Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: making the cabinet the source of entertainment for guests and the wives  (Read 4283 times)

knightrdrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2020, 10:45:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I just got the joysticks, trackball , and spinner configured..haven't put the computer into a cabinet yet..it's all in a computer desk now but had my friend and his wife over last night..and we played some trackball bowling..my wife is really into it especially because she has the high score... My friend's wife was then excited to play Qbert...and she then moved the wrong way and Qbert commited suicide immediately.... "rookie mistake" I said then it was my turn and i cleared the board ..then I glanced and she looked a bit bored so I died on purpose...I understand this isn't 1982 and we don't crowd around the Pac-man or the Atari anxiously awaiting our turn..these days it is easier to entertain your friends over a 4 player simultaneous game of Mario Kart on the 60 inch TV.  Am I looking at this cabinet the wrong way...It's really more for me...and when I have 1 of my guy friends over we could play games for hours like NHL 94 or Burgertime.  Maybe I should put something else in the basement for my wife and his wife other than playing with the dogs or sitting on the couch and playing Candy Crush.  Or am I trying to hard to keep them happy and they should just go off and do something else like watch tv or bake a dessert.
The finished cabinet will be user friendly I hope and I just want my friends to go over to it and just play without having to ask.  I certainly want my wife to be into it as well and my future kids but I understand they won't be interested in most of the games and that's fine.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
first off, kudos for saying the women should be baking dessert  :cheers:

Get the women involved more, ask what games they want to play, then let them play WITHOUT you. My fiancee got super bored when we played MsPacman together, she doesnt enjoy watching someone else play; but she liked to play it solo and I dont mind standing there not playing. Idealy when they arent in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant, you should let them play against each other while you and your buddy play some NHL 94 on the 60" TV :)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
To get women involved, make your cab dispense money and/or coupons as money or saving money is the only thing they care about.  Well that and shoes. ;)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
     There is just soooo much wrong with this thread already, And rather than Jennifer getting all like involved, It should be noted that girls are people too, and building them is just as much fun as playing them, Not to mention the "The something we can enjoy together" thing... However you do bring up an interesting point, the not waiting for your turn, that was expected back in the day but now that everyone is so hyper connected, ADD (and a host of other disorders) have taken away the simple and basic societal protocols..... And +1 on awesome  :applaud: shoes!!!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
     There is just soooo much wrong with this thread already, And rather than Jennifer getting all like involved, It should be noted that girls are people too, and building them is just as much fun as playing them, Not to mention the "The something we can enjoy together" thing... However you do bring up an interesting point, the not waiting for your turn, that was expected back in the day but now that everyone is so hyper connected, ADD (and a host of other disorders) have taken away the simple and basic societal protocols..... And +1 on awesome  :applaud: shoes!!!

you are of course posting this from the kitchen, right?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
    OMG....!!!!.... You are like horribly mean.... But no, I "had" a kitchen but after removing the oven I fitted 6 cabs and 2 jukes in there.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Only thing I've ever gotten a woman to play more than once was Dance Dance Revolution.  My wife likes the "ambiance" but I'd be shocked if she's played one of my machines in the last two years.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
You want a game that the ladies will love?

Boonga boonga.  Bishes love boonga boonga. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
    Oh I love the Dance Dance , (Wish I had one) Jennifer has to go to the mall to play it and then I look like a idiot, Spinning and dancing and laughing and laughing.... But back to the OP, Get yourself a countertop Mega touch and plop it in front of her chair, (And take her out dating too.)  ::)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Spend the money you would have wasted on a Megatouch on an Ipad Mini instead.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
We have a forum with thousands of members, and two women... I think my point still stands.  ;)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:09:41 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
My friend's wife was then excited to play Qbert...and she then moved the wrong way and Qbert commited suicide immediately.... "rookie mistake" I said then it was my turn and i cleared the board ..then I glanced and she looked a bit bored

Another "rookie mistake", I see...  >:D

Ask your guy friends before they come over if their wives like games, and if so, what games they like. Then, when showing the machine off for the first time, boot into one of their favorites. If all else fails, boot into Ms. Pac-Man or Centipede (if you have a trackball).

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
They just aren't going to be that interested in it. No big deal, but 2 player games for the classics is a total bore. Hell, I don't want to watch someone else play. Good party games is where it's at: Bowling, 2 player simultaneous games like Joust and Mario Bros, and shuffleshot.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm

Fill the gameroom with Tetris clones.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
Re: making the cabinet the source of entertainment for guests and the wives
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 02:46:54 pm »
I realize this thread is a little old, but I am kinda bored today, so I will throw my 2 cents in, lol.

While some women are just as fanatical about games as guys, it is a fairly rare trait.  If you can get them excited about the nostalgia and give them something they can do while you pay attention to them (ie have them play centipede while you watch), you are good for a bit.  But leave a few women alone in a room with an arcade cabinet and they will likely spend more time talking about how you play a lot, how nice it is to have a man who can build something like that (ie handy, which women in general get googly eyed over, especially in their 30's and 40's after they have lived a little and recognize how desirable it is to have that in their man), and then move on to talking about other stuff like shoes, shopping, kids, crafts, men, or whatever else they are into.  Bottom line is women get together and like to talk, to gush, and to gossip, usually with a bottle of wine (or 3).  So let them.  If it is a good woman, she will feel bad for "ignoring" you all night while you played video games with your friends because she was so preoccupied with gabbing with her girlfriends.  It is a win-win in that case. 

If you DO end up with a woman who likes to play video games with you, she will probably not want to take turns, so play a simultaneous 2 player game.. BUT, make sure she wins, and then be a good sport about losing.  I have yet to meet a woman who is a good sport when they lose in anything.  A best, they will pretend it is OK, but that night you won't get any lovin.  At worst they will never want to play again with you (which might actually end up being OK, lol).  Either way, if you win, you will be buying her a new pair of shoes in the next few days, or at best having to spend 3 hours in the store while she looks for a new pair of shoes.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 03:24:10 pm »
   Oh please 3 hrs for the shoes and where are you?, over in the electronics section checking out the discounted movies, and wondering how your going to talk us into the "new" giant tv that we so desperately need like right now (Giggle, WHATEVER).... And FWIW, we have to let you win at the games just so you can feel you feel all macho. ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 04:15:39 pm »
Speaking as a man, that's the difference between men and women.  We don't browse, we don't shop, we go and buy things.  All this looking at stuff for 30 mins and then deciding NOT to buy it, that's a woman thing. 

Even if I'm TRYING to kill time somewhere, I can go though an entire store in 15-20 minutes.  They sell the same crap every day what's so fascinating to look at?

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:59:24 am
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 04:21:24 pm »
We have a forum with thousands of members, and two women... I think my point still stands.  ;)
Jennifer and kaneda?

good day.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 05:00:23 pm »
Sorry, there isn't an electronics section when you are in the shoe section of a Dillards .. And no seats to sit on while you wait for countless hours.. instead you have to lean on a post in front of the changing rooms and try not to look like a perv trying to catch a glimpse of someone else's wife coming out of the dressing room half unbuttoned.  The good news is, any other husbands/boyfriends there are in the same boat so you aren't going to catch any hell for it, even if you ARE checking out the other wives/girlfriends.. The bad news is, every employee there (all ladies over 60) are looking at you like you are just waiting for a mom to look away from her baby so you can grab the baby and sell it on the black market to buy hookers and blow..

All I can say is thank GOD for smartphones, now at least we can play a game or read a book look at the cheesecake thread on BYOAC while we are waiting.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 05:02:30 pm »
I take exception to your map.  No self-respecting man ever sets foot in the Gap.  ;)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 05:06:28 pm »

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 05:15:38 pm »
The bad news is, every employee there (all ladies over 60) are looking at you like you are just waiting for a mom to look away from her baby so you can grab the baby and sell it on the black market to buy hookers and blow..

That's NOT what you do?  Oops.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 05:21:50 pm »
I've never got that either.  Don't they have husbands?  They do understand that even if we WERE pedophiles ready to snatch up children we still wouldn't go to the ladies shoe section of Macy's to do it.  I mean sweet tender child flesh is great and all, but if I have to pretend to look at shoes... totally not worth it. 

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 05:34:26 pm »
Those shoes don't fit well anyway.. although they DO make ---my bottom--- look GREAT!.. Wait.. what?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 05:59:32 pm »
Dave never met a topic he didn't want to throw a few pennies at.  >:D

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 07:07:37 pm »
About the only department store I can handle is Sears. It managed to keep some of the masculinity that places like Macy's gave up on years ago.

The worst stuff is those trendy mall shops that blast remixed pop music in your ears and nearly shut out the lights. Never got the point of why even women would want to stumble around those stores. It apparently became obvious that the only thing shopping was missing out on was 16+ night at the local club.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 07:11:06 pm »
Dave never met a topic he didn't want to throw a few pennies at.  >:D
Costing me a pile of pennies lately, lol.  And I am learning to avoid throwing anything at topics where X2 is involved.  Like talking to a wall.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 07:50:20 pm »
About the only department store I can handle is Sears. It managed to keep some of the masculinity that places like Macy's gave up on years ago.

The worst stuff is those trendy mall shops that blast remixed pop music in your ears and nearly shut out the lights. Never got the point of why even women would want to stumble around those stores. It apparently became obvious that the only thing shopping was missing out on was 16+ night at the local club.

Those of you that have tweenage daughters know of the unspeakable horror that is Justice.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 09:23:01 pm »
Costing me a pile of pennies lately, lol.  And I am learning to avoid throwing anything at topics where X2 is involved.  Like talking to a wall.

Of text.  Hey-o!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 01:32:22 am »

Of text.  Hey-o!

Rep for you.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 10:10:44 am »
Yeah no Gap. I buy my stuff at stores I can get as much shopping done in one place as I can. Target, Costco, heck even Walmart. At least I can get screws and milk there too. If I need fancy pants, I steal them from my suits.

As for getting women involved in your arcade gaming, play puzzle games or 3/4 player games. Many women like beat 'em ups as well. My wife loves golden tee, shuuz, shuffleshot and world class bowling. Puzzle Bobble, Super Bishi Bashi Champ, Dr. Mario etc etc.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 10:25:26 am »
In my household, we both dislike shopping so much that we're seriously considering signing up for grocery delivery.  If they can bring soda, toilet paper, and beef jerky on the regular then we're good to go.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 10:32:59 am »
Funny, I just got an email from Amazon about the new Prime Pantry.. Amazon Prime for groceries.. I want my Cheetos delivered via a drone, dammit!

And for the Gap, I took that image off the interweb, you can interchange the store name with any other store in the world and the idea holds true.  You could send a woman to the dollar store for a sponge and she would still manage to spend more than $50, and it would still take her 3 hours to do it.. And she would probably forget to get the sponge and would tell you afterward how much money she saved by spending all that money..

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 11:04:20 am »
    OMG, Jennifer loves going to the mall.... A giant cherry slurpie, and those HUGE pretzles, and sniffing the candles at the card shop..., AWESOME!!!.... However no self respecting cowboys hang out there. So sometimes I got to go to the Sears too. :-\

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 11:09:59 am »
I was with you until candle sniffing came up...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 11:26:43 am »
In my household, we both dislike shopping so much that we're seriously considering signing up for grocery delivery.  If they can bring soda, toilet paper, and beef jerky on the regular then we're good to go.

Leave instructions for them to roll you outside to the curb when you pass on the next world, my friend.  :cheers:

spoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 12:43:40 pm »
I take exception to your map.  No self-respecting man ever sets foot in the Gap.  ;)

Indeed, gap only deals with spark plugs.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »
My usual shopping experience is go to Dillards, giver her my Dillards Card, then leave her to play Keno for three hours (after Starbucks) then pick her up, compliment her on the purchases she made, then off for a nice dinner and drinks then home.

Totally stress free.  You have to play the game and make her feel special, then any cab even a Steel Talons will work for her.

Make a cocktail cab and put a nice frilly lamp on it and she will be happy.   :cheers:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 07:05:15 pm »

Leave instructions for them to roll you outside to the curb when you pass on the next world, my friend.  :cheers:

I have this image of them having to cut pbj out of his house when he dies and lifting him out with a crane.  I'm not saying he's that fat by any means, it's just his reluctance to do anything that requires leaving the home.....

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2014, 02:33:51 am »
I'm not saying he's that fat by any means, it's just his reluctance to do anything that requires leaving the home.....

I can totally relate to not wanting to interact with the outside world.