Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Using the hobby in the outside world  (Read 1815 times)

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:30:40 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Using the hobby in the outside world
« on: February 26, 2018, 07:47:01 am »
I have a friend who was diagnosed with melanoma 3 years ago. She was 33 years old at the time. We thought she fought it to a standstill, but now it has spread to her brain. She is a wonderful and generous human being. Her husband and kids are awesome too. Things are desperate and the outcome looks bleak.

She can't concentrate to read novels anymore. The cancer robbed her of that. Someone suggested she try to learn to paint. It has comforted her a lot.

The problem is that she needed stuff to paint. So I started making these for her. I cook dinner for her family every Wednesday. We sit and talk about what she is currently painting.

She gets comfort from the act of painting. I get cool stuff to hang in my arcade room.

I would like to hear stories from other members. This might be a good thread to talk about some positivity.

Pac Man and the Pooka are small. About 10" x 10"

Pengo is a little bigger at about 18" tall

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Using the hobby in the outside world
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:25:14 am »
Sorry to read about your friend.
I think its amazing that you are helping her and her family.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 08:52:25 am »
They are the best kind of people. I needed to pickup a Monaco GP cockpit an hour and a half drive away. Uhaul lost my trailer reservation. I was at her house on the phone with Uhaul. Her husband grabbed a trailer from work AND drove me to the pickup location. He helped me load up and tyhen unload at my house. This was on a moments notice without me asking.
I met them just after my wife died suddenly in January of 2015. They have been a source of strength and comfort even with the enormous hardship they are facing every day. Any time I start to feel sorry for myself they are there to either pick me up or kick me in the ass. Whichever I need at the time. The least I can do is return the favor.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 08:59:37 am
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:03:45 pm »
This is an amazing heart warming story man, so glad to see the arcade hobby and human kindness cross over. I wish nothing but the best for you and your friend. Sorry to hear about your wife also. I lost my mother very suddenly when I was 27. That kind of thing can be so devastating. But it does make you stronger over time for having over come such a tragedy. What a better world it would be if we were all just a little more kind to each other.

Are you carving those by hand? They look amazing and her painting job is amazing too!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 12:54:19 pm »
I am not that skilled! I have a small CNC machine. I scratch built my first CNC machine. I got a side job carving signs for a local liquor distributor. I used that money to buy a machine. Mine did the job, but it was too slow for production. The one I bought is much faster, but it has a smaller work envelope.

I was hoping to get other people's stories. I don't want this to be about me. I figured my story would be a jumping off point.

Thank you for the kind words. I am sorry about your mom. My kids lost their mom at 13 years old for my son and 17 for my daughter. They have thrived in adversity and I could not be prouder of them.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2024, 08:59:37 am
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 01:38:58 pm »
Yeah through these tragedy's we learn how strong we can be.

Still really cool man, I always wanted to get into the cnc thing but never had the money. Really cool stuff.

UEDan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 05:24:34 pm »
No stories from me but Pac man looks awesome!
You guys think about doing small batches to sell here?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 07:21:28 pm »
No. This isn't a business venture. If someone really wants one let me know. I can carve it up, but you will have to paint it yourself. I will charge for materials and shipping. If a bunch of people want them I will tack on a little bit for my time.