Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Are there any adapters to use analog arcade controls on a PS2 or PS3?  (Read 1966 times)

Zebra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I am interested in using a real arcade Silent Scope rifle on my PS2 (as the Silent Scope games on this platform don't support a light gun). I also want to use some of my other positional arcade guns with my PS3 for House of the Dead 4 (as I don't like my PS Move) but my Apac doesn't work on either system. It just freezes everything until you reset the console and remove the Apac.

So, before I start hacking up my PS2 controllers, does anyone know of an adapter that allows PC analog controllers (which the Apac acts as) to work on a PS2 or PS3? There are seemingly millions of adapters to do the opposite and adapters to use every other type of controller on every other console but I can't find any to use PC analog controls on a PS2 or 3. When I try searching I just get endless lists of PS3 to PC adapters or USB fight stick encoders for digital controls.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Re: Are there any adapters to use analog arcade controls on a PS2 or PS3?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 04:15:36 pm »
I doubt very much that anything like that exists. A pad hack is probably your best bet. That being said what your trying to do may simply not be possible depending on how the console versions of the games you are trying to play work with a controller.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:08:37 pm »
Well those 8bitdo wireless adapters support xbox 360 pads I think, and there are many Arduino sketches that fake a 360 gamepad... so maybe that way somehow??

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 10:05:30 am »
Well those 8bitdo wireless adapters support xbox 360 pads I think, and there are many Arduino sketches that fake a 360 gamepad... so maybe that way somehow??

Is the Ultimarc Apac the same as a 360 pad in terms of how computers and consoles see them? If it is, them maybe I can find a 360 to PS3 adapter.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 10:16:54 am »
I doubt very much that anything like that exists. A pad hack is probably your best bet. That being said what your trying to do may simply not be possible depending on how the console versions of the games you are trying to play work with a controller.

Both the PS2 version of Silent Scope and HOD4 on the PS3 work with analog controls and all analog controllers use a pair of pots for each stick, same as positional arcade guns. If I have a way of connecting the pots, it will work.

The only part I am not sure about is if I will be able to satisfactorily calibrate them. On a Windows PC there is a calibration option so you can make sure the gun aim roughly matches the on-screen crosshairs. I am not sure any such options exist on these consoles.

I think the scope will be easy to hook up as the scope view on screen moves moves around with the crosshairs so pointing a camera at it will be easy if I can calibrate the gun. But, that's academic until I have a way of connecting the pots.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 12:37:09 pm »

The only part I am not sure about is if I will be able to satisfactorily calibrate them. On a Windows PC there is a calibration option so you can make sure the gun aim roughly matches the on-screen crosshairs. I am not sure any such options exist on these consoles.

Well that's what I mean, It's be worth it to boot up the games and see if such an option exist, but if those options aren't there, you will probably wind up with a gun that moves, but isn't accurate enough to use...

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 01:34:25 pm »
There is a more analog solution to the issue if the games lack calibration options. I.e. I can change the gear size until I get a range of movement that keeps the gun aim inside the screen all the way to the edge. It would be a pain in the ass but It can be done.

The potential problem I don't know how to solve is if the analog stick commands are interpreted as changes in speed instead of crosshair position. If I turn half way to the left, I need the crosshairs to move half way across the screen, not travel all the way to the edge at half speed.