Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Turbo Twist 2 wiring?  (Read 2847 times)

mimic

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
Turbo Twist 2 wiring?
« on: February 03, 2018, 09:00:08 pm »
Anyone has a photo of wiring of 2 TT's together in master/slave configuration? I disconnected the wires awhile ago and forgot to put it together and now can't get it to work.
I have one board with 2x Ground and 5v pins and 6 pins ABCDEF. And 4 wires in 2 connectors one of which has red and black wires in one connector. TIA!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:14:06 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Turbo Twist 2 wiring?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 02:06:40 am »
Anyone has a photo of wiring of 2 TT's together in master/slave configuration? I disconnected the wires awhile ago and forgot to put it together and now can't get it to work.
I have one board with 2x Ground and 5v pins and 6 pins ABCDEF. And 4 wires in 2 connectors one of which has red and black wires in one connector. TIA!
X-axis lines on A and B. (Master)

Y-axis lines on C and D. (Slave)

Red wires to 5v.

Black wires to ground.

If an axis is backward, swap the lines for that axis. :cheers:

Scott

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 07:35:44 pm »
Thank you for the response
I wired it and .... It almost works. I can see mouse cursor wobbles when I move the spinner, but it does not move freely like the other one. Pretty much it looks like it's trying to move up and down at the same time when I spin it. Any idea what could be causing it?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:40:48 pm by mimic »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 08:13:16 pm »
I can see mouse cursor wobbles when I move the spinner, but it does not move freely like the other one. Pretty much it looks like it's trying to move up and down at the same time when I spin it.
Moving back-and forth one step usually means that one of the optos or the input is either stuck high or low.

Swap the X-axis (A and B) and Y-axis (C and D) wires to see if the problem is the spinner or the encoder.

Problem moves to the other axis:
The problem is either the spinner optos (not replaceable on the TT2) or a damaged wire or a poor connection with the encoder.

Problem stays on the same axis:
One of the data line inputs is either stuck high or low or isn't making good contact with the data pin on the encoder.

Either use the Z-axis (you might encounter the Windows scroll wheel 4x problem) or order another Opti-Wiz encoder.

Scott

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 11:10:00 pm »
Moving back-and forth one step usually means that one of the optos or the input is either stuck high or low.

Swap the X-axis (A and B) and Y-axis (C and D) wires to see if the problem is the spinner or the encoder.

Problem moves to the other axis:
The problem is either the spinner optos (not replaceable on the TT2) or a damaged wire or a poor connection with the encoder.

Problem stays on the same axis:
One of the data line inputs is either stuck high or low or isn't making good contact with the data pin on the encoder.

Either use the Z-axis (you might encounter the Windows scroll wheel 4x problem) or order another Opti-Wiz encoder.

When I move the wire to the other pins same behavior continues. However since I have 2 spinners if I swap them out, they both work on the wire that is hard wired to the board. Only problem is with the wires that are connected to the pins. Everything was working prior to being disconnected though. So could it be the wire somewhere? Or could it be encoder itself?
Thanks agains for your time.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 04:08:47 am »
since I have 2 spinners if I swap them out, they both work on the wire that is hard wired to the board.
That confirms both spinners are good.   ;D

Connect the first spinner (master) to the hard-wired ribbon cable.
- That ribbon cable connects to the same encoder inputs as pins A and B. (X-axis)
- You can't have two spinners connected to the same pair of inputs, so if there is a spinner on the hard-wired ribbon cable, you can't have another spinner connected to pins A and B.

The second spinner (slave) cable has 4 wires:
- Red wire connects to 5v.
- Black wire connects to ground.
- The other two wires (data lines) connect to pins C and D. (Y-axis)

If that doesn't work, use your multimeter and check each data line to see if it can go both logic high (near 5v) and low. (near 0v)

You barely have to turn the spinner to change between high and low -- 1 full turn of the knob = 1200 phase steps with the TT2.

This quadrature waveform shows what you would see on the data lines (A and B) when you slowly turn the axis clockwise.

Scott

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:34:25 pm »
Just to wrap this up, it was the spinner after all. Had to send it to GGG for a repair  :-[