Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Finally pulled the trigger on a mame cabinet  (Read 11005 times)

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Finally pulled the trigger on a mame cabinet
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 01:56:14 pm »
Here is a pic of the exact layout that I will be getting, I am going to ask that the players 3 and four be rotated so that they line up with players one and two and are all facing the same way.

Do you guys see any other issues I should be looking at?

And I had stick put on either side of player one and two buttons so that I could play smash tv and total carnage and have a linear layout with the controls, no need to use joystick 3 and 4.

I'd either choose 4-way sticks or 8-way sticks. Or get a servo stick that is switchable. Having a many sticks is going to be annoying. The extra 4-way and buttons I assume are for the front end is also redundant as you can just use one of the players controls.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:56:05 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2014, 02:19:23 pm »
Honestly, I prefer blue lightning to 'roided out Marvel vs. Capcom art at this point in time. Both have been played out, but MvC more so more recently.  :dunno

I kinda like the color patterns of the MvC sample, minus the characters.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »
Yeah, man, 90s me never thought I'd say this but damned if we need another cabinet with Ryu on the side.  It's turned into the next Weecade. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:56:05 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 02:55:02 pm »
Yeah, man, 90s me never thought I'd say this but damned if we need another cabinet with Ryu on the side.  It's turned into the next Weecade.

:laugh2: :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 03:05:52 pm »
I kinda like the color patterns of the MvC sample, minus the characters.

I think that'd look pretty good.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Benzinbruder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2016, 07:38:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade cabinet!
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 07:34:05 am »
As for the joystick placement, I have no problem using the 4-way joystick.  My hand fits right in between the two 8-way sticks and is comfortable.  So is using the Asteroids layout on the top row (doubling as admin buttons).

Yeah, but in your layout the 4-way sits directly in between the two P1 sticks and not above the right P1 stick.
Do you see what I mean?

Frank Drebin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2022, 04:27:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2014, 11:05:40 am »
If you can't go to a forum that is dedicated to building and enjoying home arcade machines to share your excitement in acquiring one, where can you go?  As far as i know there isn't a "Buy" your own arcade forum.

If I can, with anything in general I'd rather build it myself than pay someone to do it for me, but I certainly don't look down or chide someone who doesn't have the tools, resources, time, or desire to do it themselves.  Comes off as rather catty and insecure.  Nice acquisition!

Your use of a credit card is truly amazing, can't wait to learn your techniques from the build thread.

good day.

rawbe

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 09:58:11 pm
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2014, 11:59:58 am »
The thread title kinda leads one to believe someone is about to start a journey into the Mame build abyss. I clicked wondering who the brave soul was only to learn he was a dude ready to drop some cash to buy one. That's cool but not what I was excepting.

After being in the hobby for a couple of years I have learned that the really cool Mame cabs show off the builder's personality, style, and talents. It takes time, energy, and plenty of trial and error. It can take years to complete! Mame builders take pride in their cab (I do and it's not near as fancy as most but fits me……for now  ;D) so I can see why making an annoucement could lead to a few snarky replies.

I wish you luck with your purchase and I hope it is delivered safely.

PS: Maybe you could use your own graphics/theme/marquee/CPO instead of the lightning theme?  Then it would look more like you and less like eBay. Also, you could have the programmer customize the frontend with your name and matching cab graphics.

If you can't go to a forum that is dedicated to building and enjoying home arcade machines to share your excitement in acquiring one, where can you go?  As far as i know there isn't a "Buy" your own arcade forum.

If I can, with anything in general I'd rather build it myself than pay someone to do it for me, but I certainly don't look down or chide someone who doesn't have the tools, resources, time, or desire to do it themselves.  Comes off as rather catty and insecure.  Nice acquisition!

Your use of a credit card is truly amazing, can't wait to learn your techniques from the build thread.

good day.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:01:33 pm by rawbe »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2014, 12:00:10 pm »
As for the joystick placement, I have no problem using the 4-way joystick.  My hand fits right in between the two 8-way sticks and is comfortable.  So is using the Asteroids layout on the top row (doubling as admin buttons).

Yeah, but in your layout the 4-way sits directly in between the two P1 sticks and not above the right P1 stick.
Do you see what I mean?
Ah, yes.  You are right!  It would be hard to use that 4-way with the right-sided 8-way joystick in the way!
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 11:51:18 pm »
My biggest fear would be not knowing how to repair my own machine. I own plenty of things I can't fix like the hvac or my cars but those are pretty easy to find repair people.

realmswalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2014, 05:40:25 pm
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2014, 04:42:57 pm »
So it's done and ready to ship, I had the builder make all joystick orient the same way, and I am happy with the way it looks. Should be here in about a week and a half.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2014, 04:52:46 pm »
Cool, looks like your family is going to have a lot of fun with that!  :cheers:

So it's done and ready to ship, I had the builder make all joystick orient the same way, and I am happy with the way it looks. Should be here in about a week and a half.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:44:38 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2014, 05:01:24 pm »
I give it 6 weeks before the wife is hanging laundry off it.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2014, 05:16:45 pm »
We'll want a video of it in use when it shows up.

realmswalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2014, 06:31:33 pm »
No wife to hang laundry off it, but i may throw some dirty socks at it if looks at me wrong.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2014, 12:17:12 am »

No, a FULL in-depth video tour of the in and outs of the machine.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2014, 03:23:44 am »
Some people would rather have a classic car that they restored imperfectly than one done by a professional restorer, and some people get as much or more satisfaction doing the building, refurbishing, crafting, or creating than they do using whatever it is they fixed or created.  The only time I will judge someone for going one way or another is when they claim credit for something they didn't do.  Otherwise there is nothing wrong with paying someone else to do the work, in my opinion. 

Besides, MOST EVERYONE here is using something in their cabinets that they didn't make.  It is like the biker buildoff shows on TV.. One guy will buy a frame, motor, transmission, and all the pieces and parts, modify a tank and fender, put custom paint on it and say he built the bike from scratch.  The next will build the frame with a jig, roll the fenders from sheet metal, build the motor and trans, and fabricate nearly every other piece from scratch.  The one who did everything might criticize the other as being a "cake decorator" because they didn't even build their own custom frame, but when it comes down to it, none of them are mining the metals, or refining their own chunks of aluminum or steel, or machining engine parts, or making brake lines.. To some degree, every builder is just a guy who assembles things.  The real difference is in the finished product, which can be great even if it was all bolt on parts purchased out of a magazine.  Sure there is an appreciation you will get for good workmanship, but that shouldn't mean that someone who can't build their own motor or create their own frame from scratch should just stay out of the hobby completely.  MOST motorcycle enthusiasts buy a complete bike when they first get into it.  Why should any hobby be any different?  And if their first bike (or 10th) is from a respected customizer or builder, then I can't see why they wouldn't show it off.

I can claim I built my cabinet from the ground up, and for the most part that is true.  But I didn't create the interface, I didn't mold the buttons or fabricate the joysticks.  I only created 15% of the wiring myself, the rest is pre-wired harnesses.  I bought the monitor and assembled the computer from parts I bought or found.  I used software other people created, and even took ideas from what other people had done already to create something that is unique for me but pretty generic in the eyes of the veteran hobbyist.  Even the art I used was mostly recycled or stolen. 

What sets me apart from the OP here is he spent his time at a job he knew well and used the money he earned there to buy what he wanted.  I spent most of my time in a shop doing the labor.  Frankly, I would have been better off financially if I had worked for all those hours and paid someone else to do the work.  But I am one of those who gets the enjoyment from putting parts together and making it work. 

I used to assemble all my own computers and then all the computers at work.  After about the 400th, I started ordering Dell or HP, and I can't tell you how relieved I am to not have to deal with the hassle of building a computer.  Sure, it costs a little more, but for what they pay me, the tradeoff is worth it.  I can spend that time doing things that make the company more money.  I used to think that companies that would pay a grand for a computer that costs $400 in parts was just ignorant and wasteful or lacking any talent in their IT department.  And then I learned that sometimes you should stick to what you know and pay someone to do the things they do best. 

BTW, a month ago I was pretty happy with my tankstick and xtension cabinet.  So were my kids and family, and my brother ended up buying it from me, which is the only reason I ended up building one.  I knew what I wanted after that and decided to build it myself this time around.  If what I had before fit my needs, it would have been more than enough for me..

To each their own..

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2014, 06:21:41 am »
I give it 6 weeks before the wife is hanging laundry off it.

I just about spit my coffee all over my laptop when I read this. You are the master of taking something potentially fun and enjoyable and smashing the idea into pieces. The things you say sometimes are so friggin ridiculous I just have to laugh, classic pbj...just, classic  :laugh2:

Kier

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2019, 07:40:00 pm
  • !
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2014, 07:04:12 am »
That thing really has 7 joysticks?

At first I thought what the hell, then I am like, damn, you can kick somebodies ass on Karate Champ I bet.

I myself preferred your earlier photo, the non-lightning. But if you like it, cool. Have fun, enjoy!

So funny to see where this bushiness has grown. My brother tried to get me to make and sell these 18 years ago after my build, back in the old "sidewinder hack days". I just laughed at him. I still laugh considering my build was scratch and done with only a jig saw, electric tape on the edges instead of T-molding, home made printed side art. But it has beer holders, and it was cheap. I really need to do another build, lol.

Dungeonsdeep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2015, 02:20:01 pm
  • Pizza!
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2014, 10:03:06 am »

That is one obese cabinet.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2014, 07:29:12 pm »

No, a FULL in-depth video tour of the in and outs of the machine.

Just for the record, I wasn't making fun. I'm seriously curious about the build quality, and how certain things were done.  If I can do things cheaper that hold up longer then it's a benefit to me. You gotta think for something that's semi mass produced there are a few best practices I can steal.

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2014, 01:32:24 am »
And if their first bike (or 10th) is from a respected customizer or builder, then I can't see why they wouldn't show it off.
A "respected builder" would help the community, not hurt it by taking community work that is given away freely with a single condition (don't sell this).  This crap only encourages others to steal from the people volunteering info/work and discourages sharing of new ideas/detailed information.

Ever wonder how things seemingly get built without plans or dimensions?  Or why graphic files are hard to get?  They used to be openly shared.  It's kind of sad really.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2014, 09:56:05 am »
What I wonder is how well they lock down stuff that doesn't work perfectly.
I sold my old setup consisting of an x-arcade and a PC to a friend.  A week later, I get a phone call asking why the controls in the driving games don't work properly.  :banghead:
I should not have shown him how to access the "all games list"

I also wonder how much stuff they get screwed out of...
Is HLSL enabled and tweaked to look good on those big screens?
Are Demul gun games included even though only player 1 works?
Are Taito Type X games included?  Some of those are pretty recent games to be getting away with bootlegging.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2014, 09:59:31 am »
Ever wonder how things seemingly get built without plans or dimensions?  Or why graphic files are hard to get?  They used to be openly shared.  It's kind of sad really.

I have to say, I've never had any issues sharing my ideas.  As a matter a fact I think it's awesome, especially when I see my stuff on other cabs.  (Maximus Arcade lightning theme comes to mind, it's all over youtube).  I've shared my Smash TV dual stick layout from my first quad cab as well.  There's nothing like hearing in a project announcement post that I've inspired someone with my layout or artwork or whatever.

And the contributions don't stop there.  I'm planning to release a new MAME intro this month for all to use.   :cheers:

DeLuSioNaL29
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:01:36 am by DeLuSioNal29 »

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 10:47:36 am »
I would share anything I have done to date with anyone who asked, not that anything I have done is worthy of being shared, lol.  One of the things I was looking for when I started was a scale layout of a 4 player CP.  I found dozens upon dozens of different pictures of CP's, but only a couple vector drawings of the layout, and all I wanted was something to give me a sense of scale and size.  I realize many people do layout manually, but you know there are tons of people out there who draw things up on the computer first..  That is why when I posted my CP on the forum, I also posted the PDF that I used to drill all my holes.  Hopefully someone who is looking for a similar layout will find it and can use it.

If I were ever to sell anything "retail", I would make sure it is locked down so nothing could be modified, then I would have a limited warranty that says if anything is modified and something stops working, I will not support it.  At most I would set the whole computer up the way I know it works, make an image of the drive, and include a CD that will restore the image if anything stops working.  This is basically what Dell and HP and all those guys do things, and I wouldn't do anything different.  Usually anyone who buys prebuilt has no interest in taking it apart to see how it works.. it is the kids or other family members who end up doing that.  So you get very specific on what is covered under warranty and what isn't, and you stick to it.  "Oh, you tried to add a bunch of unsupported games and now your configuration is all jacked up?  Just reboot and press F10 and select the option to restore the drive to factory settings, have a nice day."

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2014, 07:50:31 pm »
I agree, I'm totally down for sharing what I can from my builds. I know for a fact that there are two other cabs being planned/built with my side panel dimensions. That's just cool to know you designed something awesome or practical enough that others would want to use it.

The only thing that would make me sad is seeing a company use something of mine for profit without first asking or even bothering to give credit.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:52:54 pm by ChanceKJ »

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2014, 06:47:33 pm »
If you have to pull off the CP to get the unit through a door, does it have the proper connectors to do so?
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2014, 07:37:21 pm »
If you have to pull off the CP to get the unit through a door, does it have the proper connectors to do so?
My guess is that the CP will be removed before the delivery and he needs to assemble it when it arrives.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2014, 03:00:58 pm »
My CP only has 2 pairs of wires (coin door and 5v) and 3 usb's to connect.. I could easily make a 4 pin molex for the 4 wires and an extension port or hub to make it super easy to plug in, so I imagine this one would have something similar. 

realmswalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 03:18:32 pm »
I got my cabinet on wednesday and control panel on friday.  Spent some time this weekend playing with it, getting the systems and controls tweaked, and a little playing time with my brother.  I'll do a more in depth review when time permits.  As I am totally clueless as to what it takes to build one of these cabinets, please tell me what you want covered in my review. 

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2014, 03:26:26 pm »
Congrats!  A pic of the actual cabinet would be great!   :applaud:

Enjoy it!

DeLuSioNaL29

realmswalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2014, 09:33:40 pm »
some pics
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:42:35 pm by realmswalker »

realmswalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2014, 09:36:54 pm »
more pics
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:44:41 pm by realmswalker »

realmswalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2014, 09:45:29 pm »
Last pic. Holsters for light guns are on their way.

Overall I am extremely happy.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2014, 10:57:01 pm »
Wow. Impressive!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2014, 11:17:49 pm »
That's pretty cool.  Congrats.   Any pics inside of the back of the cab?

realmswalker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2014, 11:45:22 pm »
I will post some pics tomorrow of the back and inside.

Dawgz Rule

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:38:07 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2014, 05:26:49 am »
Enjoy!! :cheers:

bulbousbeard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2015, 11:58:25 pm
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2014, 10:46:59 am »
I want to see Big Blue running on that monstrosity.  >:D

Those 4:3 Hyperspin themes look so awful stretched out to 16:9.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2014, 01:20:09 pm »
Awesome man! I have been really tempted to get one of those myself, just can't justify the cost right now. I would love to see the pics of the back of the cabinet though!