Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: List of SD card hack, carts, alternative replacements to CD drive.  (Read 202213 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: List of SD card hack, carts, alternative replacements to CD drive.
« Reply #760 on: March 17, 2021, 06:23:37 pm »
Neo Geo Pocket Color IPS Backlight screen installed, and looks great!  Makes this awesome handheld so much more enjoyable to play on.

It's a drop-in solution, but you can opt for 4 wires to be soldered in to access the built-in OSD for additional options:

Image positioning is awesome. You don't have to worry about perfectly lining up the screen installation.

Pixel Effect is the grid pattern, similar to the way the GBA looks.
Looks good either on or off.

The mod itself took less than 1 hour, and is a huge upgrade to the NGPC.

The kit I used can be bought from aliexpress, or from ebay here: https://ebay.us/sJHR6b
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 06:36:31 pm by opt2not »

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 04:36:20 pm
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #761 on: March 17, 2021, 06:45:03 pm »
Looks nice,

If I had more time I would order.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #762 on: March 20, 2021, 06:43:01 am »
Looks great Opt!

I put a new screen in mine a while back but its the slightly smaller one.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:57:40 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #763 on: March 20, 2021, 09:39:48 am »
Nice upgrade, I wish my Gameboy screen had pixel positioning... would have made alignment much easier than it was.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #764 on: March 22, 2021, 02:23:39 pm »
Not a ODE but may be of interest to some:

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #765 on: March 22, 2021, 03:21:13 pm »

That's pretty cool. Would've done this over doing the mod chip a few years back.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #766 on: March 22, 2021, 05:19:49 pm »
It still needs work imho.   Usually with these exploits eventually a program is written to permanently install the soft mod and you just have to go into the save manager of the options screen or something to run it.  That might not even be possible on the ps1, but I'm just saying....

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #767 on: March 22, 2021, 07:54:30 pm »
UGG this is makes me think about my PSIL. I got a completely installed after the chemo treatments whenever actually put any games on there we’re got it unlocked through their ironic copper protection. After I’m done moving I’ll sit down and get in contact with him about getting everything setup.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #768 on: March 30, 2021, 10:38:01 pm »
found my dreamcast and two controllers along with power and video cables.
guess it's time to get me the gdemu i've heard people talking about since my gd rom is shot.

is it really as simple as plugging it in and putting the SDcard in it?
I remember a few yrs back there was a bios chip that needed changing and a 40 pin ide cable you hade to solder on....
I see ebay has them for $50ish.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #769 on: March 31, 2021, 02:05:26 am »
Yup really that easy.
The ones on ebay are chinese clones though.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #770 on: March 31, 2021, 08:00:12 am »

I just got a laptop SSD with usb adaptor working with my playstation classic.
it's hanging off the cable in the back right now but i plan to move it inside the case.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #771 on: March 31, 2021, 08:04:23 am »
Yup really that easy.
The ones on ebay are chinese clones though.

if that's the case, might as well order from allie express for $25 and just wait a few weeks for it to arrive.
why pay someone to import a clone for me when I can do it myself?

I should probably open up my dreamcast though to make sure I have the right version mainboard first as i see i need Va1 board.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:06:27 am by nitrogen_widget »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #772 on: March 31, 2021, 08:06:35 am »
Yup.
I mean if you dont mind the price/wait ide say order a original.
1) support the dev but 2) you will be able to actually update it etc.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #773 on: March 31, 2021, 08:16:42 am »
Love AliExpress. I had a PS mini that disappeared at work when I was on leave for cancer, may pick one up another one for hacking.

I was given 2 more Wii consoles. I'm thinking of hacking one with just fitness and dancing games. I want to give it to one of the adaptive Physical Education teachers at my school who is working with children on the autism spectrum. I used to do a big chunk of the dance unit with a Wii station, when working with children on the spectrum.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #774 on: March 31, 2021, 08:21:03 am »
guess it's time to get me the gdemu i've heard people talking about since my gd rom is shot.

I remember a few yrs back there was a bios chip that needed changing and a 40 pin ide cable you hade to solder on....

I have done two Dreamcast mods. It is one of the simplest mods I have ever done. The only thing is, if you have an  original power supply, you should do a mud to it. One of the two I did had a dead power supply, so I just replace that component. That was extremely easy as well.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:39:07 am by Locke141 »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #775 on: March 31, 2021, 04:07:25 pm »

I have done two Dreamcast mods. It is one of the simplest mods I have ever done. The only thing is, if you have an  original power supply, you should do a mud to it. One of the two I did had a dead power supply, so I just replace that component. That was extremely easy as well.

A mud?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #776 on: March 31, 2021, 04:34:08 pm »
Yup.

The gdemu.WordPress site has no order form for it.
Is that the dev?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #777 on: March 31, 2021, 05:26:59 pm »
Yup.

Yeah, you have to sign up to the notifications and wait until he is doing a run of them.
Can be a bit of a PITA to be honest so I understand why people buy the clones as he really does not do himself any favours with his business model.

But OG is still the best :)

The gdemu.WordPress site has no order form for it.
Is that the dev?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #778 on: April 01, 2021, 03:35:22 pm »
Here's the thing about clones..... gamers seem to think that somehow retro gaming as a business should magically work differently from all other businesses and it doesn't.   If you make a product, get too greedy and mark up the price too high a knockoff will appear in the market and take all of your business.  Likewise if you, for some strange reason, decide to do limited production runs of a product a knockoff will appear in the market  and take all of your business.  This is just how the marketplace works.   On the flipside if you make a product that is reasonably priced and plentiful, the competition won't be able to touch you and you'll make a good profit.   

Long story short don't pity the creators due to all the clones popping up as they put themselves in this position.  I mean maybe it's just me but when I go to the grocery store I often by the "store brand" if I find that it tastes like the original and don't worry about the original company losing money so why would I act any different when purchasing retro gaming products?   I mean if you are one of those snobs that are too good for "great value" fries instead of Orida even though the great value are cheaper and taste better you do you, but as for me I buy whatever is cheapest and of an acceptable quality.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #779 on: April 01, 2021, 04:07:36 pm »
Here's the thing about clones..... gamers seem to think that somehow retro gaming as a business should magically work differently from all other businesses and it doesn't.   If you make a product, get too greedy and mark up the price too high a knockoff will appear in the market and take all of your business.  Likewise if you, for some strange reason, decide to do limited production runs of a product a knockoff will appear in the market  and take all of your business.  This is just how the marketplace works.   On the flipside if you make a product that is reasonably priced and plentiful, the competition won't be able to touch you and you'll make a good profit.   

Long story short don't pity the creators due to all the clones popping up as they put themselves in this position.  I mean maybe it's just me but when I go to the grocery store I often by the "store brand" if I find that it tastes like the original and don't worry about the original company losing money so why would I act any different when purchasing retro gaming products?   I mean if you are one of those snobs that are too good for "great value" fries instead of Orida even though the great value are cheaper and taste better you do you, but as for me I buy whatever is cheapest and of an acceptable quality.
Although I partly agree with you, Comparing a ODE to beans is not really plausible.

The dev without a shadow of a doubt screwed himself with the limited runs, Everyone told him it would be cloned and he chose to carry on regardless so I 100% agree on that front.

But the clones can not be upgraded with new firmware releases etc like the original so they are not the same or just as good in that respect.

The price point for it is reasonable but the wait is a PITA.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #780 on: April 01, 2021, 04:19:02 pm »
This isn't really true, no offense.   A lot of the clones can be upgraded, they just advertise them that they can't as these Chinese companies don't offer tech support.  Myself I wouldn't risk it, but there are reports online of people upgrading them.   Ignoring that though what exactly would you need upgraded firmware for?   Most of these flash carts run 100% of the games within the first revision or two so imho, so while the option to upgrade firmware would be nice, it isn't even close to being an essential feature.  So yeah, they are just as good.

I mean the tg16 card I just bought was only 30 bucks.   I saved SEVENTY DOLLARS buying a clone.   It's based on an older revision of the board but still runs 100% of the games so while firmware upgrades would be nice can you, with a straight face, say they are worth $70?  Now if the cards were priced reasonably, at like 45-50 I probably would buy the original, but the creator is greedy, so he doesn't get my money.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #781 on: April 01, 2021, 04:26:23 pm »
Yeah, I agree with you, Howard, and not negating Titch's sentiment about wanting to support the dev. I try to do that, but don't feel guilty if practicality sends me somewhere else. It's to the point with some of these products that I wish they would get ripped off. Some of those HDMI mods are insanely priced. I understand the overhead cost starting high, but when you have sold thousands of units, we should stop paying the massive markups for their "development time".

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #782 on: April 01, 2021, 04:45:37 pm »
This isn't really true, no offense.   A lot of the clones can be upgraded, they just advertise them that they can't as these Chinese companies don't offer tech support.  Myself I wouldn't risk it, but there are reports online of people upgrading them.   Ignoring that though what exactly would you need upgraded firmware for?   Most of these flash carts run 100% of the games within the first revision or two so imho, so while the option to upgrade firmware would be nice, it isn't even close to being an essential feature.  So yeah, they are just as good.

I mean the tg16 card I just bought was only 30 bucks.   I saved SEVENTY DOLLARS buying a clone.   It's based on an older revision of the board but still runs 100% of the games so while firmware upgrades would be nice can you, with a straight face, say they are worth $70?  Now if the cards were priced reasonably, at like 45-50 I probably would buy the original, but the creator is greedy, so he doesn't get my money.

Well from what I have read if you update them with the latest FW it will brick them so would be a waste of your money.
I dont have one and have not tried it so cant comment but much like you I would not risk it.

But in terms of the GDemu specifically there have been fixes for bugs and games since the clones were made, I believe they still have pretty good compatibility (not exaclty sure what but I would say over 95%) But the firmware is still being worked on.

Like I said at the start, I dont begrudge anyone buying a clone they are much much easier to get and the dev only has himself to blame for that.

But I would not say its fair to say he is greedy.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #783 on: April 01, 2021, 06:07:13 pm »
From what I researched, the latest clone has a matching chip type, so in theory is is fully updatable. I haven't found any case of anyone actually reporting they did it successfully, so the jury is still out. For those looking this should be the 5.15b version and the chip should say "atsam3u2e" A clone with "atsam3u4e" will likely brick if you attempt to update.

I don't know if the clones currently have updated firmware, but It sounds like there are only 2-3 games that were not 100% compatible with the older firmware. Resident Evil Code Veronica, Skies of Arcadia, and Maybe D2. Given I have RE Veronica X and Skies of Arcadia Legends on my Gamecube, (Both superior ports), I am probably going to get a clone GDemu and calling it a day. A potentially finicky D2 doesn't quite seem worth sweating over firmware.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #784 on: April 01, 2021, 08:36:00 pm »
If i saw correctly the GDEMU from the dev is $130 euro's or $150 U.S.
I can get a clone with the cover, working reset button built in and sd card extension cable for $50.

i'm going that route.

It doesn't make sense to pay 3x as much.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #785 on: April 02, 2021, 02:48:06 am »
Also lots of times these incompatibility issues the older revisions have get fixed via rom manipulation by the community, because, well nobody wants to pay the outrageous prices on some of this stuff.   The best example I can think of is the 64DD games on the everdrive 64.    The clones just need the roms ran through a converter and they run fine.   Not that you'd want to run any of them mind you, they are mostly terrible, but just an example.   I know my super everdrive clone came with some sa-1 roms that run fine even though sa-1 games aren't supposed to run.   I'm not sure what those folks in China did to them but yeah, they run.   

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #786 on: April 03, 2021, 08:03:48 pm »

Long story short don't pity the creators due to all the clones popping up as they put themselves in this position.  I mean maybe it's just me but when.....

Fully agree.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #787 on: April 03, 2021, 09:32:56 pm »
^ seconded

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #788 on: April 04, 2021, 04:51:15 am »
From what I researched, the latest clone has a matching chip type, so in theory is is fully updatable. I haven't found any case of anyone actually reporting they did it successfully, so the jury is still out. For those looking this should be the 5.15b version and the chip should say "atsam3u2e" A clone with "atsam3u4e" will likely brick if you attempt to update.

I don't know if the clones currently have updated firmware, but It sounds like there are only 2-3 games that were not 100% compatible with the older firmware. Resident Evil Code Veronica, Skies of Arcadia, and Maybe D2. Given I have RE Veronica X and Skies of Arcadia Legends on my Gamecube, (Both superior ports), I am probably going to get a clone GDemu and calling it a day. A potentially finicky D2 doesn't quite seem worth sweating over firmware.
IIRC its not just about the chip, I think (could be wrong mind) I remember reading something somewhere that the Dev had put something in the firmware that would brick clones if used.

I aint that technically minded so dunno.

But yeah like I said the incompatibility list is quite short, RE CVX would be a major one for me mind.

I am wondering how long it will be until the Chinese clone has Saturn ODEs for the same reason.

Although that being said theres Mode and Satiator now to so perhaps they wont bother.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #789 on: April 04, 2021, 11:55:51 am »
I’ve never been so convinced that these clones are all clones, to be honest.  Lots of companies sell the same stuff under a variety of brands at different price levels.

:dunno

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #790 on: April 05, 2021, 10:27:11 pm »
Although that being said theres Mode and Satiator now to so perhaps they wont bother.

Just saw this topic and it interested me so I'm jumping in. ;-)

Coincidentally, I just bought a MODE by TerraOnion for my Dreamcast about a month ago.  I also bought the 3D printed "cover" from Laser Bear Industries to make it look more "Stock" and to add the SD extender port.  It was a super easy install.  Literally plug and play with no soldering involved.  I just popped out the CD drive, put it to the side for safekeeping, then popped the MODE into the CD port.  I installed the 3D printed cover to keep everything in place.  And put the cover back on.

I bought it mainly so I could play the Atomiswave ports of Dolphin Blue and Metal Slug 6.  Those Atomiswave ports don't fit on a Standard CD. (Metal Slug 6 has a version that does fit but it doesn't work right after the first level).

I only play a handful of other Dreamcast games, which I own the originals of.  So having them on an SD card instead is a bonus.  I didn't feel the need to install an SSD since I didn't have many games; it works fine off of the SD card.

Haven't tried it in a PS1 or Saturn since I don't own one of those.  But I doubt I'd remove it from my Dreamcast anyway.

https://terraonion.com/en/producto/terraonion-mode/

Edit: I will post pics of it when I get home for those interested to see it.

Del

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 10:29:04 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #791 on: April 06, 2021, 12:58:53 am »
I avoid all terror-onion products ever since the first rev of the SSDS3 I bought. It was released with such jank audio and video quality that it took a couple hobbyist engineers to build add-on boards to bypass their failed circuits. Worst part about it was TO’s reaction to all the complaints. Claiming there was nothing wrong, they tested it on their setups and the “Quality is immeasurable” (actual quote) even after presented with oscilloscope readings.
They then made an update to rev 2 with the fixes but didn’t refund or replace any of the first rev costumers. The denial and arrogance of the owner of TO and their shills were what put me off from anything they create.

Which is fine. The x-station is killing the mode. The Fenrir is killing the mode. The gdemu’s and their clones are killing the mode.
There are lots of options out there that are cheaper and more reliable than their products. They can go eff themselves.

/rant

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #792 on: April 06, 2021, 02:40:16 am »
Lol. Good to know.!Too bad I didn't hear about that sooner though. I would have probably passed.

That said, I've already purchased it and it works fine so far...

Del

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #793 on: April 06, 2021, 02:47:55 am »
I have a Neo SD which so far has been good for me.
But I have seen much negativity both from TO and aimed at them in recent times so I understand why ppl wont buy from them.

The Xstation is awesome btw....

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #794 on: April 06, 2021, 07:33:39 am »
I get the "your order is arriving soon" message from allie express yesterday.
which is weird cause stuff takes longer normally just to ship.
i check, it's in Jamaica.
NY!
I should have the GDEMU by the weekend.

On a side note i have someone with a 25" Toshiba CRT with S-video and component in who wants it gone.
guess nobody on facebook owns a hand truck because she's been trying to get rid of it for a few weeks.

every single "it's in the garage come get it" CRT TV is gone by the time i see the posting on marketplace.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #795 on: April 06, 2021, 03:22:06 pm »
Sweet! I regret getting rid of my massive CRT when I did. I didn't have the room, but I should have just risked leaving it in a shed. I use a commodore 1702 monitor, which is incredible, but small.

Just got an eBay Dreamcast in the mail today. My current DC is a 2nd gen, so I needed an earlier model to do the GDemu. I was a little miffed there was no padding in the box, so it shipped rough, but I am going to mod out the drive, and everything survived, so I am just grumbling.

Anyway, I plan on using an HDMI cable that uses the 480p signal, so I am wondering, does the GDemu reliably patch games that are not compatible with 480p signal?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #796 on: April 06, 2021, 04:11:27 pm »
Latest Fenrir firmware claims it is backing up and rewriting save file data.

:applaud:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #797 on: April 06, 2021, 05:28:28 pm »
Sweet! I regret getting rid of my massive CRT when I did. I didn't have the room, but I should have just risked leaving it in a shed. I use a commodore 1702 monitor, which is incredible, but small.

Just got an eBay Dreamcast in the mail today. My current DC is a 2nd gen, so I needed an earlier model to do the GDemu. I was a little miffed there was no padding in the box, so it shipped rough, but I am going to mod out the drive, and everything survived, so I am just grumbling.

Anyway, I plan on using an HDMI cable that uses the 480p signal, so I am wondering, does the GDemu reliably patch games that are not compatible with 480p signal?

I have a 32" CRT that sometimes turns on but doesn't stay on for more than an hour or so in a closet in an upstairs bedroom.
10 yrs ago i carried it up there on my own now I need help just getting it off the floor and to a spot i can tear the cover off and have a look see at the powersupply.
i'm holding onto that one.

I don't think the GDemu does anything but read the rom so those games still wont work.
but from what i've read it's not that many with issues at 480p.
considering i've never seen the dreamcast on a CRT other than a CRT projection TV i think i'll be fine with composite.
though if I can get a cheap svideo cable i'll move up to that.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #798 on: April 06, 2021, 07:57:26 pm »
Thanks, It doesn't look too difficult to apply VGA patches if needed, I'll probably cross that bridge when I get to it.  :cheers:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #799 on: April 07, 2021, 09:19:33 am »
Thanks, It doesn't look too difficult to apply VGA patches if needed, I'll probably cross that bridge when I get to it.  :cheers:

there appears to be a force vga option that may or may not work.
also there is prep work i discovered.
every game needs to be in it's own numbered folder with an 8.3 file format and in cdi or gdi format.
this is how the ps classic software does things. you put games in a folder and it moves them to individual numbered folders so the built in menu can see them.
i'll look at those scripts also to try and make it painless.

but I have 128gb of games. though some are different versions of the same game so i'd probably just use the latest to trim down the list.
they are all zipped folders with the gd's individual files so i think i need to convert them first.

idk will have to look up what to do now.