Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First time builder - Star Wars Bartop  (Read 3953 times)

acjgoblu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2019, 06:05:32 pm
  • Newbie bartop builder
First time builder - Star Wars Bartop
« on: April 04, 2016, 11:26:16 pm »
As a disclaimer, I'm not sure if this qualifies as a true project (as I didn't cut the cabinet myself), but wanted to share my bartop that I'm just finishing up.

I'm a first time builder and got a LOT of help from this site, both active help from members of this forum as well as hours of research and troubleshooting along the way. Special thanks go out to HaRuMaN who provided me the DIY kit and answered more questions than I'm sure he usually has to, TkW4rr10r for the sweet modder system, stpcore for high quality printing service, and jmandmc from Focus Attack and AndyWarne from Ultimarc for getting me the perfect parts to complete the build. SlammedNiss also hooked me up with some vinyl decals. Really can't recommend working with any of these fine folks highly enough, they were all quick and efficient and super helpful.

I started working on this in early January 2016 and just finished this past weekend. I decided from the beginning that I wanted this to be a multipurpose bartop. I have fond memories of playing arcade games as well as early generation consoles growing up, so the machine emulates MAME, Model 2, NES, Genesis, SNES, and Dreamcast. I went with HaRuMaN for my DIY kit both because of his great rep on the boards as well as his ability to fit 2 player (6 buttons each) controls with a central trackball on the control panel, which I didn't think I'd be able to get. This is using his Ultimate Widescreen model. I got some Sanwa JLFs and admin buttons from Focus Attack, then added an Ultimate IO I-Pac from Ultimarc with ClassicRGB buttons, an Aimtrak, and a UTrak trackball. Lastly, decided to go with Star Wars for the artwork because Star Wars = amazing. I did all of my artwork myself using Gimp, then sent it off to stpcore for printing.

Anyways, I had a ton of fun putting this together, and will continue to have a ton of fun playing now that I'm done. I'm hoping I can eventually share this with my daughter (only 2yo now) so that she can enjoy a part of that experience that I had growing up. In the meantime, fun for me and guests  :)

Thanks again to everyone on the boards, truly couldn't have done it without the help!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:28:39 pm by acjgoblu »

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:59:06 am
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Re: First time builder - Star Wars Bartop
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:41:41 pm »
Wow you did really good on this build. Any plans to upgrade the track ball to LED?

acjgoblu

• Offline Offline
  • Newbie bartop builder
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:09 pm »
Thanks!

Definitely thinking about it - wanted to see what it looked like without and might upgrade it at a later time. Always good to know that Ultimarc can get me the upgrade within a few days if and when I decide to pull the trigger!

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2023, 08:53:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:57:25 pm »
Very cool I'm trying to work out some star wars inspired artwork on my cocktail cab that I ordered from Haruman. Then I get to move on my bartop  also ordered from him.

acjgoblu

• Offline Offline
  • Newbie bartop builder
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:06:33 am »
I ended up using some HD wallpapers for some of my images. Fortunately there are plenty of good high res star wars images out there!

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 12:13:48 am »
Do you have any pics of the inside how did you cram the pc inside there got to imagine it was a tight squeeze

acjgoblu

• Offline Offline
  • Newbie bartop builder
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 12:22:29 am »
Yup, it was tight. I had to decase to get it to fit. In honesty, I had next to no experience with computers prior to this project...so if I can do it, anyone can. I just pulled out the motherboard, hard drive, and power supply and affixed them to the inside of the cabinet with velcro. I kept the computer fan attached to the motherboard as well and mounted it to the inside of the back door for additional ventilation.

Birdman042

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2022, 10:57:41 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 02:23:09 pm »
Very nice build!  :applaud:

acjgoblu

• Offline Offline
  • Newbie bartop builder
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 10:41:50 am »
Thanks!

I thought I'd have a bit of a letdown when the building was over, as it really was a fun process, but playing is (of course) just as fun!

efp9teen78

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 12:01:21 pm »
where did you get Gimp from I keep getting errors when trying to install it

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:22:42 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 01:08:56 pm »
Looks great!!   :applaud: :cheers:

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:13 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 01:36:35 pm »
Did you have your CP custom cut by HaRuMan?  I didn't see a similar layout on his site.  Also, what kind of TB did you use?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:22:42 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 02:27:42 pm »
Did you have your CP custom cut by HaRuMan?  I didn't see a similar layout on his site.  Also, what kind of TB did you use?

Yeah that's a custom cut.  That's the U-trak by ultimarc.  Works great! :)

acjgoblu

• Offline Offline
  • Newbie bartop builder
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 11:08:21 am »
I just downloaded Gimp from their main website (gimp.org). It's a large program, and I think I needed to attempt to install more than once as well. Helps to be upgrade to the most recent version of your OS (I'm on a Mac, and it didn't work for me until I upgraded to OSX Maverick).

And yes, HaRuMaN did custom cut that for me - that's the great thing about working with him! After seeing the size of the trackball housing, I'm all the more impressed by Lee's ability to fit everything I was asking for on one CP. As you can see in the attached pic, the underside of my CP is quite busy, but everything fits and it works perfectly for my needs.