Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: About to jump into the pool  (Read 9033 times)

donluca

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:15:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: About to jump into the pool
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2019, 05:29:57 pm »
I was in the process of updating my cabinet to the latest GroovyMAME 0.210 over the weekend with intentions of doing some benchmarking and testing with frame_delay on my hardware and then... my trusty old Hantarex Polo 25 arcade monitor died.   :(

Hopefully, I'll be able to get it working again.

That really, really sucks. Hantarex Polos are fantastic monitors and very underrated.

What happened, if I may ask? I've fixed some CRTs here and there and got a little bit of knowledge about them.
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2019, 05:46:11 pm »
That really, really sucks. Hantarex Polos are fantastic monitors and very underrated.
What happened, if I may ask? I've fixed some CRTs here and there and got a little bit of knowledge about them.

I had it on for a few hours on Sunday.  I went to get some dinner and when I came back the screen was black.  There's no neck "glow" and it's making a faint "ticking" sound.  I started a thread over in the Monitor/Video Forum and someone posted a flowchart that gives me some things to check when I get some time.  I suspect that the  Horizontal Output Transistor (or one or more of the diodes) have failed...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160514.0.html
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

haynor666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 08:01:11 am »
DirectX installer is not needed on windows 7. I have now fresh and clean install and groovymame works perfectly. But it might be needed for nullDC and some other 3D emulators. Some Taito Type X games might needed as well.

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2019, 07:00:32 am »
Flyback and cap kit installed.
Computer assembled and running Win10 and groovymame.

Next up is trying to find a front end for a vertical low res crt, followed by graphics drivers.  Oh yeah, I should probably rotate the monitor while I'm at it.

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2019, 12:55:48 am »
Today I got the PC video displaying on the arcade monitor.  Looks like Emudriver and Switchres are working.
 Attract Mode with Opacity layout (thanks Frizz!) and GroovyMAME are displaying vertically.

I've got some tuning to do, the monitor will either focus in the middle or the edges, not both.  A little reading points to purity adjustment, tube rejuvenation or even a bad tube. The one time I did a PC restart with the monitor on, it seemed to go into shutdown just as the desktop was coming up.  I haven't done the card bios yet but I thought the J-Pac was supposed to prevent that.

I'm sure there are several settings I need to tweak in VMMaker and GroovyMAME as well to get the most out of it.  I still haven't turned the monitor vertical yet and I don't have any controls hooked up or even a proper panel.

As long as I make a little progress each week, I'll be happy.