Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pixel Troll Arcade v2, getting classy [COMPLETED]  (Read 2408 times)

Dafu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2015, 10:06:43 pm
Pixel Troll Arcade v2, getting classy [COMPLETED]
« on: January 11, 2015, 11:15:27 am »
Hi all!

I posted a few years ago with my first arcade machine, you can find that post here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=99167.0

It was a great project, I loved making it. In the end however I founded too bulky, and too much of an eyesore to fit in our rec room. So I had another go at it, and came up with the machine in the attached image. See making of photos and details here:
http://imgur.com/a/lSusJ
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:40:19 am by Dafu »

stuckpixel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2016, 02:59:23 pm
Re: Pixel Troll Arcade v2, getting classy [COMPLETED]
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:30:04 am »
Cool! I was looking at the profile in your first pics and I was like 'how is this thing going to stay upright'.

Have you toyed around with the idea of changing out the ball tops on the cab? I think switching to black if nothing else would be a good move (the red really sticks out given that you aren't using it elsewhere) It'd be really cool if you could get matching woodgrain balltops IMO.

It looks like it's complete now -- but did you give any thought to going with some simple black t-molding on the cab?

I dig the wood-burned marquee.

What are the specs of the box running inside, is it pretty much a guts transplant from your original arcade, or have you updated things?

Dafu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2015, 10:06:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:37:44 am »
Have you toyed around with the idea of changing out the ball tops on the cab?
Actually I like the contrast the red provides!

any thought to going with some simple black t-molding on the cab?
For this wood design I think t-molding is not a good fit. I put in a lot of elbow grease into those edges, there's maybe 10 layers of sandable filler finish on them, smooth as glass.

What are the specs of the box running inside
I didn't gut the old machine, its still around. I plan to sell it, or failing that, give it to a friend. This new machine is my old desktop pc, Core2Duo, 4 gigs, win7, 256 SSD.

Thanks!

elbow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2016, 11:38:01 am
  • live long and prosper!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 12:56:46 pm »
Dear Dafu, this is a fantastic idea & execution, I love the combo of the retro feel & the practicality of taking up less floorspace & ability to wall mount!  :cheers:

Is there any chance you'd be willing to share sketchup plans for this, please?  ;D

Thanks!!

taylormadelv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 04:27:59 pm »
That looks a nice!  :cheers: