Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Old light gun drivers question  (Read 1497 times)

jgeis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 04:58:07 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Old light gun drivers question
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:37:45 pm »
Hi everyone,
I have no idea if this is the appropriate section to post this but after checking the FAQ I didn't see anything except an old guncon2 post that doesn't solve my problem.
     First let me start out by saying I am a complete noob to most of the arcade hardware supported on this site, I am very tech savvy so I have heard of most of this, but have no idea how to use it properly. Emulators for the most part I am intimately familiar with.

So my problem is this: I recently bought an old EMS topgun arcade light gun from ebay... Why? Because the reviews for most light guns are crap, and the newer models of the EMS topgun fit into the crap category. The gun I purchased had great reviews when it was first released. So without checking to see if I could get windows 7 support like a dummy, I purchased it. The manufacturing site offers no support for drivers outside of windows xp whatsoever. When I plug the gun into the pc windows 7 64bit picks it up as a usb hub, I have tried updating drivers for the usb hub in device manager to at least vista drivers for the gun but no luck. Windows will not even acknowledge that it is a gaming device so I can't update the driver. I have tried other options out there using a boot into windows test mode for unsigned drivers, this didn't work either. I also recently tried PPJoy with no luck.
     So I know somebody wrote these drivers for xp at some point, I wanted to know if there was a way to open the code of the xp drivers and change it to windows 7? My plans are to eventually build an arcade cab capable of playing any game from any era, with online support so no downgrading to xp. Any help or fingers pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I would love to implement guncon light guns but I'm trying to do this on an hd tv (I know... blasphemy) but it's what I want to do. My end goal with this gun is to transfer the guts of the ems gun into a replica 9mm and give it enough kick to feel like the real thing, if anyone has done that already I would love to see a link.

Thanks to everyone in advance

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:02:37 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Old light gun drivers question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:23:27 pm »
Sometimes you can install the XP driver for a device in Windows 7 if you have the driver extracted, you should be able to install the driver via Device Manager.

If that fails or if the driver comes in an EXE-format then running it in XP compatibility mode might work. http://en.kioskea.net/faq/24611-installing-a-driver-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7

jgeis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 04:58:07 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Old light gun drivers question
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:05:56 am »
Sometimes you can install the XP driver for a device in Windows 7 if you have the driver extracted, you should be able to install the driver via Device Manager.

If that fails or if the driver comes in an EXE-format then running it in XP compatibility mode might work. http://en.kioskea.net/faq/24611-installing-a-driver-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-7

Good ideas but I tried both, the problem is that windows 7 doesn't see it as a gaming peripheral, it only shows up as a usb hub. So updating drivers with out first getting the device recognized properly would be pointless.