Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bondo and Re-cutting T-Molding Groove  (Read 2886 times)

ZTylerDurden717

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Bondo and Re-cutting T-Molding Groove
« on: November 06, 2019, 12:54:13 pm »
Hey guys,

Fortunately the implied topic name doesn't mean I have to re-cut my t-molding groove, but I am curious to know the technique you all use if I gotta do this in the future for restoration.

I've seen veterans around here suggesting bondo filler over the t-molding grooves and re-cutting.  Can someone be a little more specific?  Bondo has pretty high viscosity so it's not gonna "flow" into those grooves and seal the gap completely.  I feel like the best you can do is cover the gap in a thin layer of bondo.  Is that layer thick enough to handle the blade cut and rubber mallet hits?  I'd really like to know what you guys do.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:04:09 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:54:30 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Bondo and Re-cutting T-Molding Groove
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 12:25:42 pm »
I'd shoot some urethane construction adhesive like PL premium 3x in there, smooth it and try again.

bondo is a little iffy to me... too hard for my liking... seems likely to chip or pull out on you when you re-do the slot.

urethane is hard, but still flexible and will give a bit... sticks like baby crap to a wool blanket.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:50:31 pm »
Bondo can work well, but you have to 'force' it into the groove. You're right, it won't flow fluidly into it. I just take a spatula or paint spreader and push it down, then re-pour on top. It should be good to go then.

Alternatively, I've had some successes with Wood Filler in the slot and re-cutting. You just gotta pack the filler into the crevices as well as you can, and really make sure it's dried/cured before you re-slot it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:56:15 pm by opt2not »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:54 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 02:55:10 pm »
Wood glue mixed with sawdust.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 02:58:34 pm »
Wood glue mixed with sawdust.

:o

That's right! I remember you mentioning this to me a while ago. I never tried it, but that sounds like a good solution.

I've got some fresh t-molding for my DK Jr cab coming today, and I know that once I pull off the old t-molding it's going to leave the grooves wider for the new t-molding to properly hold down. I'm not a fan of gluing or stapling t-molding down, and would rather it hold like it should normally.

Glue+sawdust then re-cut the slot sounds like a good plan.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 05:30:11 pm »
Excellent, all good suggestions although sawdust+glue does sound like a practical and working solution.

Sprinkling and spreading glue and sawdust probably takes hell of a lot of patience though for two full sized panels.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 08:28:02 am »
and if you want to really go crazy... epoxy and sawdust..  If the slot is really crappy..  Epoxy sets harder than wood glue. 
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/