Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Virtual Pin  (Read 9361 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Virtual Pin
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2017, 01:08:53 pm »
Again, sorry but nope. 

Downloaded the all in one installer from the vp forums along with the table I wanted to play..... table didn't work.  Downloaded the latest version of VPX.... table didn't work.   Tracked down and downloaded the specific beta version of vpx mentioned on the download page.... table worked. 

Please don't call me a liar, even if it's in a round-about way.  I have absolutely no reason to lie on this. 

Also actually read what I posted..... any version of vpx table working with vpx is the bare minimum of backwards compatability... if it ever wasn't that way then vpx was a shoddy piece of crap.  I said that ALL tables from ALL versions should be compatible with vpx, as it's the latest version.  As in vp9 tables, vp8 tables, ect...  I know that visual pinball made the jump from 2d to 3d when it went open-source, but there was no reason to throw out all the old code that would have allowed older tables to work.  Either that, or don't call it visual pinball anymore... rename it to something else.

Loafmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2017, 02:21:48 pm »
I wouldn't call you a liar Howard, the world isn't so black and white that people can believe in their opinion but maybe be misguided or wrong (and I mean this vice versa so don't go there!).

So what table are you trying to run?

As for any version thing, I guess it's how we look at it.  To go back to the Nintendo analogy, a NES and a SNES aren't compatible with each other.  With VPX, they gave it its own file extension in part to help support this understanding that it's a standalone product, detached from previous versions.  I appreciate your point though, maybe it would have been better if they'd called it "Virtual Pinball" instead of "Visual Pinball" but if you read up on the various VP forums, there's not too many people that get this confused.  VPX is it's own thing, done we've moved on.  I do agree though, I wish they had just incorporated full backwards compatibility, it would be a better solution if it did and NO ONE is stating otherwise, we're just saying understanding this, most of us seem to be able to get things going.  I think they didn't simply because the project scope didn't allow it and some of the differences between the branches, especially between VP9, physmod and VPX just couldn't support it easily.  Maybe it's a bad decision but when you do this for free and only a couple of devs, you do what you can.  Decisions has worked well for us anyway and every week, we see more and more people getting into the pincab thing, so at least some are happy.

If people care enough, I could point the devs to this post and see if they want to respond but then again, their ware is being described as a possible shoddy piece of crap so maybe it's best I don't LOL

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2017, 09:59:45 pm »
Well I bought the Black Rose... And so far my wife and I are addicted. Probably put about 6 hours into the thing the past two days.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2017, 10:39:47 pm »
 :cheers:

B2K24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2023, 09:33:05 pm
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2017, 01:29:57 am »
VPX and Physics Mod 5 paired up with DirectB2S (animated backglass) with proper hardware is the absolute best hands down. It's better than even commercial products like TPA and crap you can buy on steam.

Yes, it's a bit of a PITA to understand and to get everything running smoothly, but when you get it, you're golden.
The final end result is worth all the time you'll spend trying to understand all the bells and whistles. Nothing out there plays better except properly maintenanced real pins which are too far and too few these days.

https://imgur.com/a/Nx2Ys

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2017, 10:21:48 am »
Sure PITA, but then at least members here are really good at figuring things out. Hopefully as Howard points out, it can be improved in this area someday; there certainly is room for improvement!

Ian:  Congrats on the game.  I've played a real Black Rose several times and IMHO it's a fun pin.