The places I've bought online have only 4x8 and larger sheets.  As you said $44 is a very good price.  Perhaps Home Depot would cut it down for you? 

I did order a 4x8 sheet from Home Depot once and it came rolled up in a box. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 04:17:10 pm »
https://www.cabinetmakerwarehouse.com/

I don't know how small they go.

Thanks.  I'm bookmarking that link... they only go as small as 4' x 8' for what I'm looking for so I'll probably just order from HD.  Maybe I'll double up on what I'm working on...

The places I've bought online have only 4x8 and larger sheets.  As you said $44 is a very good price.  Perhaps Home Depot would cut it down for you? 

I did order a 4x8 sheet from Home Depot once and it came rolled up in a box.

If it comes rolled, that would be great.  I could fit that in my car and just snap it in quarters when I get home.  Looks like I'll go that route... trying to keep costs down and it's tough.  Even crappy old monitors are hard to come by near me.  Maybe I don't know where to look...

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 04:24:05 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 11:03:23 am »
Another option in case you need it:

https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/wilsonart-countertop-laminate-products-laminate-sheets-W15953354X8-p50511

Thanks buddy.  Better price than Home Depot but shipping kills it ($35!).  With Home Depot you can ship to store for free and pick it up when you want.  I think I'm going to bit the bullet and spend the $44... Seems like I'm the only one around here that can't build something for under $500!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 11:39:58 am »
Good choice!

I bought vertical grade laminate for around the same price. It came rolled up in a tube. It wasn't perfect when I got it, but was fine for me since I was laminating such small sheets. I had to purchase a j-roller and some laminate shears, which cost as much as the laminate. I'm sure you have a flush trim bit for your router, but if not, you'll want that too.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 04:24:05 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 11:43:50 am »
Thanks buddy.  Better price than Home Depot but shipping kills it ($35!).  Seems like I'm the only one around here that can't build something for under $500!

Yeah I know what you mean.  I bought in bulk to bring down the price.  If you can get it at the Depot then that’s the best!  I just couldn’t get the vertical grade that I wanted for whatever reason (probably just the dummies I was talking to).

And no you aren’t the only one who struggles with build costs, I just stopped keeping track on mine, and stopped worrying about it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 01:07:47 pm »
Good choice!

I bought vertical grade laminate for around the same price. It came rolled up in a tube. It wasn't perfect when I got it, but was fine for me since I was laminating such small sheets. I had to purchase a j-roller and some laminate shears, which cost as much as the laminate. I'm sure you have a flush trim bit for your router, but if not, you'll want that too.

yeah I'm all set on the router bit.  I had some of this stuff years ago and I honestly thought I saved like 1/2 a sheet but I can't find it for the life of me and there aren't many places it could be...

And no you aren’t the only one who struggles with build costs, I just stopped keeping track on mine, and stopped worrying about it.

I don't worry about it but my wife does!   ;D

I do spend a lot on tools and materials and and stuff plus, you know... I'm completely out of usable space in my house.  But I like building.  It gives me something to think about and it feels more productive than watching TV or playing Xbox instead.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 01:25:22 pm »

Amen to that!

I don't keep track, but I do have an account I use for my hobby stuff.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 01:58:39 pm »
I wouldn't complain about the cost of laminate too much... we can't even get it without a special order around here, so needless to say I've never used laminate in a project. 

As for the cost I try to do one "big" project a year and not go over the $400 mark.  I'm so slow anymore it takes me most of a year to get it done anyway.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 02:31:56 pm »
FYI, Home Depot will cut sheet goods down for you.  Just grab a sheet, and take it to the back wall behind all the lumber... typically they have a big stand up saw there. cut it down into a more manageable size (or the size you need for your project.) they usually do like 2 cuts for free then charge you a couple bucks each one after. not a big deal.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 09:11:16 am »
My last piece I got online from Home Depot (about a month ago)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wilsonart-4-ft-x-8-ft-Laminate-Sheet-in-Black-with-Standard-Matte-Finish-1595603504896/203592675
They shipped it to the local store and I picked it up...  Much better than the old way of picking through piles of scratched and chipped up pieces.
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:39:09 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 09:24:00 am »
A counter top place might be able to help you out.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 03:26:23 pm »
We have a couple of ReStore's in our area that sell building materials, tools and appliances that are donated.  I've gotten some cheap laminate there but obviously your mileage may vary.

https://gdmhabitat.org/restore/