Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Resident Evil- do ALL versions have janky controls?  (Read 1371 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:40:07 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Resident Evil- do ALL versions have janky controls?
« on: August 22, 2023, 08:05:29 pm »

Many moons ago I had a go of Resident Evil 2. Tank controls. No matter, I knew about that and thought I'd give it a go, but really didn't like it. I figured later iterations would be better. Lately I've read that Resident Evil 4 is good, and that you get the most from the Wii version. Well, turns out I have it (dunno about you guys, but sometimes you buy games and forget you have it 😄 ). Anyway, that has janky controls too. While I was looking in my collection, I realised I had Resident Evil for the GameCube, again supposed to be an improvement over the original. Nope.

And it's not just a matter of context. Resident Evil on PS1 is contemporary to Mario and Goldeneye. They control much better. The GameCube version is contemporary to Medal of Honour. And the Wii version is contemporary with Call of Duty World at War.

What's the story? I would like to say I've played one, but don't want to waste more money.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:05:20 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Resident Evil- do ALL versions have janky controls?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 11:45:35 am »
i believe the tank style controls where intentionally chosen to perceive the game as more difficult than it actually is.

by RE4, it changed to the more popular "tracking" camera and a movement style we have come accustomed to in other 3rd person shooters of the time, so it made things "easier" for those players. RE6 rolled out, it had got rid of the tanky controls and went full shmup.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 01:41:29 pm »
I never understood the janky controls issue. played the originals when I was like 11 and all of them were perfectly playable.

maybe you wanna try re2 remake and re4 remake. these might have better controls I dunno. both amazing games tho. re4r with slight motion sickness.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 09:32:48 pm »
As I highlighted before, other games contemporary to the ones I've played were much better to control. If what lilshawn says is correct - they made the controls awkward just to make the game harder, I'm out. Just have good controls and make the game harder!

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 12:11:45 pm »
those games werent difficult just because of the controls tho lol. you get limited supply of things and had to "survive the horror"

in fact resident evil 3 in normal mode is quite difficult and its not because of the controls its because nememis is alway all up in yo business and you have limited ammo/supply to fight and sometimes you are forced to just run.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 02:52:30 am »
those games werent difficult just because of the controls tho lol. you get limited supply of things and had to "survive the horror"

in fact resident evil 3 in normal mode is quite difficult and its not because of the controls its because nememis is alway all up in yo business and you have limited ammo/supply to fight and sometimes you are forced to just run.

Dunno, playing re4 I couldn't even make the gun fire when I wanted. I just had to resort to stabbing everything. AND THE REST OF THE CONTROLS WERE JANKY TOO. Its not a perspective of being spoilt by modern games, I can quite happily play Goldeneye on the N64 or Medal of Honor on the GameCube this very minute.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 06:45:51 pm »
Ok, just read a review of the re4 remake. Might give that a go when it's cheap -

"Mechanically Resident Evil 4 feels hugely different as well, with Leon being far lighter on his feet than he was in the 2005 game. RE4s tank controls are a thing of the past and Leon can now move and shoot, duck and generally perform with far more athleticism than he did before."

SNAAKE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 04:01:55 pm »
re4 remake controls is better.

I even played the wii version which is very fun you get to shoot with the wiimore and stab by doing the stab motion lol. if you still plan to play the original re4 I highly recommend the wii version.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 08:50:14 pm »
Um, like I said, HAVE the Wii version. Pretty all I could do was stab because between the tank controls and the not being allowed to shoot the moment you need to shoot thing it was down to flailing wildly at the baddies 😄

It's a pity, because COD world at war is really good fun on the Wii, controls are great 👍

But at some stage I'll try this latest version of re4