Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trouble choosing front-end for modern/classic cab.  (Read 1420 times)

Psynaptik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2022, 11:54:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Trouble choosing front-end for modern/classic cab.
« on: November 06, 2019, 04:23:01 pm »
Hi there,

I've got a vertical arcade cab which I currently run on RPi3 with Attract Mode.

I'm building a PC with spare parts post-upgrade to replace it so that I can play my Steam shmups like CAVE Shooters, Jamestown, Danmaku Unlimited etc., but also play my MAME roms (0.170). Of course, I just want something that boots straight into an interface on top of windows (since the Steam versions of CAVE shooters and others need Windows to run - no Linux or Mac here).

Lots of people rate Hyperspin, although I'm reticent of the apparent number of hours needed to get it working nicely.
I've also seen BigBox - although I of course need to pay for that.

I'm wondering if the best way to go - seeing as I want a hybrid cab (i.e. modern vertical games with some older games via emulator) is to just use Steam big picture mode.

So, for my aims, is Hyperspin or Big Box worth investigating over Steam Big Picture? And are there any guides elsewhere that show how to get it booting up ASAP from power on?

Many thanks!