Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PC specs for Gfore series  (Read 2036 times)

rawbe

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 09:58:11 pm
PC specs for Gfore series
« on: March 25, 2019, 05:05:51 pm »
Hello-

What pc specs would I need to play Golden Tee Fore series with Medium res at 100%? I have an Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz and no dice. I have also tried a smoking fast i5 with the same result; audio stuttering and slow frame rate.

I have change audio to low resolution and tried triple buffer on and off. No help.

I want to run Medium res.....it possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawbe

• Offline Offline
Re: PC specs for Gfore series
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 05:11:38 pm »
Sorry I forgot to state I have tried Mame 0.162 and 0.196.

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:07:47 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 09:47:51 am »
Everything I'm reading seems to indicate people only play it on standard resolution, not medium.

Those are some pretty good specs you've got listed. Assuming you have a decent amount of RAM and a GPU that isn't terrible, I doubt it's a hardware issue. This thread might be useful but it seems like you've already tried older MAME versions: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=155773.0

Sorry, not much help I know.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:16:09 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 05:50:23 pm »
My machine has a faster Intel processor and I don't even bother with medium resolution. Even on low res, I get an occasional audio hiccup. Besides the resolution set to low, I recommend turning off bilinear filtering and set frame skipping to auto.

rawbe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 09:54:48 am »
Thanks guys for the responses. I am baffled a game with little movement would bog a pc so much.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:07:47 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 12:30:14 pm »
I'm not that surprised. It's less the game itself and more the emulation. Didn't the game originally run on a decent pc of the late-2000's? A computer having to emulate an entire different computer, and then play the game on top, seems pretty taxing to me. At least, harder than just emulating a dedicated game pcb.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 06:50:47 pm »
Not a true 'PC' since it's not x86 based (if it was x86 based it would be a LOT more demanding to emulate which is why the later IT stuff really isn't going to be run at playable speeds if somebody does tackle it)

but otherwise yeah, very PC-like architecture, including PC video cards, and PC chipsets for a number of things.

one thing MAME doesn't do is emulate the limits of the original Voodoo properly, which tends to result in the emulated Voodoo being able to draw a lot more in a frame than the real one.  scenes which cause bad framedrops in MAME are often ones with many, many overlayed transparencies, often full screen.  chances are the real card would instead take several frames to draw that, or abandon, causing a lower framerate, or missing graphics on the original hardware at that point, but in MAME, since the limits aren't properly emulated, it slows MAME down instead of the game.

but in general once you get to this kind of system with recompilers etc. there are always going to be points that stutter, especially games that are dynamically loading a lot of content, invalidating caches etc.