Main > Lightguns

DemulShooter (Dual light gun on DEMUL, Model2, Dolphin, Silent Hill, etc...)

<< < (680/692) > >>

Toasty833:
Kind of a strange feature request, but would it be possible to make demulshooter intercept left clicks at the screen edges and turn them into right clicks instead? I have a gun that's left click only, so off-screen reloads aren't possible.

This could be expanded into a region selection, which might be useful for 4:3 games and more standard guns. If all games are played fullscreen, rather than having to click off the screen at the top or bottom, or move all the way to the sides of a 16:9 monitor for off-screen reloads, you could just click the black border on either side of the playable screen region to send a right click event instead. I don't know if this is already implemented through some gun software though.

ThatOneSeong:

--- Quote from: Toasty833 on April 14, 2024, 02:41:47 am ---Kind of a strange feature request, but would it be possible to make demulshooter intercept left clicks at the screen edges and turn them into right clicks instead? I have a gun that's left click only, so off-screen reloads aren't possible.

This could be expanded into a region selection, which might be useful for 4:3 games and more standard guns. If all games are played fullscreen, rather than having to click off the screen at the top or bottom, or move all the way to the sides of a 16:9 monitor for off-screen reloads, you could just click the black border on either side of the playable screen region to send a right click event instead. I don't know if this is already implemented through some gun software though.

--- End quote ---
That's something that should be implemented on the gun side.

Hot take: using right clicks for a different trigger pull action is incorrect behavior.
It should be able to function like MAME, RetroArch, and PCSX2 does, where the game/emu can differentiate left click/trigger pulls between on-screen and off-screen and change its behavior accordingly. Right-click to reload has always been kind of a dirty hack for emulators or games that failed to consider this, imo.

Of course, this doesn't count games like Sega Golden Gun which natively used an auto-reload when simply pointing off-screen or a button to reload early--I'm just talking about those games that use shoot offscreen to reload, that shouldn't take up a whole other button. Makes playing some games on a converted Virtua Gun (which only has a trigger and one button) kind of cramped.

Toasty833:

--- Quote from: ThatOneSeong on April 14, 2024, 11:04:41 am ---That's something that should be implemented on the gun side.

--- End quote ---
Sure, but what if it's not possible? I do think having a settable border where on-screen left clicks are treated as off-screen right clicks by demulshooter is useful for certain aspect ratios on any gun, in the modern day most screens are 16:9 which means shooting off-screen to the sides in 4:3 games requires extra movement.

--- Quote from: ThatOneSeong on April 14, 2024, 11:04:41 am ---Hot take: using right clicks for a different trigger pull action is incorrect behavior.
It should be able to function like MAME, RetroArch, and PCSX2 does, where the game/emu can differentiate left click/trigger pulls between on-screen and off-screen and change its behavior accordingly. Right-click to reload has always been kind of a dirty hack for emulators or games that failed to consider this, imo.

--- End quote ---
Do these emulators actually differentiate? I thought they just took an external secondary input, like right click, and mapped that to reload, which requires the gun software/hardware to send a different input for on-screen or off-screen trigger events. Right-click has become the de-facto standard for this, probably because it made sense for windows ports with mouse support.

argonlefou:

--- Quote from: Toasty833 on April 14, 2024, 02:41:47 am ---Kind of a strange feature request, but would it be possible to make demulshooter intercept left clicks at the screen edges and turn them into right clicks instead? I have a gun that's left click only, so off-screen reloads aren't possible.

--- End quote ---
It is possible, in theory. I have (again, in theory) all needed information (gun data range, min & max values) to do so.
But in reality, it would require heavy change deep in the core of DemulShooter, where hardware data is handled, as well as a lot more GUI and config updates to enable the functionality and set the limits.....
This is way, way more work than I can handle right now.

--- Quote from: Toasty833 on April 14, 2024, 02:41:47 am ---This could be expanded into a region selection, which might be useful for 4:3 games and more standard guns. If all games are played fullscreen, rather than having to click off the screen at the top or bottom, or move all the way to the sides of a 16:9 monitor for off-screen reloads, you could just click the black border on either side of the playable screen region to send a right click event instead.]

--- End quote ---
Almost all players I've seen so far are reloading by pointing the gun below the screen to shoot off-limits.
16/9 or 4/3 format isn't changing anything, there is no black borders at the bottom, so aiming at the bottom screen border or aiming just below the bottom screen border is just a question of millimeters...

So yes, it's a very, very specific request, not to say for your device only...because it's the 1st time I'm reading about that particular issue in almost a decade.
I'd be curious to know what is your lightgun model/hardware ?

As for solutions, I've allowed DemulShooter to read keyboard signal to replace physical buttons that are missing on older guns (like EMS Top Gun).
You just need someone to make your own program analysing your gun data, check with your screen boundaries, and send a specific keyboard key to replace a RightButton event when you  need.

Toasty833:

--- Quote from: argonlefou on April 16, 2024, 09:47:33 am ---This is way, way more work than I can handle right now.

--- End quote ---
Fair enough, I understand it's a niche ask.

--- Quote from: argonlefou on April 16, 2024, 09:47:33 am ---Almost all players I've seen so far are reloading by pointing the gun below the screen to shoot off-limits.
16/9 or 4/3 format isn't changing anything, there is no black borders at the bottom, so aiming at the bottom screen border or aiming just below the bottom screen border is just a question of millimeters...

--- End quote ---
Isn't there a small chance they're typically aiming low because it's more work to aim off to the side on modern screens? Personally I tend to just aim off whatever side is closest, with 16:9 screens that's generally the top, I feel like it's a little faster than aiming down and less fatiguing, but I guess it depends on your grip. Sometimes it's nice to switch it up so your wrist doesn't get tired.

--- Quote from: argonlefou on April 16, 2024, 09:47:33 am ---So yes, it's a very, very specific request, not to say for your device only...because it's the 1st time I'm reading about that particular issue in almost a decade.
I'd be curious to know what is your lightgun model/hardware ?

--- End quote ---
It's a hacked together solution that essentially uses VR tracking to move a mouse cursor around with a tracked guncon. There isn't any gun data to analyse to my knowledge, I can't even get the virtual mouse to show up in DS config so I use the single mouse command to get it working. I doubt you'll be seeing anyone else complaining about it, at the very least.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version