Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: You need a Steam Client in order to run this game?  (Read 4206 times)

Dainja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2022, 07:29:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
You need a Steam Client in order to run this game?
« on: October 04, 2019, 04:13:09 am »
:banghead:
Most of my Steam games works in Hyperspin. Fight N Rage used to work great until a day ago when I made an instant sheller install to boot the PC into Hyperspin. Now I cant get Fight N Rage to start. Not even via RL. I either get the message: You need a Steam Client in order to start this game, or if I insert the Steam ID for the game in the Rocket Launcher I get the message: You are trying to launch Steam and an application. You must chose one or the other?

Who canmake my day and help me out?

Dainja

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2022, 07:29:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: You need a Steam Client in order to run this game?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 07:49:06 am »
I finally found a way that worked for me. Might aswell post it here:

I still cannot get rocketlauncher to launch Steam games via SteamID BUT after hours and hours of tinkering I figured out an alternate way to launch steam games and pretty much anything else, lnk, urls, etc (files that rocketlauncher wouldnt typically let you set as executable.)
I'm not good with coding of any kind (if you can even call this that) so this was a big deal to me haha. Heres how I did it:
Right click on Steam game desktop shortcut
Select and copy the game id within url i.e. steam://rungameid/228400
Create a new text document
Enter the following within the txt document: "start steam://rungameid/228400" (Change the ID # to match yours)
Save the document and close it
Change the file extension to '.bat' and save
Configure your pc games like you normally do except instead of entering a steamID or the traditional executable, select the .bat file we just created. You will also need to set FadeTitle in the traditional way.

Using this method I can launch all steam games because it is initiated in a traditional (mostly) manor. Steam trys to work against you launching games outsite of its self, so by using this bat we are effectively just clicking a desktop link without the clutter.

JRobATL

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2022, 10:20:34 am
  • Completed - Tron Legacy
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162637.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 10:05:04 pm »
Genius!

I've been pulling my hair out trying to run Steam games. Your method was super easy, and it worked.

Thanks for posting it.  :cheers:

JRobATL

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2022, 10:20:34 am
  • Completed - Tron Legacy
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162637.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 10:43:08 pm »
Also, my son just showed me another way... the game executable files are actually stored locally...

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ (and then the game folder)