Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hyperspin  (Read 7195 times)

Neogojira

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2015, 08:17:39 pm
  • Build projects with my son
Hyperspin
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:41:19 pm »
Hey guys,
What is the best place to get art and videos for hyperspin? I have never used it before and after watching videos I love the look and interface. But I been told it can take week to years to set up and link every thing. I have a new 2TB HDD coming in the mail from newegg tomorrow and want to get started.

lamprey

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
Re: Hyperspin
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 07:50:52 pm »
There are a bunch of places you can get artwork for HyperSpin:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:10:09 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 12:03:46 am »
If it's taking someone weeks or years to setup Hyperspin, they're doing it wrong. Way wrong.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:31:27 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 12:33:43 am »
It took me an hour or so to figure out all the tools needed. Once I figured out how to use EmuMovies and a few renaming tools I was golden that same day.

Weeks.....years..... I hope not. Just ask some questions here and you should be up and running in no time.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 02:00:44 am »
youtube has almost all the vids. there are plenty of ways download from youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MameVideoSnaps

Neogojira

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2015, 08:17:39 pm
  • Build projects with my son
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 03:40:10 am »
Once the HDD gets her I'm going to start. Thanks for the help. I really like this Forum. People write back here faster then any other I been too

danielmarokoi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2015, 05:58:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 09:41:56 am »
Only torrent.  ;)

whatever you decided don't buy from the hyperspin site :badmood:  the want money even if you want just for some info ... ???

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 01:21:34 pm »
Only torrent.  ;)

whatever you decided don't buy from the hyperspin site :badmood:  the want money even if you want just for some info ... ???
I have no problem paying people for the content they made. They did it on their time. Yes, I know they don't technically own the content, but they put it together. That in itself is time consuming. Stop being cheap.

bulbousbeard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2015, 11:58:25 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 09:43:13 pm »
I have no problem paying people for the content they made. They did it on their time. Yes, I know they don't technically own the content, but they put it together. That in itself is time consuming. Stop being cheap.

I have a few thoughts on this. The first thing that comes to mind is that most Hyperspin videos are garbage anyway. They're low res 30fps garbage. I've been pumping out 60fps videos at a higher resolution and giving them away for nothing. Hmmm.

Selling other people's copyrighted content is not only immoral but illegal. Let's face it: basically every Hyperspin theme is just butchered up official art that the "creators" don't own. It's like the scum that tries to sell movie posters for properties they don't own.

Also, there is something deeply disturbing about giving money to some people who threw together crap in Photoshop or Flash when MAME itself is given away for nothing.

If nothing else, consider this: you have X amount of money to "give back" or donate to this hobby. Should it go to the MAME dumping union, who will actually use it for something valuable, or should it go to some morally questionable turd splats?

"I have no problem paying people for the content they made."

You should have no problem with giving money to the MAME dumping union so rare games can continue to be purchased, dumped, and preserved for the entire planet, then.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:45:34 pm by bulbousbeard »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 09:52:55 pm »
I have no problem donating to the Dumping Union. Quit trying to start ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, troll.

bulbousbeard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 11:28:19 pm »
Given that most people seem to be so strapped for cash that they're dumpster diving for monitors, I think what little extra funds are available should be going to pretty much any place on the planet not-Hyperspin.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 11:43:18 pm »
Troll, troll, troll you post,  gently down my screen...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:52:38 pm by yotsuya »

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:31:27 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 02:03:37 am »
Trollin, trollin, trollin, trollin, trolling is all I've seen.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 07:49:04 am »
Let's face it: basically every Hyperspin theme is just butchered up official art that the "creators" don't own.
Like your bezels?  hahahahah sorry couldnt resist. /counter-trolling

I set up hyperspin easy enough, I just didnt like it. It was too flashy and noisy, and not sure if it was just me but it would yell "WELCOME TO THE ADVENTURE!" about once every 6 seconds. As for the 30 fps videos.My main gripe with the videos is you can tell they are playing the racing games with a Dpad but even that gets chalked up to "minor nuisance"

I grabbed a couple videos BB did, and they are pretty good.

I got the bulk of my videos from emumovies (lifetime subscription) and they serve their purpose. The videos run in a small box in the corner of my front end so they arent the main focal point.

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

bulbousbeard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 09:12:10 am »
Like your bezels?  hahahahah sorry couldnt resist. /counter-trolling

No, not like my bezels. My bezels are completely free. I make things because I love games--not because I'm trying to sell something.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 09:22:34 am »
not the selling part, this part:
butchered up official art that the "creators" don't own.

My post was 1 second of joking/trolling, big chunk of discussion, compliment your videos, show why the emumovies videos are serviceable, and you reply to the troll part.  :cheers:

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 10:26:11 am »
Hey guys,
What is the best place to get art and videos for hyperspin? I have never used it before and after watching videos I love the look and interface.

Creating your own is an option as well, Hyperspin themes aren't difficult, the theming tool is in the basic download. You can make your setup as graphically simple or complex as you like, you don't have to use the individual mame per game themes if you don't like them, you can turn the attract audio on/off etc. Below is a pared down universal theme as an example.

Any complaints about garish flash themes, annoying audio etc. in HS is moot as you can completely customize them to your liking.  :cheers:
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 10:54:45 am »
Any complaints about garish flash themes, annoying audio etc. in HS is moot as you can completely customize them to your liking.  :cheers:

Exactly! You don't have to use any of the themes. Or audio.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 10:59:33 am »

I had a pool of about 50 random sounds to play when a menu item was selected, it for some reason kept picking that one. I even swapped the names of it and something else and it still seemed to play it more than everything else, but Hyperspin ruined that audio clip for me :)

Almost every front end can be customized to your liking, Im a die hard MaLa guy but Ive been eyeballing attract mode since MaLa dev ended. The one really great thing about hyperspin is it can launch ANYTHING without much trouble.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 11:01:39 am »

I had a pool of about 50 random sounds to play when a menu item was selected, it for some reason kept picking that one. I even swapped the names of it and something else and it still seemed to play it more than everything else, but Hyperspin ruined that audio clip for me :)

Almost every front end can be customized to your liking, Im a die hard MaLa guy but Ive been eyeballing attract mode since MaLa dev ended. The one really great thing about hyperspin is it can launch ANYTHING without much trouble.

I like the spinning wheel of marquees. To me, it looks polished. My guests often enjoy browsing the wheel looking for games they recognized and loved playing back in the day.

Everything else is just an option I could go either way on. It's certainly not the evil some would make it out to be.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 12:00:43 pm »
The evil of hyperspin is that it brings out ones desire to feature creep. It takes a tempered individual.....

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 12:09:07 pm »
The evil of hyperspin is that it brings out ones desire to feature creep. It takes a tempered individual.....

You could say that about a lot of Front Ends, though.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 12:10:06 pm »
Actually, you could say that about a lot of BYOACers, as well....  >:D

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 12:27:06 pm »

This can be true, with it's ability to handle multiple emulators/Steam games as well as assets like manuals and screenshots for HyperPause people tend to pack a lot into every install. This is the good and bad of HS. It adds a level of complexity for someone who just wants to launch a %$#@*^! mame game but can also be invaluable for someone who wants to delve deep into multiple emulators/Steam games and have them all launch from the same UI in a nice clean interface.

I like the spinning wheel of marquees. To me, it looks polished. My guests often enjoy browsing the wheel looking for games they recognized and loved playing back in the day.

Everything else is just an option I could go either way on. It's certainly not the evil some would make it out to be.

I agree, I find most negative HS posts are based on misinformation by someone who doesn't fully understand it's features or how to use it. I also like the wheel aesthetic and what I don't like I just change. Not all of the options are vanilla compared to other FE's. The RocketLauncher app (which I prefer to HyperLaunch) offers some great out of the box scripts for getting up and running quick with a multitude of emulators once you learn some of the basics. HyperPause is interesting in a non-cab environement for displaying manuals, videos, marquees etc.

There are frustrations for sure, no frontend is perfect, but in the end the good far outweighs any bad for me.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:38:51 am by 8BitMonk »
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 01:12:24 pm »
That is exactly why I had to push away from the table so to speak after getting Hyperspin configured. I don't have that kind of self control apparently. So far Attract Mode is a better fit for me.

That's the cool thing about front ends. There is something out there for everybody.

bulbousbeard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 09:07:06 pm »
We know that some combination of Hyperspin and Hyperlaunch interferes with GroovyMAME's behavior on a large portion of configurations. That alone is enough to scare away anyone concerned about quality, IMO. One of the reasons I dumped Hyperspin was that you can measure its impact on MAME's behavior. Try launching a game in MAME through Hyperspin with verbose logging on. On every setup I tried, I got sound buffer overflows and underflows launching through Hyperspin; no overflows or underflows launching it from MALA or the command line.

At the end of the day, it's about the games, not the frontend. Screw any frontend that's going to mess with my programs' behavior.

two40

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2020, 01:33:38 am
  • What does this button do?
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 11:25:12 pm »
My little brother asked me about Hyperspin and I advised him to go with Attract Mode as it's less in-your-face. He looked at me like I missed the point and said, 'but isn't that what arcades are all about'. He made a good point and so we went with Hyperspin.  :cheers:

bulbousbeard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 12:10:23 am »
My little brother asked me about Hyperspin and I advised him to go with Attract Mode as it's less in-your-face. He looked at me like I missed the point and said, 'but isn't that what arcades are all about'. He made a good point and so we went with Hyperspin.  :cheers:

Arcades aren't about playing the games as well as possible?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:44:25 am by saint »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 12:19:55 am »
We know that some combination of Hyperspin and Hyperlaunch interferes with GroovyMAME's behavior on a large portion of configurations.

Good thing I don't run GroovyMAME....

/start the "don't you care about games" cycle...

two40

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 12:20:35 am »

Of course they are but that's beside the point of this discussion.

A big part of any FE is to show off your collection. For some that is done with Hyperspin while others prefer MaLa or Attract Mode or EmulationStation. You can't dictate what people like and want to use just the same as you can't force people to only play Metal Slug if they're a shmup gamer...

I find it childish to see nearly all Hyperspin threads, no matter what the original question was, spiral into this very boring discussion.   :blah:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 12:22:31 am »

I like your brother's way of thinking...  :cheers:

And it's generally one person here who starts that downward spiral...

two40

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 12:24:39 am »

Me too. His comment made me realise that it's OK to be a kid so I'm using HyprSpin as well now.  :lol

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 12:29:24 am »

Me too. His comment made me realise that it's OK to be a kid so I'm using HyprSpin as well now.  :lol

Amen, brother. It's about having fun, not worrying about ---smurfing--- refresh rates.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 12:40:36 am »
Making something cool and having fun playing it. That's what this hobby is about.  :cheers:

Some people are never gonna get it.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:38:40 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 07:43:22 am »

No. That's not what this hobby is about. That may be what it's about for you, but this hobby is about what makes this enjoyable for each person.

Some people like building awesome cabinets. Some just want a box to hold the games.

Some people like pixel-perfect CRT quality displays. Some people just want PacMan to wokka wokka across the screen on an easy to find cheap LCD.

Some people want the perfect assortment of every control imaginable. Some people just want a joystick and a couple of buttons.

None of the above is wrong. People take enjoyment in what they enjoy.

The only thing that burns my biscuits is when someone tries to self-righteously tell another person that their opinion on what makes it enjoyable for them is wrong. By definition, the person trying to tell the other person so is suffering from cranial-rectal inversion.

Bulbous, you're entitled to your opinions and passions and to discuss them ad-naseum. However, I'm asking you nicely to moderate your tone.

Thanks!

--- Not-yet-cranky-saint
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 07:43:46 am »
Making something cool and having fun playing it. That's what this hobby is about.  :cheers:

Vigo gets it.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 08:47:01 am »
No. That's not what this hobby is about. That may be what it's about for you, but this hobby is about what makes this enjoyable for each person.

Some people like building awesome cabinets. Some just want a box to hold the games.

Some people like pixel-perfect CRT quality displays. Some people just want PacMan to wokka wokka across the screen on an easy to find cheap LCD.

Some people want the perfect assortment of every control imaginable. Some people just want a joystick and a couple of buttons.

None of the above is wrong. People take enjoyment in what they enjoy.

The only thing that burns my biscuits is when someone tries to self-righteously tell another person that their opinion on what makes it enjoyable for them is wrong. By definition, the person trying to tell the other person so is suffering from cranial-rectal inversion.

AMEN! This Saint character gets it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 09:00:22 am »

Vigo gets it.

Don't be a stranger, brother!  :applaud:

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 09:36:08 am »
Life is busy :) Got a new toy though!

--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 09:53:51 am »

Awesome!
Those furniture dollys with the extra wheels in the back are great.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2015, 10:00:29 am »

Awesome!
Those furniture dollys with the extra wheels in the back are great.

For sure. It's my buddy's work's dolly but we were able to use it for this trip. I want one, I just don't want to pay for or store one :)
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2015, 10:25:10 am »
Oh, and what a toy that is!!!

Here's to you participating in the Summer of Chuff 2015!  :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2015, 11:14:40 am »

Are you going to MAME it?   >:D

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2015, 11:27:09 am »
Saint! The one and only!  :applaud:

Nice score with the SW cab!  :drool

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2015, 12:12:10 pm »

Heh, bite your tongue. But I *am* considering putting a StarWars/ESB multi kit in it.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2015, 12:19:43 pm »

Heh, bite your tongue. But I *am* considering putting a StarWars/ESB multi kit in it.

That's my plan if I every come across one.  Nice score!

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2015, 12:54:45 pm »
Amen to this hobby being about whatever makes it enjoyable for each person.  :cheers:

Nice score on the cab! That's an interesting wharehouse, a sombrero, fiberglass super heroes, pizza parlor signage, a flamingo, Ronald McDonald... what's going on in this place?  :lol

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2015, 12:57:50 pm »
Amen to this hobby being about whatever makes it enjoyable for each person.  :cheers:

Nice score on the cab! That's an interesting wharehouse, a sombrero, fiberglass super heroes, pizza parlor signage, a flamingo, Ronald McDonald... what's going on in this place?  :lol

Ain't no party like a Saint party...

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 01:01:51 pm »
Saint parted ways with his 6 foot tall fiberglass batman to get a SW cab. A bittersweet trade.  :burgerking:

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 01:26:12 pm »
Heh. I am not able to provide too many details about the warehouse but I was like a kid in a candy store. Lots of cool things! I have asked the guy who works there if I'm allowed to post any pictures.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2015, 03:01:47 pm »
Heh. I am not able to provide too many details about the warehouse but I was like a kid in a candy store. Lots of cool things! I have asked the guy who works there if I'm allowed to post any pictures.

I knew Area 51 had arcades! Aliens gave us Space Invaders!? Mind. Blown.