Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Out of wall space  (Read 43336 times)

rovingmind

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2023, 11:13:48 pm
  • If you only knew the POWER of the Dark Side
    • rovingmind
Re: Out of wall space
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 01:51:54 am »
very nice
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

brihyn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 08:09:54 am »
are you connecting the CP's directly to the GPIO, or using something like a Kade as an interface?

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2021, 09:02:29 pm
  • I'm interested in the classic games of the 80s
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 08:11:27 am »
I didn't measure the heights precisely but mounted them so the controls would be about the right height for an adult.  Thus as someone mentioned all the controls are at about the same height.  Not all the cabinets are the same height, so if the bottoms were alight the tops wouldn't be the same and vice-versa.  This never bothered me because in a real arcade all the cabinets aren't the same height.  Of course one could use a standard design for all the cabinets so they would have the same dimensions, but this would cause them to loose some character. 

Someone mentioned moving them up as the kids get older.  Since I have 3 kids of different sizes and like the play them myself it is easier for short people to just use a stool.

Fantastic collection!

Not a criticism, just a question - how did you decide on each machines vertical position, my OCD would have demanded that all machines have an even gap between bottom of cab and the floor.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 08:16:49 am »
On all of these I use the GP-Wiz40 to connect the controls via USB.  On the cabs that are Raspberry Pi based I do use the GPIO for some buttons on the top of the machine that control which ROM is used when launched and that tell the machine to shut down, as well as the knocker on Q*Bert.  For my next project I have some of the new B+ Pis that have more GPIO pins so I may do all the controls on the GPIO.

are you connecting the CP's directly to the GPIO, or using something like a Kade as an interface?

brihyn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 08:58:28 am »
hmmm...can you give more information on how you use GPIOs to launch specific roms?
have I mentioned I plan to build 1 or 2 of these myself? still love the design!

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 09:37:34 am »
It is pretty easy to use GPIO for this types of inputs.  First get using the wiring PI libraries:

git clone git://git.drogon.net/wiringPi

cd wiringPi
git pull origin

cd wiringPi
./build

Check the installation:
gpio -v
gpio readall

After that you can just put something like the following in a shell script that runs when the computer is turned on:

if[ $(gpio -g read 4) -eq 1 ]
then
echo "Launching Defender" && advmame defender
else
echo "Launching Stargate" && advmame stargate
fi

There are also libraries to access GPIO from python.  There is a basic tutorial on how to do that here:
http://raspberrypi.nxez.com/2013/10/13/simple-guide-to-the-rpi-gpio-header-and-pins.html

hmmm...can you give more information on how you use GPIOs to launch specific roms?
have I mentioned I plan to build 1 or 2 of these myself? still love the design!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:43:36 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 09:46:25 am »
First off, let me state that I think the craftsmanship on these is outstanding. As far as the cabinets go, they look great.

But something that I've always wondered about is the purpose behind wall mounting them. They're about the same depth as a Woody cab, so you're not really saving space from that aspect. From your pictures, you're not doing anything with the space underneath them, so there's really no practical need for them to be wall-mounted. I could see if you had shelving or storage or something else under them why they'd need to be wall-mounted, but there's nothing there.

I mean, your reasoning could be something as simple as "because I wanted to", but I've always wondered why.  :cheers:

Again, the craftsmanship on them is excellent. This isn't a criticism, just a question.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 04:36:20 pm
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2014, 09:49:38 am »
I love everything about your builds.

Every time you make a new one I'm blown away all over again.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:54:00 am by Locke141 »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2014, 10:00:53 am »
I believe the Woody cab is 20" deep, I don't have any problem with that design, but those cabinets have significantly more material and bulk than mine.  I would guess they are at least 2x the weight if not more.  My cabs are about the same width but thinner, the Robotron is about 11.5" for example.  It would be possible to make it floor standing but something that thin would not be stable enough for serious play unless it was attached to the wall.  The other disadvantage would be that continuing the cabinet to the floor would allow less space for standing.

First off, let me state that I think the craftsmanship on these is outstanding. As far as the cabinets go, they look great.

But something that I've always wondered about is the purpose behind wall mounting them. They're about the same depth as a Woody cab, so you're not really saving space from that aspect. From your pictures, you're not doing anything with the space underneath them, so there's really no practical need for them to be wall-mounted. I could see if you had shelving or storage or something else under them why they'd need to be wall-mounted, but there's nothing there.

I mean, your reasoning could be something as simple as "because I wanted to", but I've always wondered why.  :cheers:

Again, the craftsmanship on them is excellent. This isn't a criticism, just a question.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2014, 10:07:55 am »
I believe the Woody cab is 20" deep, I don't have any problem with that design, but those cabinets have significantly more material and bulk than mine.  I would guess they are at least 2x the weight if not more.  My cabs are about the same width but thinner, the Robotron is about 11.5" for example.  It would be possible to make it floor standing but something that thin would not be stable enough for serious play unless it was attached to the wall.  The other disadvantage would be that continuing the cabinet to the floor would allow less space for standing.

But you don't stand under the cabinet, you stand in front of it. I don't have that issue with any of the full-size vintage cabs I own. >:D

Anyway, just a question I've always had when I saw the photo of them all mounted in a row. I suppose, if anything, you always COULD end up using the space underneath for something at a later date, so you do have that flexibility.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 01:41:52 pm »

But you don't stand under the cabinet, you stand in front of it. I don't have that issue with any of the full-size vintage cabs I own. >:D

Anyway, just a question I've always had when I saw the photo of them all mounted in a row. I suppose, if anything, you always COULD end up using the space underneath for something at a later date, so you do have that flexibility.

Like beer holders.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2014, 01:57:57 pm »

At least for me having more options on where to place to feet makes a difference during longer sessions.  With many upright designs the control panel sticks out from the base to allow extra room for the feet.  Some people prefer to play from a bar stool (although not my preference) which requires more space under the control panel and can be awkward with some full-sized cabs. 

Although it would be possible to store something under it, I wouldn't personally do that.  I prefer a cleaner look.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2014, 02:38:51 pm »
Would also think having them wall mounted makes cleaning up under and around them much easier and you don't get the wood rot on the bottom of them.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2014, 02:42:51 pm »
If I had your setup, I would slide a barstool under each one. Because I see the barstool skootch space as a real advantage. I would probably also do a rail for drinks. I get where you are coming from with the clean look though. You do call to attention some of the visual differences between the games.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2014, 01:56:24 pm »
This is so cool. just saw this…. Really impressed with the choices you've made..SMART

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2014, 08:38:45 pm »
If I had your setup, I would slide a barstool under each one. Because I see the barstool skootch space as a real advantage. I would probably also do a rail for drinks. I get where you are coming from with the clean look though. You do call to attention some of the visual differences between the games.

I like that idea, a fancy solid wood rail along the wall broken up between each game. Kinda like the ones you see in pool halls. Then maybe matching stools with the logo on each for each game.

Fast351

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 10:49:37 am
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2015, 11:07:37 am »
I just wanted to say that those machines are a great collection of classic games executed in a really neat form factor and beautifully done!

I'm envious, and might borrow that idea when I get my man cave done :)

Admiral688

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2022, 11:51:38 pm
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2015, 02:13:55 am »
I love these cabs. Would love to build one of these for my wifes office for the wheelchair patients.
Using Tapatalk

jlfreund

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2023, 06:26:07 pm
    • My project's blog
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2015, 10:43:34 pm »
These are great!  I've been meaning to do a wall mounted cabinet for a couple of years now, and I think I will probably start this year, using these as inspiration (I really like the flush mount wall hangers for starters).

I'm curious about how the whole monitor enclosure with bezel was done.  What kind of monitor did you use?  It looks like a 4:3 LCD inside, which is an endangered species these days.  It would be great to see other pictures of the build if you have them.

davidgilmour

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2021, 05:54:09 pm
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2015, 05:15:27 am »
Awesome bartops, just brilliant  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2015, 12:11:11 pm »
The basement is being remodeled so hopefully I will have more wall space soon.  My most recent project was this Galaga cabinet.  This time I built two identical ones at the same time, one is for a friend who is a big fan of the game.  I included a picture with the back of one off so folks can see how it was made.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2015, 05:27:29 pm »
Um, why the chopped up yardstick?

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2015, 06:18:26 pm »

Yardsticks are the cheapest straight wood of that size available ($0.69).  They are used to hold the LEDs in place for the marque.  I also have some that hold the bezel and marque in place from the back but those might not be as obvious in the picture.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:29:06 pm by 2084 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2015, 06:30:51 pm »

Yardsticks are the cheapest straight wood of that size available ($0.69).  They are used to hold the LEDs in place for the marque.  I also have some that hold the bezel and marque in place from the back but those might not be as obvious in the picture.

That's actually a great idea, my friend!  :cheers:

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2015, 07:20:59 pm »
Agreed, I love seeing innovation like that.  I wonder if the freebie paint stir sticks from Home Depot work as well.  Free is even better than cheap!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2015, 09:53:45 pm »
the bonus is that it also saves time, as you don't have to measure the cut  ;D

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2015, 05:28:42 am »
Where do these mount to the wall and what do you use to keep them there?

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2015, 07:05:56 am »
Where do these mount to the wall and what do you use to keep them there?

Here is a picture with the back on and the mounting brackets visible.  Similar brackets go on the wall in the opposite orientation so they hook together.

brihyn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2015, 01:30:49 pm »
Are you just using an ordinary wall switch for turning this on and off?
Hopefully you share more pictures of the insides of these, as you have a lot of innovative ideas that I'm loving! The wife is 100% on board with me building these once time opens up.

stavros693000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 05:33:15 pm
  • I built my own arcade machine
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2015, 04:41:53 pm »
Today I finished my latest wall mounted arcade project (Q*bert) which will probably be the last for a while as I am now out of wall space.  All of the machines plug into a recessed outlet behind the machine so the cord doesn't show (except for a little bit of the Tempest cord which I realized after seeing the picture I need to tuck back in).  All have a button that looks like a coin acceptor but they do not take coins.  All use LCD monitors (a CRT would not fit without making the cabinet a lot thicker and heaver).  I like this cabinet design as it allows the feel of the original while using only about 1/4 the space.

Robotron:  The first one I made.  Powered by a Raspberry pi.

Rampage:  My second machine.  The only one in which the CPO and bezel do not match the original.  Powered by Raspberry pi.

Stargate:  As plays defender.  Powered by a raspberry pi.

Fix-it-Felix Jr:  Also plays many other games that can be played with a single joystick and 2 buttons.  Powered by a Windows 7 PC.

Tempest:  Set up to be switchable between several versions including Tempest Tubes, As plays Major Havoc, Star Tac, Arkanoid, and Bomb Bee.  It has the spinner dial and volcano buttons from an original machine.  Powered by Raspberry Pi

Q*Bert:  Has a 4-way joystick mounted diagonally.  Has a knocker similar to the original which fires when Q*Bert or Coily fall off the pyramid.  Set up to play several version of Q*bert (Mello Yello, Qubes, etc.), Tylz, and Congo Bongo.  Also Raspberry Pi.

love your work friend, well done....Just have a question regarding the Raspberry Pi's capabilities.......

I would like to build a bartop using a Rasberry Pi to power it ,but some of my favourite games are streetfighter 2, x-men vs streetfighter, Marvel vs streetfighter and shmups etc, etc. So my question is, do you know if the Pi is capable of running these mame roms?

thanks in advance mate  :cheers:
my first build classic style upright cabinet..... MARVELOUS FIGHTER (FINISHED) http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133066.0.html

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2015, 04:48:05 pm »
Are you just using an ordinary wall switch for turning this on and off?
Hopefully you share more pictures of the insides of these, as you have a lot of innovative ideas that I'm loving! The wife is 100% on board with me building these once time opens up.

Yes, just a regular light switch.  Less than $1 at your local hardware store that turns off the power for the whole machine so it never needs to be unplugged.  On the other side there is a push button that turns on/off the monitor, marquee light, and speakers.  This way it can be turned on and off quickly without having to reboot.  The pi itself remains on most of the time which isn't much of an issue since it uses <5W of power.

After I build my first one my wife really liked it and I've now built eight.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2015, 04:56:03 pm »
love your work friend, well done....Just have a question regarding the Raspberry Pi's capabilities.......

I would like to build a bartop using a Rasberry Pi to power it ,but some of my favourite games are streetfighter 2, x-men vs streetfighter, Marvel vs streetfighter and shmups etc, etc. So my question is, do you know if the Pi is capable of running these mame roms?

thanks in advance mate  :cheers:

I am not the best one to answer this question as never had an interest in the games you mention.  All of my builds so far have used the original Raspberry Pi (Model B or B+).  I am fairly certain these models would not do well on the games you mentioned.  I have gotten a few of the new Raspberry Pi 2s that came out earlier this year and are supposed to be 6x faster than the original models.  I have played around some with these newer ones and found they can do well with emulation of some 90s games that I have tried, although I haven't done much extensive testing and haven't tried the games you mentioned.

stavros693000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 05:33:15 pm
  • I built my own arcade machine
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2015, 07:40:47 pm »
ok, thanks for the reply, I might buy one and test it out....they're not very expensive are they?
if It wont play those games I could always build a nes bar top, im sure the pi will run old nes games very well.

thanks again mate, and your wall of arcade is awesome  :applaud:
my first build classic style upright cabinet..... MARVELOUS FIGHTER (FINISHED) http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133066.0.html

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2015, 08:04:00 pm »
ok, thanks for the reply, I might buy one and test it out....they're not very expensive are they?
if It wont play those games I could always build a nes bar top, im sure the pi will run old nes games very well.
If you buy the Pi from a real dealer, then the current model is $35-40.  There are scalper vendors out there that are charging more, don't do it!  And yes, even the older model Pi's could do retro consoles without a problem.

woosdom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2020, 12:48:51 pm
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2015, 10:46:17 pm »
do you use retropie or something like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2015, 07:23:41 am »
do you use retropie or something like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not familiar with retropie.  I used advancedMAME, but I'm sure there are multiple ways this could be done.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2015, 03:43:23 pm »
Tiny thread necromancy but how did you manage the artwork?  I am planning a bartop Ms Pacman for my girlfriend and have not yet gotten around to planning the artwork.  Did you scale down original and have it printed at 70% somewhere?  Create all new original?  Etc?  Thanks.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2015, 03:47:01 pm »
Tiny thread necromancy but how did you manage the artwork?  I am planning a bartop Ms Pacman for my girlfriend and have not yet gotten around to planning the artwork.  Did you scale down original and have it printed at 70% somewhere?  Create all new original?  Etc?  Thanks.

The control panel art, marquee, and bezel art are all close to full size, but were all custom printed.  Not all the machines have side art, but those that do it was either much reduced (e.g. Qbert, Fix-it-Felix Jr) or custom (Tempest) due to the minimal space for side art which is much shallower than an original. 

aldub516

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 03:32:46 pm
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2015, 04:13:49 pm »
Hey good sir. I had pm'ed you a while ago, but i personally sometimes never notice i have messages so i figured maybe id resurrect this for some pointers. Im basically aiming to build dedicated mini cabs for a friend, much like your idea, (although you rocked it beyond anything)... My PM has more details, but being brand new to pi as it is, i wanted pointers on how you boot single games for each cab. I am using a raspberry pi 2, and as much as ive looked, there is minimal help on booting to a single game for this purpose. Of course im assuming you have them set up to boot to their dedicated game. Being new to pi this may be a stupid question, but is there an sd image that would be able to help me do this? or is it all about advmame and scripts or what have you?  While im busy learning EVERYTHING about pi, i wanted to know if you can help in that department. Being new, i dont want to spend a week learning the raspberry pi, just for you to reply and say "hey man heres the sd image, just replace the rom in the folder and youre good" lol. thank you for any help, and incredible job. I saw your work on google a long time ago and never knew who did it. I had that picture saved forever.

dezmond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2017, 04:12:40 pm
  • Gonna Build Something.......
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2015, 04:23:02 pm »
Love these!!!!  Great work.   Can you open one up and snap a photo inside?  Or do you have a build thread on here?

Thanks!

Dezi