Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Racing Cab  (Read 7636 times)

BzZziLLa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2015, 10:58:28 pm
  • Seems legit!
New Racing Cab
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:40:30 pm »
Howdy folks! I have been following this forum for a few years now, on and off, as I have been putting together cabs. Now, I figure it’s time that I start sharing my current project. However, I must warn you that I am by no means anywhere near as proficient as some of the folks I’ve seen here. The ingenuity on some the rigs here is mind blowing.

So anyway, I was trolling Craigslist for a junker cab to help my little brother throw together is first mame build and came across somebody selling a racer cab that he started putting together but never finished. And so it sat (in his impressive game room) for years until he decided to post it on Craig's for 50 clams. Naturally, I dropped everything and started harassing everybody I could until I found somebody with a pickup truck willing to help me pick up this lil gem.

You can see my wife already trying to claim it as hers.
Seems Legit!

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
Re: New Racing Cab
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:47:18 pm »
wow is a beautiful piece of cab measures have to ask is that I have thought about doing 2 twins and I think your cab is perfect!
Congratulations and be sure to show progress  :applaud:

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:57:06 pm »
So here are some more pictures. You can see what it looks like taken apart (I'll take pictures later as I go).

The guy mounted one of those rocker gaming chairs onto some mdf and put it on a track with rollers to mount onto the base. Very crafty.

I also posted some pictures of the painting and sanding process. I gave it another layer of primer and three coats of satin black. Nothing exciting here. I hate painting. I have some rustoleum spray paint for the final coat.

EDIT: After taking a look at the pictures, it's fairly obvious that I outsourced some of the painting to my wife. So I can't take all the credit ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:57:30 am by BzZziLLa »
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 11:04:24 pm »
I'll have to measure the length. But the width is perfect. It's about 28" and fits through normal doors. And just enough room to throw a 27" HDTV in there for a screen.
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:21:41 pm »
Just for fun, I'll show you my upright i have in the other corner of my game (living) room.

But anyway, back to the racer. I picked up a barely used MOMO steering wheel at Goodwill for $15 two days after I bought the cab. Talk about a steal. So far, I've paid more for painting supplies than the entire cab and probably the steering wheel. I'll gather my thoughts on the expenditures later.

Also, I've been tinkering around in photoshop and trying to come up with a decent marquee. I think I'll name her Wet & Reckless. I like what I have so far, but it still feels like something is missing. Maybe a border or something.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:32:09 am by BzZziLLa »
Seems Legit!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:25:38 pm »
I ended up with $700 in my $50 cab.  All those $40 trips to the hardware store add up.
It's now my policy to never keep track.   ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 11:39:24 pm »
So far I've spent 100 bucks, but I haven't gotten to the finish work yet... that'll kill ya. 

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:04 pm »
I hear you badmouth. Unfortunately, I'm an economist by trade and education. I'm most often at the mercy of the little demons in my brain and they're usually telling me to count the money. However, I have noticed that all of those little voices begin to get alarmingly quieter whenever there's an arcade project.

I'd also like to share with everybody some of the artwork that I'm creating for the maximus arcade front end. Yes, I know everybody loves hyperspin. And no, I don't care. MA has always been kind and gentle to me. She's not my side chick, she's my main b*tch. Don't judge.

Anyways. Here is what I have for now. Enjoy!!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:42:03 am by BzZziLLa »
Seems Legit!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:48:05 pm »
Looks nice. 

Actually in the case of Badmouth and I you are preaching to the choir.  Last time I checked we both find HS to be a bit too animated... like a kid jumping around trying to get your attention.

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 01:28:38 am »
Oh. Good. I'm not the only one out there who would prefer not have epileptic seizures and stroke out before getting to play a game.

I'm hoping that this project doesn't exceed $500. Luckily, I had a quad-core pc with 4gb of ram and a 9800gt sitting around. This puppy will push any emulator or pc game. But there is still a laundry list of stuff to do that will nickel and dime me:

• Get a key ignition switch to power on (hopefully)
  • Order some red t-molding
  • I need to figure out what I'm going to do for sound
  • Get a better power supply for the pc
  • Find a 25-27" hdtv on craigs
  • Order the marquee and make a retainer
  • Get some plexi (luckily I live in Cali and TAPS Plastics is just around the corner from me)
  • Make a bezel
  • LEDs, of course
  • Eventually find a better wheel (I'm not going to make a dash until I have a better wheel)
  • Other stuff that I haven't thought of yet

Also, here’s a link to a youtube vid of my current draft of my MA theme.  I’m not sure what the deal is with embedding video though. They must not let noobs do it. lol

Enjoy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrkw74pr2Wk&feature=youtu.be

<embed width="420" height="345"
src=" "
type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

Seems Legit!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 08:16:32 am »
I would advise against the ignition switch thing.  A few others have tried it and while it's a nice novelty, it gets real old real fast.  That being said, try dx.com.... they have weird stuff like that. 

Monitors have been real cheap all summer.  They've regularly been selling three 24 inchers for 300 bucks... I'm so tempted to do a three monitor setup just for the heck of it.

Yeah the wheel is where your cost will come in.  I haven't upgraded mine yet.... trying to get the thing functional first. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 09:12:18 am »
Awesome use of the 90's arcade racer preview vid.  :lol

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:19:37 pm »
I bought a new 27" monitor on Amazon 5 weeks ago for $180, and went to buy another the other day and it was $220.. For some reason all monitors everywhere I have looked have taking a big jump in price.  But still, for around $200 for a decent 27", who can complain? 

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 03:25:46 pm »
as someone that previously had a momo wheel in their cab, I strongly suggest you spend a little more on a logitech driving force gt. they can be found on craiglist for $50-80. 11" wheel, more buttons, better plastic, 900* of rotation, quieter, quicker to rotate and a lot slimmer base. Its day and night.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 03:57:37 pm »
as someone that previously had a momo wheel in their cab, I strongly suggest you spend a little more on a logitech driving force gt. they can be found on craiglist for $50-80. 11" wheel, more buttons, better plastic, 900* of rotation, quieter, quicker to rotate and a lot slimmer base. Its day and night.

I still love the MOMO.  Haven't been able to bring myself to sell mine.  (ok partially because I might use the PCB in my second cab if I ever work on it again)
I'm yet to use more than 270 degrees of rotation with my G27.

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 08:46:03 pm »
I would advise against the ignition switch thing.  A few others have tried it and while it's a nice novelty, it gets real old real fast.  That being said, try dx.com.... they have weird stuff like that. 

I'm thinking of probably just getting a little button like this and mounting it by the marquee somewhere. I'll probably end up calling this project done before I ever build a dash. That's more of a longer run goal as time and resources permit.
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 08:57:49 pm »
I bought a new 27" monitor on Amazon 5 weeks ago for $180, and went to buy another the other day and it was $220.. For some reason all monitors everywhere I have looked have taking a big jump in price.  But still, for around $200 for a decent 27", who can complain?

Yea, $200 still seems kinda steep for me. I'm looking for the right deal on craigs for $60-$100.

Most definitely. A driving force gt is on my wishlist. Once I get another wheel I can set up some LAN racing and whoop some b*tcheez :w00t !!! lol
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 09:27:49 pm »
Does anybody have some suggestions for an affordable sound system? I'd like 2.1 with a nice sized sub (in a smaller enclosure) to stick under the seat.

Something like this maybe??:

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-SW-G2-1-1250-Speaker-System/dp/B0056BPUQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405646233&sr=1-1&keywords=gaming+speakers

Seems Legit!

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 10:18:42 pm »
BzZziLLa not bother you to upload your preview of The 90's Arcade Racer ?

EDIT: OPS did not realize that it is the official trailer cut  :banghead: :banghead:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:02:23 pm by Nuexzz »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 09:13:24 am »
Does anybody have some suggestions for an affordable sound system? I'd like 2.1 with a nice sized sub (in a smaller enclosure) to stick under the seat.

Something like this maybe??:

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-SW-G2-1-1250-Speaker-System/dp/B0056BPUQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1405646233&sr=1-1&keywords=gaming+speakers

That system seems a bit pricey to me, but I had a Genius 50w rms 2.0 system that I was impressed enough by to use in my standup cab.

These go on sale for $25 every few months if you're not in a hurry:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=313-8488

I have 2 sets and plan to use them in my twin setup if I ever get back to work on it.  (been buried in home improvement projects with no end in sight)

It's what I used in my last driving cab, although I swapped out the main speakers for some spare Logitech ones I had.  It was solely for appearance.

hiljak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 01:27:25 pm
  • be good or be good at it!!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 11:52:38 am »
I'm using this Logitec 2.1 speaker setup in one of my pincabs and it works REALLY well for the price ($30.00). 

http://www.microcenter.com/product/288839/LS21_21_Stereo_Speaker_System

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 09:07:24 pm »
Yea, but I want to put a speaker under the seat. I want ---my bottom--- to take a pounding. I need a sub that can do that.
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 10:09:55 pm »
I'm starting to notice that maximus arcade absolutely does not like the steering wheel and xbox 360 controller plugged in at the same time. I may have to run mala.
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 09:12:03 pm »
Just a little update. I found an older 26inch flatscreen HDTV in great condition on craigs for $40. It fits perfectly in the cabinet. I'm not sure how I'm going to mount it yet though. That'll be a headache for another day.

I also didn't like the way the finish was turning out inside the cabinet. I could see the wood grain and it was agitating me. So I smeared a bunch of filler in there to sand down and start that piece over.
Seems Legit!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 09:25:03 am »
I'm not sure how I'm going to mount it yet though. That'll be a headache for another day.

Nearly all flatscreen TV's have standardized VESA mounting points.
It's usually just a matter of drilling holes in a board with the same pattern, then mounting the board to the sides of the cab.

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 10:54:49 am »
Naturally, I would buy the one tv that isn't vesa. I would need a mounting adapter plate or just an older mount. Also, the weight of this TV is nearly 40lbs. So I'll have to build something a little more solid than I was originally anticipating. No biggie. Just minor nuisances.
Seems Legit!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 12:24:35 pm »
Nah man, you don't need a mounting plate.  Just some 3/4 inch plywood and some 2x2's  make a plywood wall the size of your opening and attach to the inner walls with 2x2 bracing.  now drill your bolt hole pattern in the plywood and bolt directly to it.  We used to use a similar method to hold up de-cased tvs, so I know it can handle the weight. 

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 08:59:02 pm »
Yea, you'll have to excuse my monday morningness. My original plan was to mount a lighter screen on a swivel arm (because i have one laying around). I was still kinda thinking along those lines and didn't fully read badmouth's post.
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 11:56:49 pm »
Not much progress has been made this week on the cab itself. I've just basically been sanding, filling, and painting the areas on the cab that have been agitating me. I should be ready for a final coat tomorrow.

Beyond that, I have been working on my Maximus theme and gathering and testing a ton of games. This is what I have so far:

PC Games:
Burnout Paradise
Crazy Taxi 3
Dirt 3
Grid 2
Grid Autosport
Hydro Thunder
Need for Speed Carbon
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed Most Wanted (old)
Need for Speed Most Wanted (new)
Need for Speed Shift 2
Need for Speed Undercover
Need for Speed Underground 2
OutRun 2006

Dolphin Triforce:
Mario Kart GP 2

Mame:
1000 Miglia
Mille Miglia 2
OutRun
Turbo OutRun
(This section needs a lot of work)

Nintendo 64:
California Speed
Cruis'n Exotica
Cruis'n USA
Cruis'n World
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Hot Wheels Turbo Racing
Off Road Challenge
Ridge Racer 64
Road Rash 64
San Francisco Rush- Extreme Racing
Rush 2 - Extreme Racing USA
Wave Race 64

Sega Dreamcast:
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Daytona USA
Hydro Thunder
Sega GT
Star Wars Episode I - Racer

Gamecube:
Mario Kart - Double Dash
(I have about 20 GC games that I need to test, but haven't yet. That's a project for the next few days. )

Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 12:00:30 am »
I have also been considering building a roll cage out of PVC and wrapping some of that plastic safety fencing over it.

The cage would look something like this:
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 12:07:23 am »
It looks like NASCAR already has a racing cabinet with a roll cage.
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 11:06:06 pm »
Some new artwork:

Seems Legit!

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 03:13:39 am »
Yea, but I want to put a speaker under the seat. I want ---my bottom--- to take a pounding. I need a sub that can do that.
Get a transducer for that.
I use 2 on mine youtube.com/mamerigs

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 10:38:38 am »
Get a transducer for that.
I use 2 on mine youtube.com/mamerigs

Do you have one to recommend?
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 11:52:29 pm »
Here's a crappy low res video of my maximus theme

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:55:05 pm by BzZziLLa »
Seems Legit!

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 03:19:19 am »
The one i'm using in that video is a Clark synthesis, sorry my youtube url was wrong, it should be www.youtube.com/aletchet

I have since bought some Sinus Live Bass-Pump III  for my sofa and have found them to be very good.

I'm looking at getting some more sinus transducers for my 3 screen rig at some point.

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 01:06:58 am »
With a little motivation from this thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140589.0.html

I picked up a seat from a Corolla and I'm in the process of mounting it. I paid $40 for it off of Craig's. It wasn't the best deal in the world, but its addition increased the comfort levels of this cab exponentially.
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 01:37:27 am »
Getting there.. I still have a fair amount of work left, but at least it's playable.
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 02:55:56 am »

Just picked up a driving force gt on craig's for $60. It's definitely worth every penny. Every game feels so much better!
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 10:53:42 am »
Just a small update:

I picked up a driving force gt and a better 26" HDTV for the screen. After installing both of these things, the controls in many of the games are now (obviously) off and my MA theme needs to tweaked for a new resolution. I haven't had much time to deal with these issues.

In the near future, I'll mount the screen and begin thinking about some sort of dash.

Here is a line item list of expenditures to date and a running total:

Expenditure    Price
Cabinet    $50.00
Logitech GT Force 2    $60.00
subwoofer    $12.00
Paint (primer, black and red) and misc supplies (rollers, brushes, plastic sheets, etc.)    $92.00
26" hdtv    $80.00
putty knife    $1.50
angled aluminum for marquee and bezel    $9.00
dvi to hdmi adapter    $4.00
hdmi cord    $5.00
speaker covers    $5.00
power button    $7.00
t molding    $21.00
Misc Speakers    $2.00
Velcro strips    $4.00
PC    $-   
Corolla Seat    $40.00
Misc Bolts and Screws    $12.00
Misc lumber    $3.00

Running Total:    $407.50
[/b]

Seems Legit!

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 11:59:15 am »

You should pick a number that you will stop counting at.  2 sets of books man.

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 11:49:53 pm »

You should pick a number that you will stop counting at.  2 sets of books man.

My accounting has some smoke and mirrors. There were some things that I dumped money into for this cab that I didn't end up using. So those expenditures didn't make it on the books.

At any rate, this project ends at $500 whether I'm finished or not. I'm already gearing up for my next project: a visual pinball cab. 
Seems Legit!