Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Q about Raspberry Pi and Ultimate I/O board power  (Read 3525 times)

dupreesdiamond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2022, 09:12:47 pm
Q about Raspberry Pi and Ultimate I/O board power
« on: May 31, 2019, 11:22:58 am »
Doing research/planning for my first cabinet build. 

While I am very new to "Raspberry Pi"/circuit boards etc in general my plan is to go with a Raspberry Pi system with ultimarc controls.  Specifically their Gold Leaf RBG LED buttons and two U360 sticks.  To control the LEDs I'm looking at the "I-PAC ULTIMATE I/O" board to handle the button interface and run the LEDs.    And I have two up front questions:

1) Power - Can I power the IPac board and the attached LEDS (there should be 16-20 LED buttons on my control panel) via the 5v output of the Pi?  It comes with a molex power cable which would be great if I was using a PC...  (I assume powering off the the Pi (Halt) would also, if this config works, power off this peripheral board.

2) If not can I just use a 5v wall wart? and what would be my options for having it power down when the Pi is shutdown/Halt?

And a bonus question while i'm here.  If I am using the Ultimarc u360 joysticks I understand I can just run up to 8 buttons through the controller itself and connect it all to the Pi via USB without need of the control board.  So could I save some coin and just get the PacLED64  board instead?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:49:35 am by dupreesdiamond »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:03:25 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Raspberry Pi and Ultimate I/O board power
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 12:15:21 pm »
1) Power - Can I power the IPac board and the attached LEDS (there should be 16-20 LED buttons on my control panel) via the 5v output of the Pi?
Short answer:  No way.

Longer answer:  16-20 buttons * 3 LED channels (R, G, and B) per button * 20 mA per channel = 960mA-1.2A for just the LEDs.

Consider either 1) using an additional power supply to power the LEDs or 2) upgrading to a PC like you mentioned, giving you more than enough electrical power for the bling and far more computing power to run newer/better emulation.

Either way, you can use a switchable/fused IEC power inlet to supply power to an AC power strip inside your cab.

Scott

dupreesdiamond

• Offline Offline
Re: Q about Raspberry Pi and Ultimate I/O board power
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 12:25:29 pm »
Thanks! Figured the answer to one would be "no". 

I expect to use a switched power port.  But was hoping to have a one button press/switch to shut down the pi and cut power to the peripherals.

dupreesdiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 04:01:19 pm »
Ah. Looks like this is what I want.   If I understand it correctly I can connect this up to the PI and use that to control the power to the other outlets. 

http://www.digital-loggers.com/iotfaqs.html

dupreesdiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 12:34:55 pm »
I've done more reading.   And I think this is the direction I'll go.  https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Controlled-ATX-Power-Supply/   especially as I have a spare PSU sitting around.

Seems quite elegant and really opens up the power options for other items. Allowing me single button power.

Monitor is controlled by HDMI connection so when the HDMI port turns off it will shut-off as well.
Will wire in a Power button to the Pi (along these lines: https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3zmm/how-to-add-a-power-button-to-your-raspberry-pi

The shutdown script will issue a command to kill the PSU's power and add code to the start-up script to renable the PSU and power up all the peripherals. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 12:46:45 pm by dupreesdiamond »