Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Art - Modify Existing or From Scratch  (Read 3096 times)

morton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New Art - Modify Existing or From Scratch
« on: April 09, 2017, 10:46:37 am »
I am planning a build, and have a theme of sorts figured out... but am torn on which way to go with art. I see there are plenty of threads, and making something from scratch shouldn't be too tricky to do based on the great instructions online.

The theme is still secret, but its a play on an existing cabinet. Now my options are either:

- Modify existing cabinet artwork (Vector available IIRC) and change the lettering and art to suit my theme.
- Create/Hack together new artwork, playing on the theme, but visually using different colours and fonts etc.

Trying to figure out modifying a piece is easier than making a whole new one up. Part of me has the worry the latter idea may take away from the tribute look of it, and people won't make the connection. Then again, those who know, should know. Any brainstorming help would be appreciated.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: New Art - Modify Existing or From Scratch
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 11:23:18 am »
Modifying existing art is easier imo.

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:53:27 pm »
Thanks.

I've worked with jpegs some, but vector is all new to me. Plus, I do not think GIMP is gonna cut it... unless I subscribe to Adobe Illustrator.

stuzza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:50:31 am
  • I'm a llama!
    • ScreenshotArchive
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 12:02:50 am »
Thanks.

I've worked with jpegs some, but vector is all new to me. Plus, I do not think GIMP is gonna cut it... unless I subscribe to Adobe Illustrator.

Use inkscape for Vector artwork.  Great program and it is completely free!  https://inkscape.org/en/

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 06:06:09 pm »
Thanks.

Use inkscape for Vector artwork.  Great program and it is completely free!  https://inkscape.org/en/

Id tak this advice. He does great work. I stole some of it for my ball buster build

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:56:05 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 06:11:03 pm »
I'd rather see a single theme tribute with modified artwork than a crappy collage of 50 different games.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 02:04:02 pm »
I'd rather see a single theme tribute with modified artwork than a crappy collage of 50 different games.

Wouldn't we all? I have seen few if any multi-games that looked good. I think I could come up with one in the process of writing this sentence that would look better than 95% of them, and... yep. Got one  :lol

I am going to go with a single theme on this one.

I am heavily considering modifying the existing art, and keeping the theme close to original. I won't have the game playable on the cabinet though, which kind of bugs me. Or I was considering using the layout and theme as an inspiration for something different, but if you knew the art I want to base it off, it'd make sense... if that sentence made sense hah.

The suggestion of Inkscape was good. Grabbed it already, and been watching some videos on how to use it. Like GIMP... but not.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:56:05 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 02:09:38 pm »

Wouldn't we all? I have seen few if any multi-games that looked good. I think I could come up with one in the process of writing this sentence that would look better than 95% of them, and... yep. Got one 

I am going to go with a single theme on this one.

I am heavily considering modifying the existing art, and keeping the theme close to original. I won't have the game playable on the cabinet though, which kind of bugs me. Or I was considering using the layout and theme as an inspiration for something different, but if you knew the art I want to base it off, it'd make sense... if that sentence made sense hah.

The suggestion of Inkscape was good. Grabbed it already, and been watching some videos on how to use it. Like GIMP... but not.
Good luck to you, brother! Can't wait to see the idea!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:39:09 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 02:19:25 pm »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 05:24:18 pm »
Pay $ for art..... only way unless you can draw.

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 09:30:46 am »
Pay $ for art..... only way unless you can draw.

I am not the best at drawing, but I am damned stubborn and up for a challenge  :lol

Going to bat some ideas around over the weekend, and I shall see what comes up in my brains.