Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building a compact geekroom?  (Read 4220 times)

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Building a compact geekroom?
« on: February 12, 2017, 12:04:17 am »
I have a spare room in my house I've started renovating.  It used to be my main computer room, but for awhile now has mainly been used for storage.  I'd like to re-purpose it and make it a multi-functional, useful space again.

Part of my ideas are driven by a fascination with tiny spaces (tiny apartments, tiny houses, and ).

The overall room is 9x16 feet, plus two closets.  However, I'm thinking about subdividing it down to 9x10 feet (plus closets).  The pictures below show a possible layout; the white wall to the bottom is where I'd have to build a new wall to subdivide the room.

The idea is to cram in a computer area, music station, art/misc work area, big screen TV + media center, mini fridge (maybe), and twin-sized bed.  I want the room to become a cozy, creative refuge from the busy world where I can just focus on my primary interests, leaving only for bathroom breaks.

Below is a possible layout, again with the new temporary wall in white. 

I'm also primarily inspired by cyberpunk themed spaces and decor.  In terms of furnishing, lighting and overall mood, I'd hope to capture some of the below in designing this.

Thoughts, feedback, comments?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:21:04 am by shponglefan »

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
Re: Building a compact geekroom?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 12:05:50 am »
dble post
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:08:10 am by shponglefan »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 04:24:25 am »
I took over the master bedroom closet and put everything in there.  IKEA sells some nice closet space.  You need separation from your office/gaming room and your bedroom.  Having a bed in there will just make it easy to crash, and that can be problematic, unless you have visitors around, then it is a perfect place to run and hide in. :)

I like the steampunk idea. I don't know if it would get too much for such a small room.  For me white walls and no cables does it.  If anything make it like Flynn's basement.  Complete with touchscreen keyboard and a laser particle beam.  Make it look early 80s complete with dust and cobwebs (like my first office).  You can get that brick looking wallpaper....

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/Flynns-Arcade-Comic-Con-2010-Tron-Legacy-13.jpg
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 10:23:30 am »
However, I'm thinking about subdividing it down to 9x10 feet (plus closets).  The pictures below show a possible layout; the white wall to the bottom is where I'd have to build a new wall to subdivide the room.

My home office is only 8x11.5 and my guest bedroom is 9x11.5.  They've both been my bedroom at some point in time.

I've found that shared use open space in the center of the room makes the place feel larger.
While I do have a full size bed centered in the guest room, since your room is dual purpose I'd recommend pushing the bed against the side wall.
It will give you more visual space and you won't feel crowded when you back up your desk chair.

Futons suck.  All futons suck.  Don't be tempted to get one to serve dual purpose as a couch and bed.

In my home office, I currently have a 2ft deep laminated desk surface that runs the full 11.5' length of the room.
It is supported by a cleat on the back and sides and has a couple plain square table legs on the front that divide it into 3 sections.
The far section has storage bins and a file cabinet under it, the middle section has the desk chair and pc tower, the near section has drawing stuff and a smaller chair.
You could do something like that, then put an oversized couch opposite it.  One person could sleep comfortably on an oversized couch instead of having the bed.
You can get 10ft sections of countertop at home improvements stores, although I don't like the incorporated backsplash on a desk.

If you don't need sound isolation, in wall storage built into interior walls is awesome since it doesn't cut into the space of the room and extends it visually.
Since the wall you're building isn't load bearing, you can space the studs however you want.  Tall skinny sets of shelves that are taller than the doorways will visually stretch the room vertically and make it feel bigger.  You've got 3.5" studs + 1/2" drywall+3/4" finished face less 1/4" back=4.5" deep shelves while only intruding into the room 3/4".
Of course they can't be moved if you decide to rearrange the furniture.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 10:36:31 am »

There's my desk in the 8x11 room in all it's messy glory.  The 3D printer is setting in the drawing area.  When I'm doing a bunch of 10 minute prints, I just bring the thing upstairs so I don't have to keep running down to the basement.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 10:47:39 am »
I'm digging that avp piece on the wall.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 10:59:08 am »
You need separation from your office/gaming room and your bedroom.  Having a bed in there will just make it easy to crash, and that can be problematic, unless you have visitors around, then it is a perfect place to run and hide in. :)

Oh, I still have a separate master bedroom as well as a furnished guest room.  This would serve as a second guest room in a pinch and/or my own private refuge.  :)

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 11:06:03 am »
I've found that shared use open space in the center of the room makes the place feel larger.
While I do have a full size bed centered in the guest room, since your room is dual purpose I'd recommend pushing the bed against the side wall.
It will give you more visual space and you won't feel crowded when you back up your desk chair.

I'm partial to a crowded, cluttered space so I want to create something that feels a bit "closed in".  In fact, when I first started mapping out plans, I was thinking of an even smaller space (~70 square feet) compared to the current design (~115 square feet). 

It's an odd preference. :)

Futons suck.  All futons suck.  Don't be tempted to get one to serve dual purpose as a couch and bed.

Oh, don't I know it.  Used to have a futon which I once tried as a bed.  It was awful; I got rid of it.

You could do something like that, then put an oversized couch opposite it.  One person could sleep comfortably on an oversized couch instead of having the bed.

That's an idea for sure; I've toyed with the idea of whether or not I'd rather have a bed or a couch.  Or even some combo thereof (i.e. a daybed) or even a loft bed with a seated area underneath.  Although my ceiling is a bit short for a proper loft bed...

If you don't need sound isolation, in wall storage built into interior walls is awesome since it doesn't cut into the space of the room and extends it visually.
Since the wall you're building isn't load bearing, you can space the studs however you want.  Tall skinny sets of shelves that are taller than the doorways will visually stretch the room vertically and make it feel bigger.  You've got 3.5" studs + 1/2" drywall+3/4" finished face less 1/4" back=4.5" deep shelves while only intruding into the room 3/4".
Of course they can't be moved if you decide to rearrange the furniture.

That's a good idea and something I hadn't considered.  Even just doing some recessed shelving alone the top might make for a good display area for various knicknacks.  Appreciate the idea!   :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 11:06:16 am »
I'm digging that avp piece on the wall.
Chinese print on canvas from eBay. Dirt cheap.  I had to make the frame and stretch it.
The orginal artist only sells small sizes and had a high resolution copy on his website....so cheap Chinese print.

The pics in the first post reminded me of this Clutch video.

Looking more closely this time, it's a pretty ordinary home office, but the black paint on the walls and number of screens really give it the underground bunker control center feel.  Doesn't hurt to scatter a bunch of bare hard drives around.   Needs some ham radio equipment though.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 08:27:51 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 10:44:15 pm »
Her is mine, a music, VR, punching bag, gaming room. I have a projector and I had an 80 inch TV but I never really used them, since you are in your computer room anyway it is always just easier and more convenient to do or watch something at your desk.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 10:54:29 pm »
When you guys figure it out let me know.  I've got all my consoles, my original mame cab, a 3d printer, all my meds, all my pc gaming stuff and my normal pc desk, plus misc parts, and memorabilia all crammed in this room.  I'm reaching maximum capacity real quick. 

jimmyfloyd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2020, 12:30:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 04:45:49 pm »
My Thoughts:

1) Replace the drafting table with a seating area. Or Slim arcade cabinets.
2) replace teh twin bed with a twin murphey bed and attach the Drafting table to the bottom so it is usable when the bed is upright.

You'll welcome the extra space in the room to move around, and since chances are you won't have guests often, the bed can remain out of the way.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 05:26:24 pm »
My Thoughts:

2) replace teh twin bed with a twin murphey bed and attach the Drafting table to the bottom so it is usable when the bed is upright.

You'll welcome the extra space in the room to move around, and since chances are you won't have guests often, the bed can remain out of the way.

Did some measurements and unfortunately a murphy bed won't work.  There's an overhang in front of each closet (not pictured in the renderings) which would block the bed.

It was a good idea though.  I'm still exploring some other ways of potentially maximizing space and still include a bed somehow (i.e. loft beds).

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 05:27:59 pm »
Her is mine, a music, VR, punching bag, gaming room. I have a projector and I had an 80 inch TV but I never really used them, since you are in your computer room anyway it is always just easier and more convenient to do or watch something at your desk.

Nice!  I love the rigging for the Vive cable!   :applaud:

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 05:52:50 pm »
Update on room progress.  Have most of the walls stripped and working on repairing them.  In stripping all the wallpaper I am reminded as to why I *hate* wallpaper.  Nothing like finding a few hundred holes underneath that need filling...  :angry:

jimmyfloyd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2020, 12:30:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 05:39:41 pm »
My Thoughts:

Did some measurements and unfortunately a murphy bed won't work.  There's an overhang in front of each closet (not pictured in the renderings) which would block the bed.

It was a good idea though.  I'm still exploring some other ways of potentially maximizing space and still include a bed somehow (i.e. loft beds).

Could always knock the header out if you don't plan on that space going back to a closet.

This would be another option (or something similar) for occasional guests: https://www.walmart.com/ip/23838424

Either way, looks like a good start!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 11:06:44 am »
I would totally build a murphy bed that had slim arcade cabinets underneath.