Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help - where to connect P1 and P2 leds  (Read 929 times)

MovingTarget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 10:22:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help - where to connect P1 and P2 leds
« on: February 02, 2020, 01:45:59 pm »
Hey there all, I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.

So I built my cabinet back in 2006, I used an IPAC with PS interface (not usb).  I have 2 atari volcano buttons and I wired them to the 5v on the IPAC and when I played a game like Centipede, the volcano button's led would blink to say click me to start a 1 or 2 player game.

I think MAME was upgraded somewhere along the way to remove this feature and put it into a new app.

Well I'm changing my setup to use a Raspberry Pi and I just put in a new IPAC2 with USB.  I'm not seeing the 5v pins anymore.  What do I need to get this to work?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:01:29 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Help - where to connect P1 and P2 leds
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 03:04:31 pm »
Hey there all, I'm going nuts trying to figure this out.

So I built my cabinet back in 2006, I used an IPAC with PS interface (not usb).  I have 2 atari volcano buttons and I wired them to the 5v on the IPAC and when I played a game like Centipede, the volcano button's led would blink to say click me to start a 1 or 2 player game.

I think MAME was upgraded somewhere along the way to remove this feature and put it into a new app.

Well I'm changing my setup to use a Raspberry Pi and I just put in a new IPAC2 with USB.  I'm not seeing the 5v pins anymore.  What do I need to get this to work?
From your other thread:
I have some volcano buttons and I want to have the LEDs light up for player 1 and player 2.
Which of these describes what you want to do?

1. LEDs always on.

2. LEDs on when pressed.

3. LEDs flash when a coin is inserted, like the original Atari games did. (3:40 in this video)

If you want always on, take 5v from the spinner/trackball pins on your 2015 or newer IPac.

If you want flashing, you'll need either a pre-2015 IPac (still has the LED pins) or an LED controller board + LEDBlinky.

There's a firmware for 32u2 AVR boards if you want to roll-your-own.
- You might be able to recompile the firmware to run on a 32u4 board like the Arduino Pro Micro.   :dunno
- There is a 32u4 firmware available -- "LWCloneU2__rev190.zip" in reply #11 of the thread below.
-- Looked at the schematic and it should work on a Pro Micro for your application.   ;D
-- Ports D5 and D6 aren't available on the Pro Micro, but you only need ports D0 and D1 for the two volcano LEDs.
-- The Arduino should be able to drive the LEDs directly since they only draw about 20mA each. (no transistors)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,132903.0.html

Scott
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:34:32 pm by PL1 »