Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dominux8 design flaw or am I missing something?  (Read 10097 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:30 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Dominux8 design flaw or am I missing something?
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 02:50:06 pm »
Dust washer placement information, and requirements thereto, have been added to the notes in the product description.

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2016, 02:52:02 pm »
I cant believe this thread has become what it has!

You answered your own question in the first post by observing you needed spacers.

If you are indulging in this hobby you need a certain amount of know how, a little ingenuity and some DIY skills.

You should not really require a note from the manufacturer saying if you need to space it use spacers.

Sure it will cost Randy nothing to put it on his website and yeah cost him pennies to ship it with 4 washers but I cant believe such a big deal has been made of all this.

Give me a ---smurfing--- break, are you seriously lecturing me on know how in this hobby? Do you think I posted originally because I didn't know how to add spacers? Good lord, this kind of condescending dismissive ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- is exactly what I'm talking about. Your response(s) contributed nothing to this topic, zero, other to piss off the OP.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Dominux8 design flaw or am I missing something?
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2016, 02:58:51 pm »
What could I possibly add to solving your problem?
You answered it in post 1... Add the bloody spacers!

That post was not a attack aimed directly at you by the way.

But this thread seems to of of somehow painted Randy and his product in a bad light.

With people complaining that his design is "flawed" and he should invest his time and money into a non existent problem.

The main point is for someone stumbling across this thread it could put them off buying one of these sticks or other products for a problem that is nothing.

I can understand why Randy is maybe feeling a little under appreciated here because thats how I would feel in his shoes.

I do not have one of these sticks, I live on the other side of the world so dont really order anything from him but I do appreciate what he does so I might buy stuff in the future.

As I said before though carriage is a killer so not that likely :p
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:00:56 pm by Titchgamer »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2016, 03:21:50 pm »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2016, 03:33:32 pm »
You shouldn't chime in on ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- you don't understand, especially in inflammatory ways, you've posted nothing constructive in this thread. You throw in a 'This Thread too Long' meme, then dismissively say 'the OP answered his own question himself', then proceed to lecture me on how it's a stupid easy fix when you have no idea what you're talking about.  :banghead:

If you'd actually bothered to read you'd know that my question was NOT answered in the first post. I asked about alternative ways to mount the restrictor plates because with many joysticks you mount the restrictor on the bottom. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything and really didn't want to disassemble the joystick and start experimenting so I did a quick post. I already apologized to Randy for using the word 'design flaw' in the title and my communication with him has been very civil, you're the one being an ass.

You can 'add to solving the problem' by not chiming, interjections like yours (and others btw) are what completely derailed this thread which may be useful to the next person who has the same question.
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2016, 03:56:52 pm »
Dude you are the one bitching and making this "about me".

I couldn't give a toss really its your stick, your build.

As I said I dont own these sticks and never have.
But why would you need to disassemble the stick?
From the pics you posted at the start of the thread the top is solid and you said the restrictor sits on the top in the recess so great.
Thats how its designed to fit awesome!

So why would you not use spacers to space it a few mm from the panel?

I dont understand the problem here sorry!

As a wise man once said keep meadow muffin simple!

Sorry you have taken offence to something where none was intended but maybe you need one of those thicker skins someone mentioned?

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2016, 04:00:11 pm »

No, no you really don't.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2016, 04:01:08 pm »

No, no you really don't.

Well guess we can leave that there then :p

Good luck with your build :)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2016, 04:10:43 pm »
So what holds the restrictors in place if you use spacers to drop the joystick assembly?  Gravity?

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2016, 04:21:11 pm »
So what holds the restrictors in place if you use spacers to drop the joystick assembly?  Gravity?

The restrictor is held on by the tiny screws (RED arrow), the spacers go where the ORANGE arrow points to. If you look at the bottom YELLOW arrow you'll see the restrictor screw holes line up which is why you'd think the restrictor could possibly be bottom mounted.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:36:27 pm by 8BitMonk »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2016, 04:36:27 pm »
I think there is just a bit of misunderstanding going on here with the OP. He was expecting a drop-in solution to a metal panel, but as I've tried to explain most metal panels either have welded mounts/stand-offs or actual washers when separation is needed.
Most non-Japanese candy cab metal panels, like for Dynamos for example rarely had their dust washers under the panel. Those that did, used washers for the separation.

It just comes down to a bit of experience from more years in this hobby or exposure to more original cabs. I don't think Randy's product is trying to pull a fast one here, it doesn't merit getting mad at him IMO.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2016, 04:50:02 pm »
It just comes down to a bit of experience from more years in this hobby or exposure to more original cabs. I don't think Randy's product is trying to pull a fast one here, it doesn't merit getting mad at him IMO.

I don't think it comes down to years of experience at all. The original question was really simple, do I use spacers to stand off the joystick or has the option of bottom mounting them already been accounted for in the design in some way that I'm unaware of. I didn't accuse Randy of anything, that was other people interjecting, which in retrospect has been the whole problem with this thread. And I'm not referring to you opt.  ;)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2016, 06:01:29 pm »
Do any other joysticks use a top mounted restrictor like this??

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2016, 06:53:46 pm »

I don't think it comes down to years of experience at all. The original question was really simple, do I use spacers to stand off the joystick or has the option of bottom mounting them already been accounted for in the design in some way that I'm unaware of. I didn't accuse Randy of anything, that was other people interjecting, which in retrospect has been the whole problem with this thread. And I'm not referring to you opt.  ;)
Cheers bro  :cheers:
We all get over passionate about the hobby at times, myself included. Hopefully the solution you chose works out and is satisfactory.

None that I can think of from the major manufacturers. I think Randy had an older stick that had an above-panel restricted stick but I vaguely remember the name. Omni, perhaps?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:11:42 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2016, 08:33:24 pm »
Ultimarc has a swappable top-mount restrictor for the U360.

http://www.ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html

Mameroom/Northcoast Custom Arcades makes after-market above-the panel switching restrictors for several types of sticks.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150563.0.html

I think Randy had an older stick that had an above-panel restricted stick but I vaguely remember the name. Omni, perhaps?
I think you're referring to the OMNI-Stik PRODIGY.

It had a 4-way/8/way switching lever above the panel, but the restrictor plate (red) was on the bottom of the stick.

Scott

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2016, 08:49:02 pm »
Ahhhhh. In my head I was thinking ultimarc's top panel mount, but for some reason thought of Randy's Omni Prodigy. Thanks for clearing that up PL1.  :applaud:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2016, 09:27:47 pm »
So, nothing besides after market cruft.  Figures.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:26:30 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 10:43:18 am »

So, nothing besides after market cruft.  Figures.

Not exactly so.  The original WICO 4-ways, original Pacman stick, and probably some others I can't think of ATM.  The WICO also had diamond shaped restriction in the lower portion of the base, probably for extra wear factor.  These were not add-on restriction, rather molded or cut into the base.

Placing the restriction at the bottom of the Dominux8 is not possible, without many changes to the design and the parts.  It would add significantly more cost, increase the below panel depth footprint, and likely negate the feature of the installer being able to select the shaft length they desire.  And after all that, the net result would be only to solve the dustwasher issue, which isn't even an issue for most.  Simply adding spacers is a better, and more economical alternative, for those who need both restriction and the dustwasher below a metal panel.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:48:26 am by RandyT »

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 05:01:06 pm »
 :whap
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None