Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Pang Jamma pcb no keyway  (Read 3295 times)

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:59:12 am
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
Super Pang Jamma pcb no keyway
« on: May 31, 2019, 07:29:29 am »
Hi Guys,

My Super Pang bootleg pcb just arrived, it was advertised as jamma and working 100% so was hoping to just throw it in my machine and it would work, but there is now keyway in position 7, is this normal? I don't have any spare edge connectors, is it ok to just make a keyway in position 7 with a file?

Also I've only ever had the one pcb, should the new pcb just work or will I have to mess with the monitor pots for horizontal hold etc.

Thanks,
Chris.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Super Pang Jamma pcb no keyway
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 08:25:39 am »
Looks the same as my super pang booty and can confirm it works plugging it into a normal JAMMA connector.

Mine does not have a key installed though but I would not want to go taking a file to it personally.

Maybe just take your key out?
Or use a adapter with no key if you dont want to do that.

Just make sure you plug it in the right way around!

If you figure out what dips do what though let me know because I have no idea lol

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 02:37:06 pm »
I don't have any spare edge connectors, is it ok to just make a keyway in position 7 with a file?
You should be able to.  7 is N/C
http://therealbobroberts.net/newjam.html

Just verify that position 7 is indeed N/C on the board, and that this boot is indeed JAMMA.

Also I've only ever had the one pcb, should the new pcb just work or will I have to mess with the monitor pots for horizontal hold etc.
Every PCB you connect to a cabinet requires adjustments in both visual and audio. 

The top left section of your picture is the Audio circuit, and that orange dial is the pre-amped volume pot.  I usually set the board's volume to about half way, then adjust it from there in my cabinet while it's running.
For Video, you'll always have to adjust the horizontal/vertical positioning and scaling. Not all games output the same video resolutions or sync signals, so there is always going to be some tuning when you "convert" your cab.

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 07:31:03 am »

Just verify that position 7 is indeed N/C on the board, and that this boot is indeed JAMMA.

Every PCB you connect to a cabinet requires adjustments in both visual and audio. 

The top left section of your picture is the Audio circuit, and that orange dial is the pre-amped volume pot.  I usually set the board's volume to about half way, then adjust it from there in my cabinet while it's running.
For Video, you'll always have to adjust the horizontal/vertical positioning and scaling. Not all games output the same video resolutions or sync signals, so there is always going to be some tuning when you "convert" your cab.

Thanks, I couldn't wait to get a new edge connector without a key so I went ahead and filed the pcb carefully with some needle files, I'm quite happy with the result, funny you should mention the sound as when I plugged the board in there was a loud noise, I guess the previous owner liked loud sound, but there was no sound/music, at first I thought the board was not working properly, then I adjusted the sound pot and the noise went higher/lower but still no sound, but I later realised the attract mode sound is set to off, I adjusted the screen size as best I could (but my monitor has a horizontal amplitude fault) and inserted a coin, to be met with a muffled sound "Super Pang" I still thought the sound was broken as it sounded muffled, but then the game music brought music to my ears pun intended :-) I guess the "Super pang" sample is supposed to be muffled/bass-ey.

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 07:39:01 am »
Looks the same as my super pang booty and can confirm it works plugging it into a normal JAMMA connector.

Mine does not have a key installed though but I would not want to go taking a file to it personally.

If you figure out what dips do what though let me know because I have no idea lol

Have you tried the dip setting for Monster World a Super Pang bootleg? just a thought I haven't them all yet, I did try to get the attract/demo mode sound to work using those dips, but had no luck, although they appear to be similar to the super pang pdf instructions.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 07:43:49 am »

Have you tried the dip setting for Monster World a Super Pang bootleg? just a thought I haven't them all yet, I did try to get the attract/demo mode sound to work using those dips, but had no luck, although they appear to be similar to the super pang pdf instructions.

Cant say I had found that, All the dip setting sheets I found for pang bootlegs were only 6 dips so I will give that a try next time I fire it up.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:54 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 08:12:22 am »
As far as the sound issue goes, see if the board needs the -5V connected. My Super High Impact was missing the speech and the sound overall was bad. It turns out the guy who owned the JAMMA cab before me disconnected the -5V lead from the power supply. Everything sounded great once I reconnected it. I verified that the PCB actually needed that connection by checking the schematics.

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 08:13:33 am »
If Anyone knows how to get the Attract/Demo Sounds on or confirm what the other dips do or even if the test mode can be entered somehow I'd be most grateful :-)

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 08:18:48 am »
As far as the sound issue goes, see if the board needs the -5V connected. My Super High Impact was missing the speech and the sound overall was bad. It turns out the guy who owned the JAMMA cab before me disconnected the -5V lead from the power supply. Everything sounded great once I reconnected it. I verified that the PCB actually needed that connection by checking the schematics.

Ah! I think my cabinet still has the -5v wired into the harness, will check though, the original Super Pang doesn't use -5, mine is a bootleg though, can't see why they would add -5v to a booty but possible, ill check that also :-)

Thanks.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 08:26:10 am »
If I recall the "super pang" noise on mine is a bit muffled to.
Maybe its just a problem with the bootleg of it?

I know the original has a test menu button on the PCB itself but the only setting access on the boot is via the dips.

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 05:57:32 pm »
Cant say I had found that, All the dip setting sheets I found for pang bootlegs were only 6 dips so I will give that a try next time I fire it up.

Yeah! I tried those monster world dips earlier they are correct, but they are the wrong way around,

DIP      1   Sounds in demo mode    dip off=sound on  dip on= sound off (weird)
DIPS 2/3   Difficulty  on-on= easy on-off=hard  off-off=hardest  off-on=normal
DIPS 4/5   Lives   on-on 1 life off-on= 2 lives on-off 3=lives off-off 4 lives
DIPS 6/8   Coinage similar to monser world

I haven't checked the coinage exactly, but for normal difficulty mode, 4 credits per coin and 4 lives per credit and sound during demo mode try these dip settings;
off, off,on, off,off, on,off,off

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 07:23:12 pm »

Yeah! I tried those monster world dips earlier they are correct, but they are the wrong way around,

DIP      1   Sounds in demo mode    dip off=sound on  dip on= sound off (weird)
DIPS 2/3   Difficulty  on-on= easy on-off=hard  off-off=hardest  off-on=normal
DIPS 4/5   Lives   on-on 1 life off-on= 2 lives on-off 3=lives off-off 4 lives
DIPS 6/8   Coinage similar to monser world

I haven't checked the coinage exactly, but for normal difficulty mode, 4 credits per coin and 4 lives per credit and sound during demo mode try these dip settings;
off, off,on, off,off, on,off,off

Thanks for that info! I am getting my gun out tomorrow to test some new boards I have picked up so I will give these a try at the same time :)

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 06:07:25 pm »
Thanks for that info! I am getting my gun out tomorrow to test some new boards I have picked up so I will give these a try at the same time :)

I think these are correct now, not to sure about the difficulty settings though as I can't see any difference between easy hard etc :-)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 01:11:11 am »

I think these are correct now, not to sure about the difficulty settings though as I can't see any difference between easy hard etc :-)

Good stuff :)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 04:47:53 pm »
FWIW ... you can usually remove the key from an edge connector simply by pulling it out with a pair of needle nose pliers...

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 05:56:22 pm »
FWIW ... you can usually remove the key from an edge connector simply by pulling it out with a pair of needle nose pliers...

Yeah! Thanks but no such luck with my jamma plug it's just a big blub of solder, for the keyway :-( not to worry though, the way my brain is going it's best I keep the key so I don't plug it in upside down lol.