Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: READY PLAYER ONE: Arcade Cabinet Build (First Build **ALMOST COMPLETE**)  (Read 55274 times)

Pauly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2020, 12:00:27 am
  • Greetings, Starfighter.
Re: Family Arcade Cabinet Build (First Build)
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2015, 12:02:31 am »
Were you planning on screwing the CP's side pieces into those strips of wood? If you're using decent wood glue you probably don't need any strips or screws to hold the sides onto the base piece. Just glue and clamp them on. The glue's bond is stronger than the wood itself.

Wasn't planning on screwing in the control panel sides. Was going wood glue all the way. Glad that your opinion is the same!  :cheers:

Pauly

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2015, 12:09:58 am »
Quick update:

Getting the hang of the woodworking tools now....Youtube videos and this forums great advice is teaching me a lot about it! Not only am I building a cab, but I am learning a skill - That's pretty great.

So tools I have acquired so far for this project:
  • Tablesaw
  • Wood Chisels
  • Router
  • Jigsaw

So here is something cool I wanted to share. This is the plunger I got from hong kong for the pinball games.

Sorry for the mess, I havent really cleaned the boards yet...I am applying wood filler now to hide all the damn sin I have made.  :banghead:
Pauly

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2015, 01:09:27 am »

Filler abuse.......

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2015, 01:18:38 am »

Filler abuse.......

Listen, I am doing what I can with what little knowledge i have of woodworking. If you want to criticize, at least provide me with constructive feedback.
Pauly

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2015, 04:49:55 am »
 :applaud: this is crazy, I've gotta start making a list of all the cabs using my FLYNN's project as a base. I know of at least a half dozen for sure. Good luck, I'll be watching.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2015, 09:35:46 am »

Filler abuse.......

Listen, I am doing what I can with what little knowledge i have of woodworking. If you want to criticize, at least provide me with constructive feedback.

Not sure you can criticize if your agreeing with someone.

First, lighten up man it was a joke.

If you look at the time i responded at 1 am, Dallas Texas Time, so I didn't have time to elaborate

My only advice at this point in the build is take your time, if you're slathering up the wood putty, like that, it usually means your rushing, and you chose a helluva hard profile to build for your first non-woodworking experience attempt at a first cab.

The rendering looks cool, i hope you can pull it off.

What do you want for your DL machine, im in mckinney?

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2015, 10:35:57 am »
Hey Pauly, I'm enjoying following your progress. You have a great set of tools collected for this build so far. I think your next purchase should be an random orbit sander. Ain't nothing wrong with having to use some filler. Nobody gets through a build without having to use a little. Even for  some nail/screw holes.

They are actually one most valuable tools for the price. I can't believe how much I use mine and it was only $40. Amazon has a nice DeWalt for $60. (I'm sorta partial to DeWalt)  If you are like me, then after 5 minutes of sanding by hand, you would pay anything to make it go faster.

Orbit sander is gonna give you a really nice smooth finish too. (With a high grit sandpaper). Speaking from experience, you are going to really want to sand that filler smooth. It will definitely show in the end if you don't. (Unless it is covered with vinyl or decals) It will be worth it now to fix it or it will bug you for the life of the cab.

You will want to close your eyes and move your hand across the damaged area. You'll know you got it perfect when you can't tell where the MDF ends and filler begins.  :cheers:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

abkaz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2023, 11:32:35 am
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2015, 10:47:33 am »
I like the plunger - our last build has a similar CP with buttons on the side for pinball. How far into the CP does your plunger extend? We had to skip the plunger because it was too long and the player 2 buttons were in the way. So now we use the P2 joystick instead (pull down to pull the plunger, then release the stick to release the plunger).

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2015, 10:52:11 pm »
Not sure you can criticize if your agreeing with someone.

First, lighten up man it was a joke.

Fair enough. You caught me on a stupid mental day.  :cheers: Plus your a Cowboys fan - Therefore your automatically awesome.

My only advice at this point in the build is take your time, if you're slathering up the wood putty, like that, it usually means your rushing, and you chose a helluva hard profile to build for your first non-woodworking experience attempt at a first cab.

The rendering looks cool, i hope you can pull it off.

Thanks for the advice, trust me I am not trying to rush. Pretty much everyone I know has said "Dude, that's impossible for you to do." - I might have little man syndrome, cause now I want to prove everyone wrong!   :lol

What do you want for your DL machine, im in mckinney?

First off, SHUT THE  :censored: UP!! I'm in McKinney too! Stacy and Ridge! I'm willing to part with DL for $1,200 at the least. Everything is original including the Laser Disc (sans Side Art). Little history, I've had DL since college which was '99, bought it from some dude in Houston. It's been indoors the entire time.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:08:11 pm by Pauly »
Pauly

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2015, 10:56:40 pm »
Orbit sander is gonna give you a really nice smooth finish too. (With a high grit sandpaper). Speaking from experience, you are going to really want to sand that filler smooth. It will definitely show in the end if you don't. (Unless it is covered with vinyl or decals) It will be worth it now to fix it or it will bug you for the life of the cab.

Thanks so much! Orbit Sander is now on the list - believe it or not I found a belt sander randomly in the garage. I have a feeling that using that with destroy everything I have done so far.
Pauly

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 10:59:55 pm »
I like the plunger - our last build has a similar CP with buttons on the side for pinball. How far into the CP does your plunger extend? We had to skip the plunger because it was too long and the player 2 buttons were in the way. So now we use the P2 joystick instead (pull down to pull the plunger, then release the stick to release the plunger).

Good question, I thought about the spacing in particular. Right now, there is enough space for the plunger and the side button. However, I testing locations on the top to ensure that player 2 doesnt come in contact. Here is an image of how long it is. Right now I am crossing my fingers this will not be a problem, cause it feels SUPER cool.

Pauly

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:56 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 11:20:42 pm »

Fair enough. You caught me on a stupid mental day.  :cheers: Plus your a Cowboys fan - Therefore your automatically awesome.

Aw, crap, they're going to start multiplying around here. Better get my "Romo sucks" shirt out of the washer.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 11:36:48 pm »

Aw, crap, they're going to start multiplying around here. Better get my "Romo sucks" shirt out of the washer.

That's awesome, you, my dad and my dumb Packer friends!  :laugh2:
Pauly

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 11:38:14 pm »

That's awesome, you, my dad and my dumb Packer friends!  :laugh2:

Romo goes full Romo every Sunday :cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2015, 09:22:42 am »
K, you mentioned Cowboys, Yot has a nose for that word, anytime it is mentioned he finds the thread and derails it with hatred and disgust.  Anytime i build a cowboys rig i build it in his honor.

Im on independence and virginia.....

Oddly enough, i dont watch football, so I have to listen to my wife cuss and cheer the cowboys on.

PM though, we are driving distance, i got spare parts and tools you could use to assist with your build, test pieces etc, and i'll give you some tips on how to use them effectively (constructive feedback as you say).  Give you some insight and ideas on the process if you like.  Let me know don't mind helping out a fellow hobbyist.

Too rich for my blood on the machine, its a beaut though.....

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:38:27 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2015, 09:33:53 am »
Now kiss.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2015, 10:56:05 am »
Now kiss.

Oh yeah PBJ, is the hate troll of the forum, he hates on everybody and everything.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:06:00 am by rablack97 »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:38:27 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2015, 11:43:14 am »
Oh yeah PBJ, is the hate troll of the forum, he hates on everybody and everything.

"Troll" implies that the feelings aren't sincere.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2015, 12:01:49 pm »
K, you mentioned Cowboys, Yot has a nose for that word, anytime it is mentioned he finds the thread and derails it with hatred and disgust.  Anytime i build a cowboys rig i build it in his honor.

My homeboy rablack97 is very talented. I'd take him up on any offers of help.

And although it pains me, I expect Arlington to win the division this year. Someone has to come in first in that crappy division.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2015, 01:11:42 pm »

(Sorry, haha! Just had to post this...)  ;D

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2015, 01:43:20 pm »

Oddly enough, i dont watch football, so I have to listen to my wife cuss and cheer the cowboys on.

PM though, we are driving distance, i got spare parts and tools you could use to assist with your build, test pieces etc, and i'll give you some tips on how to use them effectively (constructive feedback as you say).  Give you some insight and ideas on the process if you like.  Let me know don't mind helping out a fellow hobbyist.

You have a good wife :applaud:! Thanks so much, I will most likely take you up on that. In a matter of fact, I need a suggestion on the top of the CP. I cut it out last night and after laying it on top of the bottom portion, it feels uncomfortable to push the pinball paddle buttons. I designed it to have a 1" overhang....Do you think thats too much? Here is a photo from this morning.

Pauly

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2015, 01:47:29 pm »

(Sorry, haha! Just had to post this...)  ;D

Awww man..... I've got nothing here because it's the truth.

Pauly

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2015, 01:59:15 pm »

"Troll" implies that the feelings aren't sincere.

Gotta love him!!!!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2015, 02:11:27 pm »

You have a good wife :applaud:! Thanks so much, I will most likely take you up on that. In a matter of fact, I need a suggestion on the top of the CP. I cut it out last night and after laying it on top of the bottom portion, it feels uncomfortable to push the pinball paddle buttons. I designed it to have a 1" overhang....Do you think thats too much? Here is a photo from this morning.

I have an 1 inch overhang on mine, for pinball purists its uncomfortable, but keep in mind your not building a pinball machine is a mixture of both.  I've seen folks give up comfort to keep the look of the cab uniform, its the look your going for here i think.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2015, 02:16:17 pm »
ALso not sure where you are gonna source your parts, but tornado terry in keller (google it) has alot of your basic parts, jsticks, buttons, marquee holders, etc.  The drive isnt that bad and you dont have to wait on shipping.

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2015, 11:17:15 pm »
I am actually pretty proud how this is coming together. Tonight I got it standing up.

What has happened so far.
  • 3 half inch splinters removed from under my nails - F.U. Plywood
  • Purchased a Rotary Sander...and OMG...best damn tool ever - THANKS for the tip vwalbridge
  • Learned how to use a Rotor and a "Flush Bit"....yep...I made some mistakes
  • Learned the true power of Wood glue, haven't used a screw yet.
  • Taught my oldest daughter how to use a tablesaw - she helped with some of the pieces
  • Had my youngest daughter help me decide what to do with the over theme of the cab
  • Had the wife help me one weekend

Seriously, the experience so far has been great. I am already thinking about my next one and what I could have done better. (Next one will be a bar top for sure)

Now I need to choose some Joysticks out. I bought this one, from Paradise Arcade - it's O.K.....Does anyone have a Joystick recommendation? I would like an LED lit ball top - bubbles inside a plus.

Next up, finishing the sides....THEN SAND, THEN PAINT!  :cheers:
Pauly

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2015, 11:34:56 pm »
Nice job on the build so far.

For joysticks, everyone's got their favorite, but for maximum flexibility, you just can't beat Ultimarc u360's. THey're a little more $$, but being digital, they can do anything.

Be sure to get the stiff springs and longer shafts though.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2015, 11:45:13 pm »
JLW jstik with Thorsten Ludwigs hollow shafts and led balltops....best setup you can get for a lit ball top....

I didnt care for the PA version either.

No screws?  Might want to reconsider for reinforcement, once the weight starts to add up.

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2015, 12:25:43 am »
JLW jstik with Thorsten Ludwigs hollow shafts and led balltops....best setup you can get for a lit ball top....

I didnt care for the PA version either.

No screws?  Might want to reconsider for reinforcement, once the weight starts to add up.

Well, I should say that I do have brackets screwed in the corners. So I lied a little, I just wasn't thinking of those during my post and I agree..that MDF is heavy as crap.

Alright JStik...I am glad to hear that! Going to purchase tomorrow. Where can I see Thorsten Ludwigs stuff? Thanks!
Pauly

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2015, 12:39:50 am »
Looking good Pauly. Starting to come together.  :cheers: Looks like you might have abandoned the double angled marquee?
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2015, 12:51:09 am »
Send this guy and email and ask him if he is still making the hollow shaft kits for JLW jstiks.

If so, you'll be looking at around 35.00 for a set of shafts and 22.00+ for each stick.

Also, if you go led lit balltops get the anti twist thingy from paradise arcade, it keeps the wires from twisting up in the jstik.

Thorsten Ludwig [thludwig@web.de]

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2015, 12:44:26 pm »
Looking good Pauly. Starting to come together.  :cheers: Looks like you might have abandoned the double angled marquee?

Not yet! If you look at the top I haven't created the top of bottom portions of the marquee. I am experimenting, will keep you posted!

Quote from: rablack97
Send this guy and email and ask him if he is still making the hollow shaft kits for JLW jstiks.

If so, you'll be looking at around 35.00 for a set of shafts and 22.00+ for each stick.

Also, if you go led lit balltops get the anti twist thingy from paradise arcade, it keeps the wires from twisting up in the jstik.

Email sent and Jstik's ordered. Thanks so much for your help. I was leaning towards the Jstiks originally, I just needed someone to push me.
Pauly

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2015, 01:38:55 pm »
Did you UM or TM, you need to order the TM, for bat tops not ball tops.

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2015, 08:34:56 pm »
TM all the way!
Pauly

rablack97

• Offline Offline

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2015, 11:09:13 pm »
WOW, they look amazing. Stupid question, but how can I tell if the shaft is long enough for 3/4" MDF fitting. Are they standard size?
Pauly

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2015, 11:30:16 pm »
Your gonna have to top mount these man, better get good with your router.

Tutorial HERE

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,90467.0.html

I did he same on my build, look at my black's magic build, you'll see me top mount the JLW's, these look like JLF's, which will apply to the tutorial above.

Pauly

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2015, 12:46:32 pm »
Artwork and Theme Update:

So I have been building this a little backwards. When I started I had no idea what theme I wanted to do for the machine, but I have finally had an agreement with the family and we landed on my favorite book "READY PLAYER ONE". It just fit. Anyways, hope you guys like it.

Here was a draft to show my wife how it would all go together (for expense approval) - please note, this has old artwork applied to it, but same concept.

Tried ordering the buttons and joysticks, but waiting on Paradise Arcade to open shop again.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:14:15 pm by Pauly »
Pauly

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 10:42:30 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2015, 06:25:53 pm »
Heyya Pauly, I'm not seeing the pics on this last post. You sure you have the images shared properly? Really curious about this design after having just finished both RPO and Armada :)

Artwork and Theme Update:

So I have been building this a little backwards. When I started I had no idea what theme I wanted to do for the machine, but I have finally had an agreement with the family and we landed on my favorite book "READY PLAYER ONE". It just fit. Anyways, hope you guys like it.

Here was a draft to show my wife how it would all go together (for expense approval) - please note, this has old artwork applied to it, but same concept.

Tried ordering the buttons and joysticks, but waiting on Paradise Arcade to open shop again.

Pauly

• Offline Offline
Re: READY PLAYER ONE: Arcade Cabinet Build (First Build)
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2015, 11:12:02 pm »
Fixed! Sorry about that Namco.
Pauly