Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe cd 100 Storm speakers  (Read 4730 times)

Randy9712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2018, 10:26:56 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rowe cd 100 Storm speakers
« on: October 19, 2016, 01:23:54 am »
Hi To Everyone,
 Been reading for a few days now, but still not sure. I picked up a Rowe wall mount cd-100 and trying to hook speakers up the right way  :) . I found a manual on line for the Cd-100 Laserstar Starglo, which seems pretty close to this ???
So, I want to hook up (2) Bose 301 8 Ohm's and (2)Studio Monitor 65, 300W ea and 8 Ohm. Not sure of the correct way with out messing something up. Do I hook them all to 1 and 7 ? ,or is that to much?
Thank you

PS Another question... Why does a few of the songs say "Not allowed" ? I did a full scan when I put cds in

PSS  :laugh2: Still reading. Ran across a post that lilshawn replied to. Can I use the middle diagram ?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 03:47:21 am by Randy9712 »

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
Re: Rowe cd 100 Storm speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:15:35 am »
Dependant on how you wire up the speakers the impedence must not be less than 4 Ohms per channel, failure to keep it above 4 ohms will damage the amplifier.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:01:05 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:47:57 am »
problem with lots of speakers (including the bose 301's IIRC is that they are what's called "4/8 ohm compatible) IE, they are actually 6 ohms. while others are actually 8 ohm. You need to account for this in your calculations.

actually measure each speaker and see if they are in fact 8 ohm. if so, the middle diagram is acceptable.  it should get you close.... but measure your setup before hooking everything up to be extra sure.

basically the easiest way to do it...

you daisy chain in parallel, 2 speakers on one cable. (+ to + and - to -).... do the same for the other set of 2 speakers so you have 2 speaker line wire (4 conductors) back at your jukebox with 2 speakers in parallel on each line...

Then take your 2 speaker wires.... strip all the wires and take one positive wire from one cable, and the negative wire of the other cable (doesn't matter which) and attach them together with a Marette. (wire nut)

measure the remaining + and - leads with a meter. your reading should be somewhere between 4 and 8 ohms.

less than 4 is bad. will require a different wire up.... more than 8 is okay, but results in excess load and reduced volume output. if all is good hook them up to the juke. on E0 and E7

before attaching your external speakers, you will need to move the jukeboxes internal speakers to the other channel of the amp. I recommend placing the jukes leads on E6 and E7.

test your speakers. if the speakers are being overdriven move the positive down a few taps to E6,5,4 until there is no distortion at higher volumes.

Randy9712

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 11:15:22 pm »
Thank you for the replies.
I have one more of the SM 65 speakers that will be delivered fri. So I will hook them all up and check the ohm's. This is a wall mount, and does not have internal speakers.
Also, I'm getting errors when I first turn it on, but they go away and it plays fine. I've been using it for a few months with just the Bose hooked up. I'll post the errors and my ohm readings when I get the other speaker.

Another question...
Say I want the SM 65 speakers in one part of the basement (loud), and the Bose in other areas of the basement not as loud. How would I hook that scenario up ?

Randy9712

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 09:08:05 am »
Other speaker just arrived  :applaud:
Now, the bad news... I checked the ohms on the Bose ,and they were right on 6. I checked both of the StudioMonitor 65, and they were both 3.5 . So now I'm really confused  :dunno

I also turned the jukebox on to get the errors.
CHECKSUM=6000- RAM TEST PASSED-Ram Error 1-CCC MAY- MALFUNCTION-UNLESS RAM-CORRECTED-SEE REPLACING- CCC EPROM

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 02:52:59 pm »
I assume you want 2 separate volume controls for 2 separate areas?

two 3.5 in series will yield ~7 ohms, so you are good to put that on one channel.

the 2 bose on the other hand... you will either get 3 ohms or 12 ohms. neither of which are really any good. be nice if you had an additional 2 bose 301's.

as for your error, i'm not too sure. have you tried doing a reset on it? hows the battery voltage in the CCC? maybe the data is getting corrupted and it THINKS it's bad because it's invalid due to bad battery.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 03:12:58 pm »
when u buy these volume controls.
follow these rules very close
control = max power it will handle (8ohm-25 watt) would need to go on the 25 watt tap of the output transformer
control = max power it will handle (8ohm-50 watt) would need to go on the 50 watt tap of the output transformer
as Shawn stated place the left side lets say on the lower set of speakers and the right side on the other
set the amp for (mono output) NOT stereo
and u should be good as gold..do not allow the output of the amp full below 8 ohms if u can help it

on your second problem with the ccc
yes chk the battery. if that is failing ?
it will cause all kinds of problems
also do not forget that the nvram has its own battery back up and as they are adged
it would not surprise me if u find it bad

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Randy9712

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 07:28:55 pm »
Thank you for the replies  :applaud:
Check the battery, and it was at .5V Put a new one in, no errors.

Found this searching last night ...  http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

Here is a quote from it

So, how do you tell what the impedance of a speaker is?  On most cabinets, it should be printed on a label next to the jack.  If the speaker is visible, it may be printed on the speaker label or stamped on the frame or magnet. To measure the true impedance of a speaker or cabinet requires a rather complex procedure involving signal generators, power amplifiers and high frequency AC voltmeters.  However, with raw speakers and many cabinets,  the ohmmeter function of a digital multimeter can help you identify what the impedance of the speaker should be.  Generally, the reading given by an ohmmeter will be about 2/3  to 3/4 of the impedance of the speaker. So, a 4 ohm speaker will typically measure about 2.5 - 3 ohms, and an 8 ohm speaker will typically read about 5-6 ohms, while a 16 ohm speaker will measure around 12 ohms.

Does this mean that the SM 65 are actually over 4 Ohm speakers? If so, I'll just hook them two up

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 07:40:43 pm »
if u follow the rule I posted u ?
the amp will only see the volume control as the over all ohms it is looking for

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 12:59:44 pm »
Does this mean that the SM 65 are actually over 4 Ohm speakers? If so, I'll just hook them two up

it's entirely possible. I google'd the model and with the multiple woofers it has, those speakers probably have a crossover built into them that is throwing off a true impedance reading.

if that's the case, then I would put the 2 Bose in parallel on one channel and the 2 SM65 in series on the other channel. it's not ideal, but about as close as you will get.

double check your readings on the wires before you hook them up to be sure it's over ~4 ohms, but under ~8 ohms.