Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cruisin USA H shifter and Mame  (Read 2850 times)

DTAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2022, 02:12:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Cruisin USA H shifter and Mame
« on: June 25, 2019, 07:38:36 pm »
I've looked around it I still haven't found a way to make the H shifter work in Mame. Anyone have the solution?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Cruisin USA H shifter and Mame
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 01:01:57 am »
How is the shifter normally wired in, how are you connecting it to the PC. IF the PC will show the input somehow, there should be a way to get that into MAME.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:40:31 am
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 05:52:18 am »
How is your shifter wired?

DTAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2022, 02:12:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 02:58:20 pm »
Sorry, the shifter is wired into an a- pac. The problem is that Mame only recognizes the the pressed button is depressed. The shifter holds the button closed in each gear.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 10:38:50 pm »
Hmmm, there were versions of Racermame to combat the fact a lot of older games with the hi-lo shift had the same single switch closed for lo, open for hi or vice versa. I think that's been put into mainline mame now. I certainly know that playing chase hq with my sequential, i hit the same direction (up) to change gears between high and lo each time. If i'm in hi, i push up and i get lo, and if lo i push up and get hi. There's no onscreen indication either.

You might try something like joytokey, that will see the apac, and probably allow you to set keypresses and duration. Or if not, autohotkey will let you set duration with the command "setkeydelay, 0, 50" where 0ms is time index when the press is triggered, and 50ms is when it's released.

Then we need to think of a way to get the keypresses to activate in a meaningful way using something like autohotkey.

I think the problem is with game tho, and the fact you can only set the one gear change command. Because even if you use joytokey to set the same keypress to more than one position, you can still wrongfoot yourself so up is down by just leaving the shifter in the wrong position when the game boots, etc.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:40:31 am
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 12:31:25 am »
Mame asks for a key press and release to assign the key. You could disconnect the shifter, assign the keys with your keyboard and then reconnect.
If you don't know which key is assigned to which shift position, open notepad and move your shifter to all the positions.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:33:12 am by baritonomarchetto »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:37:41 pm
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 06:23:12 pm »
It's been a long time (circa MAME v.134) but I've played Cruisin' USA with an Act Labs, Logitech G27, and hacked Sega/Ketz....never had a problem.
I suppose something could have changed in MAME.

Again, what shifter are you using?  Does it have 3 or 4 switches?

The Sega ones only used 3 switches.  Here is some info on those:http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,106709.msg1130503.html#msg1130503
I thought the Happ one had 4 switches, so it should work fine with the exception of not going into neutral since MAME latches the gears.

Exactly what is the problem you are having?  Is it just the lack of neutral that bothers you?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:08:18 pm by BadMouth »

esoteric_rt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 07:47:03 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 12:32:15 am »
I manged to get this working easily with our Daytona Twin, which pretty much has the same shifter design? (4 microswitches). I was using the M2 Emulator also.

But anyways,

Hold the shifter joystick in the middle of the plate, so it isn't engaging a microswitch. Get MAME ready to accept the key press for that particular gear. Then move the shifter into that gear, hence engaging the micro switch. Repeat for the other 3 gears

Give that a try