Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SABRECADE LIVES ON!  (Read 9795 times)

morton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: SABRECADE LIVES ON!
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2019, 07:08:23 am »
Hello friends - I'm back and am going to give the Sabrecade a bit of an overhaul.  It's still running the same PC (Windows XP) and same WG monitor and both are getting long in the tooth.  I'm trying to decide if I should go LCD as the convergence on my CRT is getting really bad and it's a low-res monitor to begin with.  Not sure; lots of pros and cons. I'm going to spend some time catching up on all the new machines being built and see what ideas come out of it.

As a Leaf fan, I say "Go LCD" so i can sit back and watch the show... but as a gamer, go CRT. Id like to think your decisions are solely based on geography, not choice. Regardless of motivation, I feel like with you being a Sabres fan, you dont need to alienate anyone else.  :laugh2:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:39:09 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2019, 07:42:58 am »
Friends don't let friends go LCD.

Your cab has nice classic lines. Fix the CRT or get another one. If you do that I can forgive you for being a Sabres fan. ;)

bluevolume

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2019, 12:14:32 pm
  • I wish I'd bought more pins...
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2019, 11:43:08 pm »
I'm struggling with the monitor decision too, but it seems like it's going to complicate everything else I need to do.  Here's my concerns:
1. The custom video card I bought last time around to run it won't fit in a newer PC. I'd have to buy another custom card.
2. The monitor (WG k7??) is low resolution and aside from that making Windows a PITA I think it's also downsampling the actual games.
3. I already replaced the caps and flyback, so the display problems I'm having seem more difficult to fix.
4. Convergence, especially Blue in the lower left, is way off. I've tried adjusting the rings but honestly this is beyond my skillset.

Like I said, I'm still trying to find out what I should do. I'm definitely partial to a CRT since the games look better but I also don't have a ton of time to screw around with it.

And finally, GO SABRES!
SABRECADE LIVES ON