Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: KADE Analog Input Question (X-Box Classic)  (Read 1058 times)

WindDrake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2020, 09:49:05 pm
  • Electrical Engineer
KADE Analog Input Question (X-Box Classic)
« on: August 16, 2014, 12:40:26 am »
Having problems finding out if/how this is possible. KADE site/forums are difficult to find information in (at least this topic).

Is the KADE strictly a digital device, with no analog input?

I am thinking about putting together a squid that would replace the unreliable guts of a Super Off-Road, while allowing me to play all the other fun optical wheel games. Was thinking likely two KADE's for gas pedals (P1 left + right trigger, P2 Left trigger) and two Opti-Wizzes for the wheels, ontop of a J-Pac and appropriate console to J-PAC converters, and an XBox to 15khz cable. Trying to do zero hacking to the machine, allowing for a plug-in-and-go installation.

Problem is, the gas pedals are analog, so I need a way of getting that to the appropriate emulator. Looked at the KADE, but I'm not sure it can do what I need it to.

sharpfork

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
Re: KADE Analog Input Question (X-Box Classic)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:41:55 am »
The KADE miniArcade is digital only.  We have a few analog capable options we have been testing. See PL1's thread for more info: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=134781.0

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2024, 02:16:34 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:47:04 am »
I've used the Kade+ analog on 4 builds now. Works great!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:39:32 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 01:44:34 pm »
Sounds like an interesting project, WindDrake.   ;D

Disclaimer: Kevin and Jon are the XBox/KADE experts -- the following is just me thinking out loud.   :blah:   :dunno

Depending on the needed number of inputs, three atMega32u4 (KADESTICK) or at90usb646/at90usb1286 (maxArcade) AVRs, one per player.

Jon or Kevin *might* be able to merge/reconfigure/recompile source code from these three KADE firmwares:
  * Xbox Gamepad Encoder (Custom) -- XBox specific functions
  * KADESTICK or KADE maxArcade - USB/HID Joystick 2 Player with Analog (Beta) -- analog input for the gas pedal
  * Trackball/Spinner (Quadrature) to USBHID Gamepad Encoder (Beta) -- quadrature inputs for the 360 optical wheel

May want to use X-axis for the optical inputs and change the analog axis to X-ro (rotation) axis for the gas pedal or Y-axis for the optical (use wheel to scroll through FE menu?) and X-axis for the pedal -- not sure which would be better.   :dunno

Not sure if the emulator programs on XBox will differentiate between P1/P2/P3 on the optical and analog controls or if P2 should be Y-axis optical and Y-ro axis for the gas pedal and P3 should be on the Z-axes.

Also not sure if the gas pedals or unused analog axes can cause problems with the front end scrolling -- the KADESTICK 4-axis firmware caused constant scrolling in MAMEUIFX when the Z-axis (a.k.a. mouse scroll wheel) was disconnected. (0v = full down  :o)

A simple voltage divider with matching resistors will keep any unused analog axes centered -- any resistors between 2.4k and 51k are definitely fine as long as they are the same resistance.

5v --- resistor ---|--- resistor --- ground
                            input

Are there any other buttons/functions you would need beyond the steering wheels, gas pedals, Start, Back, and Exit buttons?

Scott